Would the Wings have put up a better effort against NYR?

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
The games would've been 100% more entertaining, but the Rangers offense against Lyon or Reimer? Still a sweep

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
A triple overtime loss with Lalonde still holding onto his timeout would have made for good post-game reading.

Fester bulb timeout.jpg

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
yes, would have been way better hockey.

All the metrics point to the Wings being a far better team than Washington, minus the dumb tie-breaker, and I guess minus the ability to score empty net goals in tied games.

That Caps team is so unbelievably bad, by far the worst playoff team in the last 10+ years. Next season I think they finish in the bottom 10, maybe bottom 5.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
But would they have been checked out as they were in both games against Arizona or that 1st period against Columbus?

You really would expect an Arizona level of effort if they made the playoffs for the first time in 7 years?

Why even bother being a fan...

Reactions: SoupNazi

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Losing to teams like ANA, BUF, OTT, ARI, SJ was not because of a stupid rule.

True. The Wings could have controlled their own fate.

But it is also kind of absurd that a team with fewer wins got into the playoffs. It's all a result of the NHL's stupid loser point system.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
True. The Wings could have controlled their own fate.

But it is also kind of absurd that a team with fewer wins got into the playoffs. It's all a result of the NHL's stupid loser point system.
Yeah, but it is what it is, but if we were still on the old system (W-L-T) I think the wings would have been 27-32-23 = 77 points and the Caps would been 32-31-19 = 83 points, so I can see where the RW's would carry more weight, but since the empathizes was to eliminate the Ties, it is hard to swallow, so yes, they should dump the loser point, no 3 point games, or dump OT and go back to having ties for regular season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I'm going back and collecting all my PKs from this season. I pull up the GDT, grab the PK and paste it into a spreadsheet, then for gigs and shittles skim the whole GDT and then watch awood40's highlight video of the game.

It's a little insane, but I'm only doing a handful each day, and it's a fun review. Also very interesting, especially the predictions of some of the regulars. I'm just getting into the Dark Times, as I just finished the Ottawa game where Larks went down and @Dallas game is next up.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm going back and collecting all my PKs from this season. I pull up the GDT, grab the PK and paste it into a spreadsheet, then for gigs and shittles skim the whole GDT and then watch awood40's highlight video of the game.

It's a little insane, but I'm only doing a handful each day, and it's a fun review. Also very interesting, especially the predictions of some of the regulars. I'm just getting into the Dark Times, as I just finished the Ottawa game where Larks went down and @Dallas game is next up.
HAHAHA, nice, I wonder how crazy I acted just 3-5 months ago.

I don't even know how to do what you are doing but I'd love to look back on some real whooper takes I for sure had.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, but it is what it is, but if we were still on the old system (W-L-T) I think the wings would have been 27-32-23 = 77 points and the Caps would been 32-31-19 = 83 points, so I can see where the RW's would carry more weight, but since the empathizes was to eliminate the Ties, it is hard to swallow, so yes, they should dump the loser point, no 3 point games, or dump OT and go back to having ties for regular season.
I think the NHL should change the rules just for us instead of doing things to be better as an organization. Tough watching rules written out before the season play a role on the final game of the year.

On a serious note, dumb rule or not, why are we upset with the NHL? For enforcing the situation, that the Red Wings, put themselves in?

Last edited:

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota

I don't even know how to do what you are doing but I'd love to look back on some real whooper takes I for sure had.
Oh, we've all been bozos on this bus at one time or another, IMO. ;)

And it's not sophisticated especially with the Search function still humped - I think the season starts somewhere back on page 11 of this forum or so. I'm up to page 9 so far:

awood40's stuff is on YouTube.

voila!

When I have them all safely on my spreadsheet I wil get them into the single PK thread Bench created for me a while back, somehow. It's something to do with no hockey to watch. :)

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

Snuggs,

I think what Dalem is saying is that he wants you to be the Jimmy Howard to his John Keating.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Absolutely. In my mind washington was a team that was going down in 4 or 5 games. Just don't have it at this point and surprised they made the playoffs. I think Detroit would match up alot better vs NYR. Probably would still lose, but I still think they'd have a better shot at beating them.

Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad