Worst contracts...by Stanley Cup champions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Every month or so there is a topic on worst contracts of all time. And same ones are always listed. Those contracts usually deprive chances to build a team to contend, so this let me thinking: the worst contracts in the teams which actually won the Cup?

If Oilers somehow make the miraculous comeback, Nurse will be there but if they don't, it won't be.

Blackhawks 2010 maybe had some, as the team was helped by Toews and Kane still being on ELCs. Fleury was beaten for a starter job by Murray in the Penguins double, so surely it is one of those as well, even though he then played well with Vegas who didn't win the Cup.

So which players should be listed?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Every month or so there is a topic on worst contracts of all time. And same ones are always listed. Those contracts usually deprive chances to build a team to contend, so this let me thinking: the worst contracts in the teams which actually won the Cup?

If Oilers somehow make the miraculous comeback, Nurse will be there but if they don't, it won't be.

Blackhawks 2010 maybe had some, as the team was helped by Toews and Kane still being on ELCs. Fleury was beaten for a starter job by Murray in the Penguins double, so surely it is one of those as well, even though he then played well with Vegas who didn't win the Cup.

If Bobrovsky was a sieve, he'd be up there.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

2010 Hawks didnt have any as Huets cap hit was able to be stashed overseas due to some weird loophole

Reactions: banks

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
2010 Hawks didnt have any as Huets cap hit was able to be stashed overseas due to some weird loophole

Brian Campbell’s contract was awful. % of cap hit on his slightly over 7 mill a year back then basically made them have to trade some good players and basically dismantle their winning team. Over 12% of the cap to be exact

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

Neither Fleury nor Murray were bad contracts. Pens needed both of them to win those cups.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Cristobal Huet was an expensive backup. Helped that Kane and Toews were in ELC and Keith was on a nothing deal.

Reactions: DaveG

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It was from the original cap CBA in 2005. They didn't count all 1 way contracts, only those on the NHL roster. That was the loophole they missed.
So, you can only go back to 2013 when they closed it where all 1 way deals were counted save for the $1 mill of relief that you got for removing that player from your team and replacing him with someone else.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Off the top of my head, Eric Fehr in 15/16 and even that was bad per say more a slight over payment and was traded at the following years deadline.

Reactions: Aurinko

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Oleg Tverdovsky ($2.5 mil/$5.35 mil adjusted ) - Frequent healthy scratch during Carolina’s run. Traded as a cap dump in the Jack Johnson deal.

Brooks Orpik ($5.5 mil/$6.12 mil adjusted) - 3rd pairing D for the 2018 Caps. Traded as a cap dump in the Grubauer deal. Bought out and was allowed to re-sign with the Caps.

Tyler Johnson ($5 mil/$5.12 mil adjusted) - 4th liner for the 2021 Lightning. This is what Kucherov’s LTIR really helped Tampa with; he may have otherwise forced out a Killorn/Palat or required more substantial assets to trade or a more cutthroat approach with the Cirelli and Cernak negotiations (negatively effecting subsequent years). Tampa dealt him with a 2nd and took back Seabrook’s LTIR contract after the season.

Last edited:

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
I mean Spencer Knight makes what, 4.5M on this Florida team? He hasn't played an NHL game this year.

Reactions: pi314

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
what? that has nothing to do with the thread. pay attention. No Leaf is on this list, so your input isnt required.

Did you follow the comment trail or just wanted to take a shot at the Leafs?

Edit: Anyways, I was making a joke and then it turned into lame win a round comments despite them winning one. I am done, enjoy your Saturday night.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Did you read the thread title or did you just need to try to inject the Leafs into the thread when it doesnt apply to them at all?

Edit: Anyways, I was making a joke and then it turned into lame win a round comments despite them winning one. I am done, enjoy your Saturday night.
Whats your favorite Leafs cup winning bad contract player?

Reactions: MikeyMike01

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Did you read the thread title or did you just need to try to inject the Leafs into the thread when it doesnt apply to them at all?

Whats your favorite Leafs cup winning bad contract player?
He said Tavares next season. It was a valid comment meant light heartedly and then the other guy decided to make it a poo flinging contest.

Reactions: TS Quint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad