Would you be happy if Stan Bowman was hired as Oiler GM? Reinstated by the NHL

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your reaction if Stan Bowman is hired as GM?

• Not Happy

Votes: 61 43.6%
  • He was never convicted of a crime

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Happy

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • He should never work again in the NHL

Votes: 53 37.9%
  • unsure

Votes: 12 8.6%

• Total voters

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Jackson just completed one of the best free agent days we have ever had considering the circumstances, why not leave him in the job? Bowman blows, it’s idiotic to even consider the clown

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I'm not putting a lot of stock I put into this rumour. It seems to have originated from Strickland, who also said that Holland would be taking over in Columbus, and generally doesn't seem to know (expletive) all about the Oilers. A bunch of east coast reporters with no knowledge of the oilers have been parroting this. As for Seravalli, he said "I think he was on the Oilers list one year ago when they ended up hiring Jeff Jackson". I don't interpret that as Jackson having him on his list, it seems like the Oilers (probably Nicholson, which fully checks out) were looking at him as a Holland replacement before they pivoted to Jackson.

Jackson strikes me as someone who plays his cards very close to his vest, but he also doesn't outright lie in the media. He has repeatedly said he wanted to interview a number of candidates who are integral parts of other NHL organizations, and can't start that until after the draft and free agency. If he already wanted to hire Bowman, he could just say "We've made some progress on the GM front. Nothing is finalized yet, but we're looking at some options and should have something to announce soon".

Maybe I'll be proven very wrong, but I'm going to take JJ at his word and assume he will interview some people he knows and likes, with an eye to hiring someone experienced who thinks the game the same way he does. I am still leaning toward names like Botterill, Gillman, or even Nonis as fulfilling that description. If they just wanted the longest resume, they could have kept Holland.

Reactions: McAsuno

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I'm not putting a lot of stock I put into this rumour. It seems to have originated from Strickland, who also said that Holland would be taking over in Columbus, and generally doesn't seem to know (expletive) all about the Oilers. A bunch of east coast reporters with no knowledge of the oilers have been parroting this. As for Seravalli, he said "I think he was on the Oilers list one year ago when they ended up hiring Jeff Jackson". I don't interpret that as Jackson having him on his list, it seems like the Oilers (probably Nicholson, which fully checks out) were looking at him as a Holland replacement before they pivoted to Jackson.

Jackson strikes me as someone who plays his cards very close to his vest, but he also doesn't outright lie in the media. He has repeatedly said he wanted to interview a number of candidates who are integral parts of other NHL organizations, and can't start that until after the draft and free agency. If he already wanted to hire Bowman, he could just say "We've made some progress on the GM front. Nothing is finalized yet, but we're looking at some options and should have something to announce soon".

Maybe I'll be proven very wrong, but I'm going to take JJ at his word and assume he will interview some people he knows and likes, with an eye to hiring someone experienced who thinks the game the same way he does. I am still leaning toward names like Botterill, Gillman, or even Nonis as fulfilling that description. If they just wanted the longest resume, they could have kept Holland.
Yeah, people thought the Oilers would hire Gallant or Boudreau as head coach but he had identified Knoblauch.

Obviously Gallant and Boudreau don't have Bowman's baggage but they were experienced names that Jackson didn't fall for.

Hope Bowman is just a name the media feels duty bound to connect the dots on.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I don't think the Oilers want this guy--for a number of reasons.

I still say let Jackson be the President/GM and he can delegate some stuff to Keith Gretzky or other managers in the organization.

I really believe in "less management" and the recent showing on free agent day demonstrates that you don't need a really expensive high profile guy to come in---you just need somebody with a bit of savvy who can handle a number of jobs. Experience and reputation are certainly relevant but often overrated.

Keeping it simple is usually the best strategy.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Bowman is almost a perfect clone of Holland and Chia. Right place at the right time inheriting a great core of players to build a reputation from. Then loads of mediocrity after. Wasn't he even another Hockey Canada bro with those guys?

Don't do it a third time Katz, please.

Of course the baggage he brings would make it even worse and failure with him that much more embarrassing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad