Would other players get backlash for celebrating like Ovi?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I was recently having a discussion (read: being bitched at for my opinion) and was wondering what you guys thought over here.

We've all seen Ovechkin's crazy antics during his Stanley Cup celebration, and I was wondering if a player like Crosby, Toews, McDavid, Stamkos, Thornton, or some other "good ol' canadian boy" celebrated this way would they receive backlash?

I can't help but think that if Crosby was behaving similarly to Ovechkin he would catch a lot of crap (particularly with ending his speech by slurring, stammering, and dropping an F-bomb). I can't imagine Don Cherry or some other media members not piping up if some other players were running around sloppy drunk.

For the record: I don't care that Ovi is acting this way. I wouldn't care if anyone acted this way. If you win the cup, you celebrate however you want in my opinion. Also, edit: I think McDavid would get a bit of a pass, due to being so young.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
context matters. Ovie has been battling like a warrior for 13 seasons. he's earned it.

if Crosby or anyone else had his same story, there'd be no problem. imagine if it took 13 years for Crosby to get a cup -- they probably would have closed Canada for the day to celebrate.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Ovechkin might be the most criticized player in NHL history for not winning the Cup, which is only magnified a thousandfold by the internet/social media era we live in.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I was recently having a discussion (read: being *****ed at for my opinion) and was wondering what you guys thought over here.

We've all seen Ovechkin's crazy antics during his Stanley Cup celebration, and I was wondering if a player like Crosby, Toews, McDavid, Stamkos, Thornton, or some other "good ol' canadian boy" celebrated this way would they receive backlash?

I can't help but think that if Crosby was behaving similarly to Ovechkin he would catch a lot of crap (particularly with ending his speech by slurring, stammering, and dropping an F-bomb). I can't imagine Don Cherry or some other media members not piping up if some other players were running around sloppy drunk.

For the record: I don't care that Ovi is acting this way. I wouldn't care if anyone acted this way. If you win the cup, you celebrate however you want in my opinion. Also, edit: I think McDavid would get a bit of a pass, due to being so young.
Man, you obviously haven't heard all the stories of "Good Ol' Canadian Boys" celebrating with the Cup. It makes Ovechkin look like a choir boy. Strippers, swimming pools and so much more. Man, if that Cup could talk.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Alright guys, re-read my thread please, the responses do not seem to line up with the question I'm asking...

I didn't ask if any of you have a problem with Ovechkin's behavior. I didn't ask if you'd have a problem with anyone else's behavior.

The question is: Do you think that some other players would catch some backlash for celebrating like Ovechkin?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think it’s expected from Ovi. He’s always been a high energy guy. I don’t think anyone is surprised to see how excited snd crazy Ovi has been with the cup. It’s a lot of fun.

I think if Crosby was to act the way Ovi is acting it would seem out of character but I don’t think there would be backlash

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm happy for ovi but i did think the never ending alcohol bender is a bit much.

Probably just the old man in me.

And yes ovi gets a bit more of a pass on this than the good Canadian boys.

Reactions: Hornqvists Glasses

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I think it’s expected from Ovi. He’s always been a high energy guy. I don’t think anyone is surprised to see how excited snd crazy Ovi has been with the cup. It’s a lot of fun.

I think if Crosby was to act the way Ovi is acting it would seem out of character but I don’t think there would be backlash
Exactly, it's somewhat expected of him to act this way, so ppl let him go and embrace it.

I've seen Crosby (and other 'good ol canadian boys') catch crap for less. I can only imagine the slew of "classless" or "act like you've been there" comments if Crosby celebrated that way in 2016. (I wouldn't blame people for chiding him for acting that way in 2017, as it was his 3rd one)

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
If Crosby got plastered and was swearing he probably would have gotten some "he's the face of the league, shame on him" reactions from some people, the same ones that were mad at the Pens that were drinking in the parade last year, but I don't think it's a big deal. I think there will always be critics about those things.

I kind of feel like the team and players that won it can do as they please (within reason if they're in public. Like, nothing publicly obscene or where anyone gets hurt or the Cup gets damaged.) A player just being loopy and having fun like Ovechkin seems pretty harmless.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
First of all, anyone who bitches at these players for the way they are celebrating are either fishing for clicks or are just plain old grumps (i.e. Damien Cox).

I've loved watching every second of the way these guys are embracing the moment.

That being said, I think other players would get it WAY worse. Ovi has this reputation of working hard and playing hard so when you see him swimming in a pool, it's easy to go "Ohhhh Ovi. You rapscallion."

I would almost.....cringe is the word?...if I saw Crosby doing that. Imagine seeing him in a pool swimming around like that. It would look ridiculous but it fits Ovi's style so well that it makes ya smile.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I should hope not.

Don Cherry can cry and scream all he wants but Ovy's going to keep right on going, as he should. I'd expect the same from any other Cup champ, past or present. If they feel they should be more restrained, that's on them. Ovechkin doesn't care and wants to celebrate what may be the greatest moment of his life, surrounded by friends and fans.

Nothing wrong with that.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Alright guys, re-read my thread please, the responses do not seem to line up with the question I'm asking...

I didn't ask if any of you have a problem with Ovechkin's behavior. I didn't ask if you'd have a problem with anyone else's behavior.

The question is: Do you think that some other players would catch some backlash for celebrating like Ovechkin?

They saw through your veiled anti-Ovi agenda/pro Crosby agenda. It's okay, let it flow.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013

re-read my response.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
They saw through your veiled anti-Ovi agenda/pro Crosby agenda. It's okay, let it flow.
This is pretty far from the truth. I like Ovechkin and I'm happy he's having fun and got what he has been fighting so hard for his whole career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad