Would you be OK with Sid/Geno playing for another NHL team?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would you be OK with Sid/Geno playing for another NHL team?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
This is purely hypothetical, obviously, but with all the talk about rebuilding, picking a lane etc... how would you feel if Sid and/or Geno got traded or walked?

Would you applaud ownership/staff for taking a tough decision, or put the blame on them for allowing them to leave? Any other emotions or thoughts? Again, purely hypothetical. If they are traded, assume Penguins get a reasonable haul. What reasonable means in this context is up to you.

Me, I want them to be lifers - but I'm more of a passive fan anyway, so interested to hear what you think.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Both should stay, but I hope both retire as soon as possible so the Penguins can get their rebuild started.

Hoping both retire after the 2026 season so they can get one more Olympic appearance.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd prefer they retire Penguins but I don't really care if they play elsewhere. If they want out, trade 'em. If they want to retire on a team circling the drain as anything of value is dealt, let 'em. Simple as that imo.

Reactions: NikolaiCakebreaker

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Being real, at this point, whatever happens I'd probably be fine with it five years later as long as there's no sourness or animosity. It's a weird situation and life is bigger.

But as long as they're down for it, I'm down for them to be lifers.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Sid can go!

As long as he comes to Western New York!

1719940107472.png

I wish....

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'd rather turn the page and start looking to the future. Their presence on this team keeps the "retool" and "win now" mentality going.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We are going to be absolute trash once they retire and there's no promises that we luck into two generational talents again. Rebuilds can be LONG and PAINFUL as so many teams have shown.

I'm not in a hurry is fall off the cliff. I'm okay at this point "trying to be competitive while collecting for the future". That's appropriate. Both Sid and Geno have earned that.

We knew these days would be coming, which is why I tried to tell people to just enjoy the Cup runs when they were happening instead of bitching incessantly.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If THIS is what they chose to do with the core's remaining time then yes... I probably would have been happier had Letang and Malkin left a couple seasons ago and Sid signed with his buddy in Colorado or something. It's a sentence I didn't think I'd ever say and (mostly) mean but here we are. These guys deserve way better than an unserious team playing garbage hockey for a doofus coach while having their own fans call them washed up and useless.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I was convinced Malkin would have moved to the KHL by now as recently as 2020. I really thought he would play out his final years there.

Both should retire Penguins. The thought of them on another team absolutely disgusts me, and it’s pretty special for your legacy to be on the same team your entire career as an elite player. But I do hope Geno retires earlier lol.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I love what Sid and Geno have done for the team, but ultimately I root for the Penguins, not for individual players. If they can be moved to help this team win again, then I am for it.

We are going to be absolute trash once they retire and there's no promises that we luck into two generational talents again. Rebuilds can be LONG and PAINFUL as so many teams have shown.

I'm not in a hurry is fall off the cliff. I'm okay at this point "trying to be competitive while collecting for the future". That's appropriate. Both Sid and Geno have earned that.

We knew these days would be coming, which is why I tried to tell people to just enjoy the Cup runs when they were happening instead of bitching incessantly.
The Penguins are trash now though. Did you honestly enjoy following them last year? I sure as shit did not and do not want another half dozen years of it just so was can say they never played for another team.

Reactions: ncm7772 and td_ice

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I am not a fan of a middling team. Get some young guys spend a few years hopefully get 1 or talentes Guys like the Montreal Canadiens and hope you can get into the playoffs.

We are going to the route of the San Jose Sharks where they delayed the rebuild after the finals. Should have started the rebuild in 2019/2020 but it only started in 2023.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Their choice, but the rebuild needs to start. This team is going to be mediocre to bad even with Crosby playing at a high level. As long as they're ok with that they can retire penguins. If they want to go elsewhere I'm ok with that as it will bring in assets and accelerate the rebuild.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I am fine if either, neither, or both want to move on. They've both earned the right to their NMCs, but the team is shitty enough keeping them won't make them a contender.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I love what Sid and Geno have done for the team, but ultimately I root for the Penguins, not for individual players. If they can be moved to help this team win again, then I am for it.

The Penguins are trash now though. Did you honestly enjoy following them last year? I sure as shit did not and do not want another half dozen years of it just so was can say they never played for another team.
They were on the cusp of the playoffs last year. Doesn't mean they would have won it all but a PP goal in 2-3 games changes the course of the season. It was disappointing, sure but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy watching. The last 15 games or so were exciting to see if they'd make it.

I didn't like how Sullivan influenced Dubas to build the team but it is what it is. Only Pittsburgh fans would hold the viewpoint of "you're either Super Bowl ./ Stanley Cup / World Series contenders or you're garbage not worth watching".

Reactions: Factorial and Trade

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Both have earned the right to do whatever the hell they want imo.

It would be hard to stomach, but it would be just as fun to see them on a great team again as long as it isn’t one in the Metro.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I just hope he let's management know his intention at the start of the season and he can choose his destination come trade deadline. For me, the more I think of it, the more I think Sid will want to leave. I'm sure he has not accepting missing the playoffs consecutive years...

I'm starting to think that even Sid, that was convinced he would never play with any other franchise in this league is thinking about it after the departure of Jake and direction of this team!

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
It's not up to me anyway. I would have preferred Sid not get concussed. So it is fine if they do.

I won't hold them in any less light if they WANT to play somewhere else.

They did what they could. Made us less of a joke for a long time. Just no NYR or PHI

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I guess people could fairly ask why I'd want to see these three move along to another team if I'm such a huge fan. Whereas I guess I'd posit if you are such a huge fan why would you want to see them here at this point? They've done all they can and they are being repaid by a bunch of mealy-mouthed dorks and guys who should be working a used car lot somewhere.

Reactions: Gurglesons

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
They were on the cusp of the playoffs last year. Doesn't mean they would have won it all but a PP goal in 2-3 games changes the course of the season. It was disappointing, sure but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy watching. The last 15 games or so were exciting to see if they'd make it.

I didn't like how Sullivan influenced Dubas to build the team but it is what it is. Only Pittsburgh fans would hold the viewpoint of "you're either Super Bowl ./ Stanley Cup / World Series contenders or you're garbage not worth watching".
There is a large distance between where the Penguins were last year and being Stanley Cup Contenders. They couldn't even beat out the trash at the bottom of the playoff standings in the East. If they had made it, not a single person here or anywhere else would have considered them to be a serious threat to win it all. Most people would have expected a quick first round exit like the last I forget how many times they actually made the playoffs. I can do without another 5 or so years of this before the team gets to bottom out fully and try to rebound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad