• Depends on Injuries

Votes: 7 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Badly outplayed in the first round. Even in that final game, Avs were the better team. Did the Jets get more than one good quality shot on net with the extra attacker? Looking at the shot chart Avs had just as many or more quality scoring chances in the third as the jets. Not much of a push by the Jets considering it was an elimination game.

Given the team's regular season, it has to be considered a big disappointment.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
What just happened? I think in an alternate universe the Jets shut them out in 4 straight games.
Frauds and failure of a season. Failed to address the issues that resulted in this collapse.

Reactions: rkp

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I could handle losing to the Avalanche in a tough dragged out series. But the way they went out is a disaster of epic proportions.
Might be one of the worst playoff defeats in the history of the league.

Absolute SHAM of a team.

I said it last year (after the team folded like a cheap suit) and I will say it again

FIRE EVERYONE
TRADE EVERYONE

I hate being a fan of this team. FFS it is embarrassing year after year after year.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I could handle losing to the Avalanche in a tough dragged out series. But the way they went out is a disaster of epic proportions.
Set a league record for most goals allowed in a series.

Pathetic. Embarassing. Catastrophic.

I consider this season the most epic failure of Jets 2.0. Last year's team wasn't even that good in the regular season, and they still put up more of a fight than this iteration did. Same with previous seasons. This team is getting worse.

I am 100% with you. I wouldn't even be mad if it was a hard fought series and we weren't setting new league records for patheticness.

Might be one of the worst playoff defeats in the history of the league.

Absolute SHAM of a team.

I said it last year (after the team folded like a cheap suit) and I will say it again

FIRE EVERYONE
TRADE EVERYONE

I hate being a fan of this team. FFS it is embarrassing year after year after year.
I feel you. Agree with everything you wrote here.

I can't be a fan of another team though. I think I might just call it quits on NHL hockey. This is neither entertaining nor fun. The whole point of watching sports is entertainment, and this isn't it's just infuriating.

Reactions: JetsUK and rkp

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Why is it a “choke”? We finished three points ahead of them. They had 107 points this season.
It is a choke because they epically failed at what the team strength was supposed to be. Vezina and Jennings trophy goalie with a sub .850 save percentage and almost 6 goals a game against.

The team choked plain and simple.

3 playoffs in a row the team has been destroyed. Time for a full scale rebuild.

Reactions: ERYX and DRW204

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Bowness and crew got this group to overachieve in the regular season with solid 5 man system and dedication to defending against high danger chances. There is only so much that a much weaker roster can do against the fast and highest scoring offense in the league. Their #1 C has 2X the production of ours as one simple example. Relying on D guys like Pionk, Schmidt and Stanley to go anywhere in the playoffs is not a recipe for success, expecially against a fast, skilled crew like the Avs. And it turns out that the deadline trades that we made actually made our team slower and less effective against our first round opponent. Helle didn't lose this series, but he sure didn't win any games for us either. The adjustments that coaching tried didn't help and the Jets didn't start playing desperation playoff hockey until last night. The Avs were on their game from game 1 and frankly should have won that game too. It feels bad right now, but I don't think that nearly enough credit is being given to just how good the Avs really are.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Bowness and crew got this group to overachieve in the regular season with solid 5 man system and dedication to defending against high danger chances. There is only so much that a much weaker roster can do against the fast and highest scoring offense in the league. Their #1 C has 2X the production of ours as one simple example. Relying on D guys like Pionk, Schmidt and Stanley to go anywhere in the playoffs is not a recipe for success, expecially against a fast, skilled crew like the Avs. And it turns out that the deadline trades that we made actually made our team slower and less effective against our first round opponent. Helle didn't lose this series, but he sure didn't win any games for us either. The adjustments that coaching tried didn't help and the Jets didn't start playing desperation playoff hockey until last night. The Avs were on their game from game 1 and frankly should have won that game too. It feels bad right now, but I don't think that nearly enough credit is being given to just how good the Avs really are.

Genuine question here...

How did they do so well against the Oilers in 2021, and so bad against the Avs this year?

In general, based on what you've outlined, that Oilers team was fast and skilled, but were largely shut down completely. I remember watching that series and at points it seemed it was impossible for the Oilers to get quality chances, let alone score them.

Were the Avs just levels above that, with more seasoned players with playoff experience?

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Genuine question here...

How did they do so well against the Oilers in 2021, and so bad against the Avs this year?

In general, based on what you've outlined, that Oilers team was fast and skilled, but were largely shut down completely. I remember watching that series and at points it seemed it was impossible for the Oilers to get quality chances, let alone score them.

Were the Avs just levels above that, with more seasoned players with playoff experience?
helle was amazing that series. a 0.950 on 40 shots per game faced. that series was really close too game-to-game. although a 4-game sweep, 3 games went to OT. +6 in goal differential overall.

this was a 5-gamer with 1 game being close overall Jets were a -13 with 0.864 sv%.

Walkingtalkingeye

Mar 28, 2012
I feel you. Agree with everything you wrote here.

I can't be a fan of another team though. I think I might just call it quits on NHL hockey. This is neither entertaining nor fun. The whole point of watching sports is entertainment, and this isn't it's just infuriating.
That sounds terrible man. Hockey is entertainment, you can't let it get to you like that. Were you at the rink yesterday? It was an awesome atmosphere, really fun to be there. The game was close and entertaining. That's the way to watch hockey.

I check in on this site sometimes (like during yesterdays game) and it's nothing but constant bitching and complaining and negativity. Of course hockey isn't going to be any fun if that's the sort of mindset people bring to every game.

I don't consider the season a failure at all. Disappointing is the word I'd use. But they were a great team all year long, finished near the top of the league, and had some fun playoff games that didn't go their way. That's all I ask for as a fan, is good effort and I think the Jets mostly gave that this series (even in Colorado. They just got their asses kicked imo, it wasn't an effort issue like the entirety of last years season). Looking forward to next year.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
That sounds terrible man. Hockey is entertainment, you can't let it get to you like that.

Yeah, exactly why I think I need to step away. Will elaborate as I respond further below ...

Were you at the rink yesterday? It was an awesome atmosphere, really fun to be there. The game was close and entertaining. That's the way to watch hockey.

No, I wasn't at the rink, I unfortunately live in Onterrible and can't even watch a live game on the rare occasions that Jets play in Toronto because of the outrageous prices. I tried applying for my old job in a bid to return to Winnipeg (they were hiring) but didn't even get a call back (despite having excellent performance reviews when I was there and having build my resume a lot since) so I'm stuck here for the long haul.

Probably only being able to watch through TV/radio is a problem, it removes that human element of being around other fans.

I check in on this site sometimes (like during yesterdays game) and it's nothing but constant bitching and complaining and negativity. Of course hockey isn't going to be any fun if that's the sort of mindset people bring to every game.

There are a lot of people who are negative all the time here, that's true. I like to think I'm not one of them. I'm generally up-beat. But what I cannot abide is a heartless team that puts up a great regular season performance and then sets new NHL records for most goals allowed in a playoff series while being absolutely steamrolled.

I have enjoyed every other season of Jets. The 2015 sweep was entertaining because the team made Anaheim earn it and they fought hard. I respect and enjoy that. I do not respect or enjoy whatever the heck this series just was.

I don't consider the season a failure at all. Disappointing is the word I'd use. But they were a great team all year long, finished near the top of the league, and had some fun playoff games that didn't go their way. That's all I ask for as a fan, is good effort and I think the Jets mostly gave that this series (even in Colorado. They just got their asses kicked imo, it wasn't an effort issue like the entirety of last years season). Looking forward to next year.

Yeah, I am not wired like that.

Reactions: Walkingtalkingeye

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Genuine question here...

IDK - others can offer more detailed assessments. From my high level think back on that series, the Oil actually out played us all 4 games statistically. They had far more High Danger chances in each of the four games. Helle was on his game and made the key saves. This series, we did not have a good version of Helle. And our special teams this series were horribad. I think we were very lucky to win that Oiler series 4 straight - we had the puck luck going our way. With good Helle, we probably were going to win that series but not 4 straight - that was an anomaly from my perspective. Some might say that the Oilers were FRAUDS that year. I wouldn't, too much variance in hockey.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the AVS team won the cup 2 years ago and bring playoff winning experience to the table. They really upped their game this year in the playoffs. Edmonton did not have that.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006
This year would definitely be considered a failure in my eyes.

There was more than one coach throughout the season that mentioned the Jets were the best team they faced this year. Where was this team in the playoffs?

Jennings trophy, 30 games in a row with less than 3 GA, Vezina candidate, depth scoring, solid team defence, and a top 4 finish in the entire league, playing in the toughest conference.

Only to get steamrolled in 5.

Enjoyable regular season but it's the end result that matters. This one really stings.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
This year would definitely be considered a failure in my eyes.

There was more than one coach throughout the season that mentioned the Jets were the best team they faced this year. Where was this team in the playoffs?

Jennings trophy, 30 games in a row with less than 3 GA, Vezina candidate, depth scoring, solid team defence, and a top 4 finish in the entire league, playing in the toughest conference.

Only to get steamrolled in 5.

Enjoyable regular season but it's the end result that matters. This one really stings.

Exactly my sentiments.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Major let down.

No shame in being beaten by the Avs, they're a great team with some of the league's best players.

The way we stunk up the last 4 games reminded me of the Vegas series last year. No heart.

Gordon112358

Nov 1, 2022
It is a choke because they epically failed at what the team strength was supposed to be. Vezina and Jennings trophy goalie with a sub .850 save percentage and almost 6 goals a game against.

The team choked plain and simple.

3 playoffs in a row the team has been destroyed. Time for a full scale rebuild.
And what do you think a full scale rebuild looks like? Move out Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Connor, Morrissey and Ehlers and load up on draft picks? Do you want to watch that over the next 5 years? People weren't going when we were top 3 in the division all year. How many show up when your closest rivals become SJ, Chi and Anaheim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad