Worst game by individual player?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
What are some of the worst games you can remember by individual players? Goalies will probably stand out the most so I’d like to break it down to goalies and skaters. It can be a star player who had a bad game or a depth player who stood out like a sore thumb

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Mike Liut Canada cup and Patrick Roy last game in Montreal

That oiler player who missed an open net
Steve Smith scoring on his own net as did Lars Lindgren

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think Jake Gardiner is notorious amongst Leafs fans for going minus 5 in a game 7 against the Bruins in...2019?

Yeah, he was a shit Game Seven performer in general.

I actually liked him. He had decent offensive ability and was a good skater and could rush with the puck when he was younger. But he definitely wilted under pressure in Game Sevens. He was like the anti-Justin Williams.

But his team continues to lose seventh games with him long gone.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Immediately thought of Jake Gardiner Game 7 in 2018 1st round, and it was already mentioned.

For the archives

Gardiner was a dash-five. He had two giveaways. He fumbled the puck frequently and compounded his poor decisions. His passes refused to stretch, and when they did, it was for icings. When Babcock tapped No. 51 on the shoulder, 61 per cent of the shot attempts were being blasted at the visitors’ end.

“There’s no real explanation,” Gardiner said. “I felt fine. It just seemed like everything I was doing ended up in the back of the net.”

The ultimate turning point in a contest that featured at least seven of them featured Gardiner turning the wrong way on a brilliant burst by Bruins super rookie Jake DeBrusk

“I saw he had a lot of speed. I didn’t think I could’ve kept him in front of me, so I turned, skated with him,” said Gardiner, who tried to throw a body check as DeBrusk angled to the crease. “He made a good play. I gotta get a stick on it, though.”

He didn’t. Neither did Andersen, who let the game-winner slip five-hole. DeBrusk said he caught Gardiner off-guard. The highlight was too ugly or too heartbreaking for Babcock to re-watch.

Reactions: rnhaas

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I keep mentioning it on here, but Andy Moog's perfomance in game two of the 1990 Cup Finals was atrocious... like, "all-time worst" level of bad.

For context, the Bruins had the #1 defence in the NHL that season. In game one of the Final, the Bruins outshot Edmonton 52-31... and lost in triple overtime, when Klima scored on a weak shot. (By the way, overtime wouldn't have been needed if Moog hadn't let in Adam Graves' weak shot in the 1st period.)

But anyway, on to game two: Moog faces four shots in 24 minutes, while Boston is putting about twenty-two on Edmonton's Ranford. Result? Moog gets yanked with a .250 (!), after letting in three of four shots.

Moog made one save in 24 minutes of action in the Finals... behind the league's #1 defensive team.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
the phil housley game, game 6 of the 1992 smythe division semifinals

goal #1: housley gets caught way up ice, dives in vain to catch ronning on the breakaway

7630071E-A1EF-41E8-B415-82FF7C510ED2.jpeg

goal #2: gets totally spun around chasing the play and ends up on the ice like he’s breakdancing as the canucks score on a nice tic tac toe play

9AC2882E-3B44-4BC7-BB02-C51234F5DF3E.jpeg

goal #3: somehow gets lost for a second behind the net before he realizes that fergus is all alone in the slot (stays on his feet lol)

02371288-394A-4616-B247-694033FD42C2.jpeg

goal #4: ulanov has the puck in the corner so housley blows the zone early, only ulanov puts it right on bure’s stick with no defender in sight

AD983FC3-147A-4F62-B791-A9DDE865BAE4.jpeg

goal #5: larionov lobs it to bure, who gets behind winnipeg’s d, breakaway, hat trick (housley manages to stay on his feet again)

D3E1BEE5-E0D5-4FBD-BC44-52D890CAC326.jpeg

rookie bure with the hat trick

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Chris Osgood game 2 1998 SCF. Let in a few softballs, threw a puck at Don Koharski (which and was completely beaten by Tikkanen (even if he missed the wide open net).

I'm not sure how the Wings pulled that game off, but it wasn't thanks to Ozzie.

Also:
1000002724.jpg

Someone said "man was ice skating that night"

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I am not sure which exactly or maybe more a worst series in mind, but Crosby against the Flyers in 2012 ?

Getting scored 8 goals 2 games in a row, lot of misplaced effort, out of control... maybe that one:

1 shot not even playing 18 minutes in a playoff game, right in the middle of his prime. Watching it, it was not pretty, it felt like the series they should have had in 2007, before having learn to win type.

8 pts in 6 games can make it look not that bad but when you play open hockey that allow 5 goals per games, the bar is scoring like it is the 80s, his scoring in the low scoring 2016 was much high relative to the style of play than that.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Dave Reese lost11-4 to the leafs and Sittler had 6G+4A for 10 Pts in 1 game while Reese could not stop a beach ball. Gilbert was hurt and Cheevers was backup.

Reactions: DitchMarner

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Dave Reese lost11-4 to the leafs and Sittler had 6G+4A for 10 Pts in 1 game while Reese could not stop a beach ball. Gilbert was hurt and Cheevers was backup.
It's actually "Reece", and he appeared in a grand total of 14 games (12 complete) for Boston that one and only season. He actually had two shutouts (vs. the Golden Seals and at the L.A. Kings, but still), which isn't bad for having only 12 complete NHL games!

Yeah, that Daryl Sittler game is bizarre. Reece faces 40 shots, earns a .725, but Don Cherry doesn't want to pull him because the Bruins have to play the very next day in Boston.

(Note: That same game, Wayne Cashman was -6, with 0 points and 0 shots on goal.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad