Would the NHL reject a max length contract for Crosby?

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Reject as long as it meets current CBA contract requirements? No. I can't see why they'd do it or be allowed to do it.

Retroactively penalize the team from a cap hit perspective? Sure, maybe. Especially if it prevents other teams from doing something similar they don't like.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Considering that:
  • 35+ Rule: If a player signs a multi-year contract at the age of 35 or older, the cap hit remains on the team's salary cap even if the player retires. This rule is in place to prevent teams from circumventing the salary cap by signing older players to front-loaded contracts.

That rules, make it they do not need to care much ? the rules is already in place that a team-player cannot take advantage of retiring mid-contract. Would he fake LTIR retire, then they could act or let it go....

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I don't think there's anything in the CBA that enables the NHL to reject a deal that otherwise conforms to said CBA.

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

tomin

AintNoSeats
Dec 18, 2014
If the pens don’t want him they need to tell him. Offering a deal that they know the league turns down and hiding / using the league as an excuse is pretty mid management tactic, imo.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Considering that:
  • 35+ Rule: If a player signs a multi-year contract at the age of 35 or older, the cap hit remains on the team's salary cap even if the player retires. This rule is in place to prevent teams from circumventing the salary cap by signing older players to front-loaded contracts.

That rules, make it they do not need to care much ? the rules is already in place that a team-player cannot take advantage of retiring mid-contract. Would he fake LTIR retire, then they could act or let it go....
I think the idea is that the Pens are rebuilding in the shor-middle term and having dead capspace could help them reach the capfloor without actually paying to get there?

Or just giving a shitton of money to Crosby with Crosby LTIRing midway?

I mean, there's clearly two reasons why the Pens could opt for such a thing.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Or just giving a shitton of money to Crosby with Crosby LTIRing midway?
yes but that a risk (Crosby need to play balls, league need to play balls, etc..), the NHL have been extremely lax around it so not a bad one to take.

without actually paying to get there?
It would be a frontloaded contract for Crosby to do it, they would pay through the nose.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
It would be a frontloaded contract for Crosby to do it, they would pay through the nose.

Not necessarily. I mean, let'S say Crosby wants to retire in 3 years.
What's the difference for Crosby :
Signing 9.5 for 3 years or
Signing 9.5 for 7 years, but play only 3 years?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really see what basis the NHL would have to reject it nor do I see why either the Penguins or Crosby would want to pursue it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A max length extension would take Sid out til age 45. Would the NHL reject the contract.

Sid is hockey nut who has based his whole life around hockey. Nobody could deny that if he had goals and expectations to play til his mid 40's that he wouldn't do it. But would the NHL reject the contract?
There are still rules that you need to comply within in order to not have it be the old 35+ rule. Such as front loading the contract, signing bonuses and such. If you did break them, how much would you be on the hook for? If it's all basically even money at $10 mill per, then by rules, there is no trying to get around the cap. Main issue is the likelihood of landing on LTIR for multiple seasons.

Then, I would also wonder if Insurance would cover it as well. One thing to cover a 43 year old like Chara for 1 year, but to cover 5 years when a player is in their 40's?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Not necessarily. I mean, let'S say Crosby wants to retire in 3 years.
What's the difference for Crosby :
Signing 9.5 for 3 years or
Signing 9.5 for 7 years, but play only 3 years?
Does he make those 9.5 in the first 3 years ?

If he retire after 3 well obviously he does not get the rest.
If he fake LTIR retire after 3, he risk of not getting it, so probably want it the first 3 years... if it is to manage the cap why not have it upfront would he say (and it is not like the insurance company would accept to pay).

Unlike the Weber, Price, Toews, Hossa, this would be a particularly egregious and high profile case, more likely to get challenged

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Does he make those 9.5 in the first 3 years ?

If he retire after 3 well obviously he does not get the rest.
If he fake LTIR retire after 3, he risk of not getting it, so probably want it the first 3 years... if it is to manage the cap why not have it upfront would he say (and it is not like the insurance company would accept to pay).

Unlike the Weber, Price, Toews, Hossa, this would be a particularly egregious and high profile case, more likely to get challenged
Front loading now has to be within a certain percent of the AAV now, to avoid those type contracts of the past.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I really don’t get all these League interventions on rules that exist. Fix your loopholes. If Vegas can get away with their playoff cap BS, teams should be able to tack on years and have a >35 year old player retire early.

Also I get it’s 2024 and society is going this way, but what is legal today, should not be punished when the rules later change.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I really don’t get all these League interventions on rules that exist. Fix your loopholes. If Vegas can get away with their playoff cap BS, teams should be able to tack on years and have a >35 year old player retire early.
The rules say they can do both, but that cap hit stay, making them keep the cap hit would be not changing the rules after the fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
All the rules regarding recapture, or the 35+, have to deal with cap circumvention.

If he were to sign an 8 year deal between 7 and 10 million aav where the year by year salary is relatively stable across the years? There wouldn't be an issue.

If he were to sign an 8 year deal at say 3 or 4 million aav where he makes more in the first four years and a lot less in the last four? Absolutely It would get shot down.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Apparently the league was calling around and warning teams not to do this. Specifically I know they did with Toronto and Tanev.
Yes, they warn teams that try and do it, as they will be stuck with the cap hit if a player retires after 3 years.

Probably not easy if goes LTIR, then need the team doctor and 2 independent doctors every fall to sign off on it, otherwise stucjk with cap.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Apparently the league was calling around and warning teams not to do this. Specifically I know they did with Toronto and Tanev.
I get why the league would not want to start a battle with the fake LTIR retirement (no one want that can of worm to open).

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I don't think there's anything in the CBA that enables the NHL to reject a deal that otherwise conforms to said CBA.
I think the CBA gives the commissioner wide latitude to punish actions that violate “the spirit” of the salary cap/CBA, even if those actions are not explicitly prohibited by the letter of the law.

An example would be Washington trading Brooks Orpik to Colorado, Colorado buying out his contract, and Washington reacquiring him. Soon after that the league warned other teams that going forward this would be considered cap circumvention and would be punished accordingly.

Reactions: CBJx614 and cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad