Would the Leafs consider trading Matthews if they got a haul for him?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
What if the Leafs got offered a #1C, a #1D and a #1 goalie for Matthews? Even if the Leafs have to add picks to balance the trade. Would and should the Leafs do it despite just signing Matthews to a new contract that starts next season? Or is Matthews untouchable?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes.
Based on his comments on Monday I’m not convinced he’ll never lead the Leafs to a championship.

Reactions: NikolaTesla

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No, unless he asks to leave.

I get the goal for most fans is to win the cup, but Matthews is one a great player and two, such a massive marketing piece. He has a chance to go down as the best Leaf since Keon if not further back than that. While the current playoff performance of our team has been insanely disappointing, Matthews fills seats (granted anyone can do that in Leaf land, we've seen a team with JVR as the best player sell out pretty much everygame while tanking) and draws viewers.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
What if the Leafs got offered a #1C, a #1D and a #1 goalie for Matthews? Would and should the Leafs do it despite just signing Matthews to a new contract that starts next season? Or is Matthews untouchable?
No team would offer a 1C, 1D, and Starting Goalie for Matthews. I’m a Leafs fan and I’d make that deal because it actually makes the Leafs better.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Sure, if the Leafs got better for it.

That said, no team is going to gut their entire team for one player unless it had implications past on-ice performance (home town boy, connection to the city, massive revenue generator.)

In a salary cap era, that trade becomes almost impossible.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It would depend on what they were getting because it is easy to make the case his reputation and cap hit is much higher than his results.

Getting a legit #1 at each position looks like a pretty good deal to me.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What were Austons comments?
The players took little to no responsibility for the loss and accused the media and fans of creating a “scapegoat” . When compared to other leaders in the sport, he’s a disappointment both on and off the ice.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, the problem with the Maple Leafs is they needed 2-3 players not as good as Matthews, and a draft pick, instead of Matthews, the 70 goal scorer.

Reactions: Leafidelity

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
A true 1C/1D/1G would get you any player in the league. If it's just s guys that play that role on a bottom team, then probably not.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
They should think about it. 13 m cap hit, total ghost in the playoffs most of the time.
For better or worse they signed him, they might as well try to build around him. Keep him and Nylander, everyone else should be expendable. You won't get a return for Matthews that is as good as Matthews himself.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
For that package of course we'd do it, but no one will offer that much for a single player in this league

Matthews/Nylander are safe barring a huge overpayment

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
What team has those 3 pieces and would even consider trading them for 1 player ?

Demko + Hughes + Petterson ? Lmao get real, no one is offering that kind of package for anyone.

Vancouver is a rarity. Something more along the lines of Stutzle + Chabot/Chychrun + Korpisalo/Forsberg.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The players took little to know responsibility for the loss and accused the media and fans of creating a “scapegoat” . When compared to other leaders in the sport, he’s a disappointment both on and off the ice.

Then there's the problem right there. The core doesn't have the right mindset. How can you fix something when the problem doesn't take any accountability in how they can overcome their problem.

Reactions: Nineteen67

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I'd trade him for equal/greater value right this second, I doubt Matthews would waive though.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
What if the Leafs got offered a #1C, a #1D and a #1 goalie for Matthews? Even if the Leafs have to add picks to balance the trade. Would and should the Leafs do it despite just signing Matthews to a new contract that starts next season? Or is Matthews untouchable?
Well, if a team like UTAH offered their 1C (Bjugstad), 1D (Durzi) and 1G (Ingram) clearly Toronto would not do it and UTAH would love it.

Teams with actual #1's at all three positions would not be interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad