Would Walter Gretzky, as a member the working class, will be able to afford hockey today?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Good question, but maybe don't use Gretzky as your example. If a kid is just a pretty good player with hopes of an NHL career, it's extremely expensive to pay for travel, equipment, etc.

Maybe a more specific way to frame the question would be to ask if there are many examples of NHL players who were raised in lower-income families. Do today's better players in Juniors somehow have their expenses paid?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
It appears that the sport of hockey is becoming too expensive for working class families..

I noticed that Walter Gretzky's job was working as a telephone repairman , a working class job...

If Walter was a father today, will he be able to afford ice hockey for his son Wayne in this era?

Not all working class jobs are created equal. Especially if you get into a trades that represented by Unions. Benefits, healthcare, insurance. I know many appliance repairmen, plumbers and Electricians making 40 dollars an hour or more. Its not a field where you usually struggle financially.

Working class people that have a good knowledge of investing and budgeting for the future will not struggle financially. Sure you might have to put in some more overtime hours to pay for your kids equipment, but this stereotype that someone working class people can't get into hockey in 2021 is over exaggerated. People of blue collar communities have representation in the hockey community. The cool thing about Canada and the hockey culture is if you live in a small town its even easier as there are a lot of community based drives and support in terms of local rinks and small town attitudes about communities helping each other out. Its why in Sask there is a huge boom of aboriginal hockey players and the numbers will keep increasing.

Its not all doom and gloom. Yes it is expensive, as maintaining indoor ice rinks are not cheap, but its not out of reach for most people.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
If you can handle budgeting, you can afford a lot more things than you think.

Maybe so, but one can’t squeeze water from a stone.

All the budgeting in the world wont help with the costs of high end hockey these days if that family just doesn't make enough. Sure, maybe some house league hockey, and maybe a little spring hockey with a camp for a week thrown into the summer. But to play the high end stuff needed for proper development and scouting , plus the off ice training etc required now a days is far out of the reach of your average family.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
It appears that the sport of hockey is becoming too expensive for working class families..

I noticed that Walter Gretzky's job was working as a telephone repairman , a working class job...

If Walter was a father today, will he be able to afford ice hockey for his son Wayne in this era?
Yes.
I know plenty of "Working class" people who's kids play hockey.

Like, WTF??

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

What do you mean appears? and becoming?

It's always been too expensive.

Growing up in NYC ice was no where to be found

pads? Goalies old abandoned couch cushions (no cup) / no blocker / a 1st basemans mitt for a catching glove

skaters? Sunday newspaper taped to your shins (no cup)

a puck? A sanded down roll of Scotch 88 Electrical tape.

hardly anyone wore aa helmet.

Hockey has ALWASY been an expensive sport

Thank goodness for spots like Play it Again so that folks could get cheaper equipmeent.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
RIP narrative.

Yeah just because he worked a day job doesn't mean he was "working class" like the vast majority of people are living pay cheque to pay cheque etc... so while hockey has obviously become too expensive and out of reach for many, I doubt someone like Walter Gretzky would ever have trouble putting his kids into hockey, today, or at any point.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Competitive minor hockey in Canada can cost a family $10-15K/yr (ice time, travel, tournaments, $300 sticks, $500 skates... aint cheap)
House league hockey can cost a family $2-3K/year

This is way out of reach for a lot of families.

I grew up poor. My brother took out a line of credit to pay for his last 2 years of junior. A big reason he left the sport was to work on the rigs to pay off that debt. I never stood a ghost of a chance of making the NHL but I'm convinced that if we were born into wealth (and if we didn't live in rural butt **** nowhere) that he would have made it.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Competitive minor hockey in Canada can cost a family $10-15K/yr (ice time, travel, tournaments, $300 sticks, $500 skates... aint cheap)
House league hockey can cost a family $2-3K/year

This is way out of reach for a lot of families.

So, like $500 US? :sarcasm:

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
You missed the part where he was also the descendants of land owning aristocrats in the Russian Empire

And it's 25 more acres then anyone I know ever owned
Aristocrats can be poor technically. It only for sure means their ancestors had money and or influence , and they inherited it.

That’s knowledge of a few different countries history tho, not Russia and they’re not necessarily all the same as Russia

also “rich” in another country can just mean “not as poor as most people” lol

even if they had money in Russian empire, they might have lost it coming over (I’m not sure if they just left, or left when people were getting, you know)

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
You missed the part where he was also the descendants of land owning aristocrats in the Russian Empire

And it's 25 more acres then anyone I know ever owned

To play devil's advocate. Didn't those descendants get everything taken from them by the Bolsheviks? The ones that survived anyways since there was essentially a purge of the royal family and all of its loyalists.

They might have been rich pre Russian revolution, but i doubt they were able to hold onto to their assets and Lenin was assembling quite a collection of followers as well as writing Beatles songs. Talented man that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad