Worst recent players to win the cup.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The thread about winning a cup early in a career made me wonder- who are some of the less impressive names to be put on the cup in recent years?

Nick Cousins was my first thought- I know there’s worse, I just don’t like that dude. 12 playoff games, 0 goals, 1 assist, barely a shit disturbed. Any other names stand out? I’m thinking less of black aces and tweeners, though they would count if they qualify. I’m more thinking of 4th liners who dudded more than played playoff hero, yet still won it all.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Steve Brule played a total of 30 minutes in the NHL. 1 playoff game for NJ and 2 regular season games for Colorado and his name is on the Stanley Cup.

Although that was 24 years ago, so not exactly recent lol

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Every player who gets their name on the cup is an elite athlete in the top 0.01% of hockey players, no bad player will be on the cup.
I refuse to believe Nick Cousins is good at anything.

Steve Brule played a total of 30 minutes in the NHL. 1 playoff game for NJ and 2 regular season games for Colorado and his name is on the Stanley Cup.

Although that was 24 years ago, so not exactly recent lol
IMG_0430.jpeg

A true star hockey player

Last edited by a moderator:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Every player who gets their name on the cup is an elite athlete in the top 0.01% of hockey players, no bad player will be on the cup.
Yes it’s a high bar to make the nhl. Once in the nhl though, any relatively insignificant player in the scheme of other nhl players has a shot at a cup and it’ll be mostly circumstance. Even loaded up post deadline powerhouse teams are going to have league minimum plugs to round out their roster. I wouldn’t say there’s anything special or magical about those guys relative to other nhl players. Just right place, right time. Question could be a bit more interesting with some qualification threshold like a top 10 utilized forward/top 5 utilized defenseman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This list could be endless. Every team has random 4th liners and 7th defensemen that win the cup.

Joe Motzko played 25 NHL games and has his name on the cup because he managed to play in the finals when the Ducks won in 07.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
No roster is top to bottom all-star caliber players, as other have said random "low skill" players win the cup every single year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't know if this counts as recent (it probably doesn't), but Colin Fraser, two-time Stanley Cup champion, always comes to my mind in these conversations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad