Worst game by individual player?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Jose Theodore gave up 7 on 28 to the 2002 Edmonton Oilers (who had a poor offense and failed to qualify for the postseason) in a 7-6 loss.

"Boy, I guess Mike Comrie showed up for a game, eh?"

Nope. One assist.

"Todd Marchant's speed must have..."

"fraid not. 0 points.

Scott Ferguson (1 of his 7 career goals...where's the "who the hell is that?" thread?)
Jason Smith (1 of his 41 career goals in 1000 games)
Sean Brown (on the POWER PLAY one of his 14 career goals)

Ryan Smyth tips one home (I assume) with a minute left in the 2nd...

Still though...it's 6-4 Montreal with 9 minutes left.

Until...
Jochen Hecht from Rem Murray and Ryan Smyth on the power play...
Ethan Moreau from Josh Green and Jason Smith
A minute later...Jochen Hecht from Rem Murray

Three goals in four minutes from those superstars and a 7-6 Oiler win.

I just did this on stats, I don't recall the game...but it seems like a fun one...

Reactions: buffalowing88

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I keep mentioning it on here, but Andy Moog's perfomance in game two of the 1990 Cup Finals was atrocious... like, "all-time worst" level of bad.

For context, the Bruins had the #1 defence in the NHL that season. In game one of the Final, the Bruins outshot Edmonton 52-31... and lost in triple overtime, when Klima scored on a weak shot. (By the way, overtime wouldn't have been needed if Moog hadn't let in Adam Graves' weak shot in the 1st period.)

But anyway, on to game two: Moog faces four shots in 24 minutes, while Boston is putting about twenty-two on Edmonton's Ranford. Result? Moog gets yanked with a .250 (!), after letting in three of four shots.

Moog made one save in 24 minutes of action in the Finals... behind the league's #1 defensive team.
the phil housley game, game 6 of the 1992 smythe division semifinals

goal #1: housley gets caught way up ice, dives in vain to catch ronning on the breakaway

7630071E-A1EF-41E8-B415-82FF7C510ED2.jpeg

goal #2: gets totally spun around chasing the play and ends up on the ice like he’s breakdancing as the canucks score on a nice tic tac toe play

9AC2882E-3B44-4BC7-BB02-C51234F5DF3E.jpeg

goal #3: somehow gets lost for a second behind the net before he realizes that fergus is all alone in the slot (stays on his feet lol)

02371288-394A-4616-B247-694033FD42C2.jpeg

goal #4: ulanov has the puck in the corner so housley blows the zone early, only ulanov puts it right on bure’s stick with no defender in sight

AD983FC3-147A-4F62-B791-A9DDE865BAE4.jpeg

goal #5: larionov lobs it to bure, who gets behind winnipeg’s d, breakaway, hat trick (housley manages to stay on his feet again)

D3E1BEE5-E0D5-4FBD-BC44-52D890CAC326.jpeg

rookie bure with the hat trick

These are both brutal.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Oddly, Bobby Clarke shares the record for worst plus-minus in a playoff game: -6 and no points in a 8-3 elimination loss against the Rangers.

No idea what happened there though I’m inclined to cut him some slack since a) it’s Bobby Clarke and b) that was the year Bernie Parent suffered a career-ending eye injury and the Flyers’ backup goalies were pretty terrible in that series.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I remember Braden Holtby basically singlehandedly threw Game 7 against Carolina in 2019. Two dreadful goals against in that game, both in quality and timing. Goal 1, a shortie off of a terrible rebound when they had a chance to go up 3 and seal it... then he's way off his angle on Jordan Staal really early in the 3rd period and the lead is gone.

That team was pretty good too, but they were totally gassed once overtime came around.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Until...
Jochen Hecht from Rem Murray and Ryan Smyth on the power play...
Ethan Moreau from Josh Green and Jason Smith
A minute later...Jochen Hecht from Rem Murray

Three goals in four minutes from those superstars and a 7-6 Oiler win.

I just did this on stats, I don't recall the game...but it seems like a fun one...

I love me some Jochen Hecht as a two-way, responsible playmaker, but his shot was absolutely abysmal.

I remember he left some sticks behind at the rink after a practice back in like 06 and I picked one up and I swear it was the shortest stick I've seen an adult hockey player use in my life. I'm sure that didn't help his goal scoring 'prowess'.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
It's actually "Reece", and he appeared in a grand total of 14 games (12 complete) for Boston that one and only season. He actually had two shutouts (vs. the Golden Seals and at the L.A. Kings, but still), which isn't bad for having only 12 complete NHL games!

Yeah, that Daryl Sittler game is bizarre. Reece faces 40 shots, earns a .725, but Don Cherry doesn't want to pull him because the Bruins have to play the very next day in Boston.

(Note: That same game, Wayne Cashman was -6, with 0 points and 0 shots on goal.)

I believe He also didn’t want to pull Reece because it was Cheevers first game back after returning from the WHA and Cherry wanted Cheevers first start back to be in Boston.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Panther

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Ian Cole's Game 1, Round 2 against the Oilers in 2024 has to be up there for defenceman.

1st goal - Covers nobody, pass goes right by his stick over to Hyman for the PP goal.
2nd goal - Nobody pressuring him in the defensive zone, gives the puck directly to Draisaitl who sets up Ekholm for the even-strength goal.
3rd goal - Misses the puck at the blueline, resulting in an Oilers rush the other way. Then screens Silovs without blocking the shot, allowing him to be beaten by a blueline slapper from Ceci.

He was also constantly getting beaten by the Oilers, giving up a number of chances that didn't result in a goal.

His performance in the series earned him a few dedicated threads on Reddit:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

so much hype around the two previous game 7 shutouts for this performance lol

The worst game I witnessed from Roy was the game that got him traded to Colorado. If it weren’t for that, the wings probably threepeat (96,97,98) and devils b2b in 2000 and 2001.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Patrick Lalime against the Leafs in either 2003 or 2004. Don’t remember which game but he gave up two backbreaking soft goals. I’m thinking it was a game 6 or 7.

It was Game Seven of the 2004 first round series between TOR and OTT.

Nieuwendyk again... scores again!

Reactions: GMR

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The worst game I witnessed from Roy was the game that got him traded to Colorado. If it weren’t for that, the wings probably threepeat (96,97,98) and devils b2b in 2000 and 2001.
You know, I don't think Roy was all that bad in this game. Like, it was an off-night for him, obviously, and he was bad, but if you go back and watch the game or highlights, it's a game where Detroit has the puck on a string and the Canadiens just gave up trying halfway through the 1st period.

It's also one of the rare instances where a top-level goalie was having a really bad night (9 goals on 26 shots, in the end), and the coach didn't pull him after 5 or 6 goals against. But I wonder how many of those goals against was Roy supposed to stop? Maybe 2 or so were bad goals. I think most weren't his fault.

What I didn't like about Roy in that game was his demeanor.... But that's the fun part of his personality.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
You know, I don't think Roy was all that bad in this game. Like, it was an off-night for him, obviously, and he was bad, but if you go back and watch the game or highlights, it's a game where Detroit has the puck on a string and the Canadiens just gave up trying halfway through the 1st period.

It's also one of the rare instances where a top-level goalie was having a really bad night (9 goals on 26 shots, in the end), and the coach didn't pull him after 5 or 6 goals against. But I wonder how many of those goals against was Roy supposed to stop? Maybe 2 or so were bad goals. I think most weren't his fault.

What I didn't like about Roy in that game was his demeanor.... But that's the fun part of his personality.

Right never felt the 9 goal game was nearly as bad as the score, the Wings just broke apart the Canadiens defense easily. The game 7 game there were definitely a couple goals that Roy basically had no chance on as well, but huge difference in stage, moment, team in front (this is the Avs team that tightened up significantly with Forsberg missing the whole regular season), and the previous two game 7 performances that playoff run.

This was a Friday afternoon game, and so my brother (big Avs fan) and I after the sixth goal and Roy getting pulled just stopped watching and went outside to play a little bit of street hockey lol (he was so depressed looking I just felt bad for him and I even knew watching it then at that moment that this game would be recorded for posterity to be watched over and over again lol)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The game 7 game there were definitely a couple goals that Roy basically had no chance on as well, but huge difference in stage, moment, team in front (this is the Avs team that tightened up significantly with Forsberg missing the whole regular season), and the previous two game 7 performances that playoff run.

...(he was so depressed looking I just felt bad for him...
Agree, I was also thinking that the 2001 game 7 vs. Detroit was much more of a Roy-choke game. Well, the whole team choked, but Roy was part of the problem.

I also know what you mean by the look on his face. Roy has this particular look when he was conceding defeat -- kind of a gaze up towards the upper decks... a slow burn.

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Bryan Mccabe has a terrible game in 5 2004 For the Maple Leafs when they faced Philly. Especially the first 2 goals.

He was a minus 5 and if memory serves me correctly, he took full responsibility after the game for the loss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad