Worst goals allowed by goalies in BIG moments

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
You know, game 7 of a series... overtime in the playoffs... Gold medal game... whatever.

What are some goals allowed by goalies that are just terrible, and the more so considering the circumstances? (I do enjoy a good goalie gaffe.)

Here's one:

Chris Osgood went on to become a fine player and had a great career, but man, this goal allowed from Sergei Makarov in game 7 of the Red Wings - Sharks series in 1994 is BRUTAL. Like, I think I could have stopped this one:

The worst thing is, the Red Wings lost this game (and series) by one goal.

That one is so bad it still has a stank on it 30 years later...

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
In international competition it has to be this one... That was the winning goal for Belarus against Sweden...

''Salo had been solid in goal and with Belarus on tap in the final eight, another date with Canada seemed inevitable. Canada held up their part of the bargain, edging Finland 2-1 but the Swedes would not. Falling to Belarus 4-3, in arguably the biggest upset in Olympic hockey history.''

Helistin

Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
The goal against Tommy Salo that knocked Sweden out of the medal games in 2002 Olympics vs Belarus.

Tommy was a very good goalie for a long time and with the All-star team the Swedes had they should have put this game away long time ago instead of being tied late in the third.
But man that was an awful goal at the worst possible time.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Overrated

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
In terms of actual cup winning goals, Kane in overtime on Leighton, real tough goal to end a unexpectedly solid enough run by Leighton lol

A couple of Wings ones:

Lidstrom on Cloutier from center ice in the dying moments of the second in game 3 tied at 1 with the Canucks up 2-0 in the series is a classic one touted

Yzerman center ice shot on from Fuhr early in pivotal game 5 series tied at 2 with the Blues

These recent 2022 playoffs was like the posterchild playoff year for this topic. Louis Domingue on the Penguins had some real bad goals given up at key moments to let the Rangers claw back to it, especially the one that bounced over his head. Even Shesterkin let in a couple softies against the Penguins himself. Mike Smith on the Oilers let in some real bad goals including the one midway in the third to let the Flames tie it in game 4 (less consequential though since the Oilers eventually won). Markstrom looked horrible against the Oilers and let in some real bad ones at bad times. Avs goalies Kuemper and Francouz didn't look so hot giving up some softies at bad times, and were the weakness in the otherwise unstoppable looking Avs. Even a guy like Vasilevskiy who was coming off back to back cups and in the freaking zone those years wasn't the same, he had a couple Trashilevskiy moments against the Rangers and then in the finals against the Avs.

Last edited:
Reactions: rnhaas and MadLuke

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
If you want to see some terrible goals at a bad time, check out Game Two of the first round series of the Boston Bruins vs the Montreal Canadiens, in 1970-71. That was where the tide turned in the favor of the Habs.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
That one must be haunting, but I am not sure if it is an bad goal by Fleury:

Unlike Patrick Roy, there is no bad decision or underestimating the moment going on.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Roy must be the worst, the context, against who and when, winning game 7 would have erased it, but getting scored 6 in before halfway in the game and replaced for Aebischer.... must have been a terrible summer.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I get the feeling there's a really bad one let in by a goalie for the Avs in the early 2000s but I can't/refuse (seem) to remember it for some convenient reason

• Haha
Reactions: ORHawksFan

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
Lidstrom on Cloutier from center ice in the dying moments of the second in game 3 tied at 1 with the Canucks up 2-0 in the series is a classic one touted

I’m always interested to read the comments on some of these old videos to see people’s memories of the specific play in question. Kind of transports you back in time in the life of a stranger in a weirdly intimate way.

This one didn’t disappoint:

@422rds 1 year ago
This is the most memorable goal for me in a very unique way.

My 8 1/2 month pregnant wife was in bathroom, sitting on the toilet, while I was watching the game live. When that amazing goal went in, I screamed WOW!! so loudly that it caused my wife's water to break resulting in the birth of my first child THERESA, a few hours later.

Ironically, the announcer says "BABY" at the 6 second mark of the video! And the shot is EXACTLY on the T of general moTers place!
Psalms 29:6-9The Voice of the Lord Thunders over the Waters..... and Causes the dear to give birth

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Lemaire centre ice shot in game 7 SCF 1971 which for some reason... Beat Tony O and start the comeback for Habs to win it all in Chicago Stadium. Starts from 1:28 to see that goal.

Lemaire almost looks like a different player in the early '70s than he did near the end of the decade. He had a howitzer, and used it a lot early in his career. He intentionally tried to scare goalies with his slapshot too.

It looks like Tony might've lost sight when it was near his defenseman, but it's still a bad goal.

It reminds of the Brian Propp slapshot goal from the neutral zone - I think the release was right on the blue line - against Patrick Roy in the '87 playoffs.

Last edited:

JMCx4

R.I.P. ECHL, PWHL & other Minor Pro Leagues Forum
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Yzerman's Game 7 double-OT winner in the 1996 conference semis. Primary assist to The not-so-Great-by-then-One ... :facepalm:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yzerman's Game 7 double-OT winner in the 1996 conference semis. Primary assist to The not-so-Great-by-then-One ... :facepalm:

This one isn't that bad. You've got one of the greatest players in the world firing a once-in-a-lifetime howitzer to the top corner, screened, and after Casey (the back-up) had just played 81 minutes of shut-out hockey against one of the greatest teams of all time. Could maybe cut him a little slack.

Reactions: ORHawksFan

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
On that famous 1971 Jacques Lemaire goal, from the replay it seemed to me that the shot might have been been ever-so-slightly deflected on the Dman's stick, which of course throws off the goalie.

That lengthy highlight clip, above, starts with the 2022 Mike Smith blunder vs. Calgary in game four, when he let in a 135-foot flip shot from the other team's blue-line. I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse goal allowed by a non-Ron Low / John Garrett-level goalie.

Smith's stunning blunder was quickly 'forgotten' by some because Nugent-Hopkins scored with a few minutes left in the third to win the game for Edmonton. If he hadn't scored, and if Calgary had won (the flip shot tied the game in the third), the series would have been 2-2 with two of the next three games in Calgary.

Anyway, the Oil won, so it wasn't one of the worst ever in terms of the consequences, but it's still the worst goal I've ever seen.

VanIslander

A 20-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Patrick Roy was hot and cold... and very cold on a typical hot Hasek night in a game 7 .... 7-0 thumping (despite Sakic & Forsberg by far playoff leaders in points at that point!) in Detroit's greatest competition om way to their '02 Stanley Cup!

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
Man, that Cloutier goal just killed him. From that moment on, he went from being an average, good enough goalie, to being a total sieve. Some blame can be assigned to some chronic groin issues, but really, his mental game was totally destroyed by that one shot. His series against Minnesota the year after was some of the worst playoff goaltending I have ever witnessed.

Salo was never the same after that Olympic goal either.

To paraphrase Yogi Berra, "[Goaltending] is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical."

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
Richter from the Francis shot in the neutral zone in the 1992 division finals Game 4. I'm a Ranger fan and I've always said if that singular moment doesn't happen history plays out very differently.

Cup in 92
Probable cup in 94 with no Keenan and no mortgaging the future.
Messier never gets an inflated ego.
Doug Weight becomes a star in ny Tony Amonte maybe.
Possible 3rd cup in the mid 90s
No dark ages
Team contends into the early to mid 2000s.
Mike Keenan never wins a cup
Gretzky probably never comes to Ny.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I get the feeling there's a really bad one let in by a goalie for the Avs in the early 2000s but I can't/refuse (seem) to remember it for some convenient reason

Just in case you aren't doing a tongue and cheek question with this goal, then the one you are thinking about is Roy's Statue of Liberty goal allowed in 2002

To be fair, and I have always defended Gretzky on this one, this was nothing more than a surprise pass that came his way that caught him off guard. If anything the defenseman with the bad giveaway, and that was Vladdy K., was let off the hook because it bounced off of Gretzky's stick. Because going the other way could have been trouble for the Red Wings had Gretzky picked it up. But even so, Yzerman picking it up at his OWN blue line and gliding through the neutral zone unmolested was the reason he was able to get off such a howitzer. And to top it off, that is a shot that doesn't go in most of the time, so really it was low risk letting him shoot from that far out. I don't think you can blame Casey either, it was a rifle of a shot with the corner picked, because this was a 1-0 game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad