World Junior Game Day Talk

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I agree Virtanen and McCann shouldn't be in the NHL at this point, I think this will hurt both of them and how they develop long term, much like us rushing Gagner. I almost want to say the same thing about Bo Horvat who's numbers aren't looking too great at the moment, but I have a ton of belief in him and I think he might just push through the tough times and come out of it looking fine.

Those guys remind me a lot of lander, MPs, gagner. Rushed to NHL and little support

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
As much as we were all ragging on him, this is from Vancouver Province :
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/01/03...t-to-19-year-old-jake-virtanen-for-wjc-flubs/

Jeez, I really really feel for the kid....It was Lowry who played the kid when he should have sat him a bit, fully knowing the kid was losing his cool.
After the first bad penalty he negated Canada from getting a 5 on 3 PP, JV should have sat and spoken to....Lowry kept rolling him out.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
As much as we were all ragging on him, this is from Vancouver Province :
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/01/03...t-to-19-year-old-jake-virtanen-for-wjc-flubs/

Jeez, I really really feel for the kid....It was Lowry who played the kid when he should have sat him a bit, fully knowing the kid was losing his cool.
After the first bad penalty he negated Canada from getting a 5 on 3 PP, JV should have sat and spoken to....Lowry kept rolling him out.

If you're a returning player and in the NHL at that, you should be a leader on the team in this tournament. There is absolutely no reason under this circumstance that Virtanen should have needed the coach to hold his hand so he does the right thing.

Lowry probably assumed (as he should have) that Virtanen would be a big contributer to the team considering his experience. Conversely, he was a very big factor in Canada losing the tournament and one of the team's biggest liabilities. Lowry's mistake was giving him a bunch of extra chances when he deserved none.

He's a classic case of a Nuck clown, and he played like one in this tournament. Icing on the cake is when he didn't take responsibility post game and called the officials biased. He's only been a Nuck for a couple of months and he already possesses all their organizational traits.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well, first time I've gotten to watch Barzal closely. I don't see him becoming an impact player at the NHL level. Once he gets some space he seems to excel but he's way too soft on the puck and doesn't seem willing to make space on his own. Perhaps Eberle with a much worse shot would be a good comparison.

Gambl0r83*

Matthews with the Hat trick

How sick would McDavid-Drai-Matthews-RNH be for our 4 centers.

LOL, the hockey world would shun us, but holy **** that's the dream team of the century.
All of those studs in their prime would tear the league apart in one team. Even RNH.
AHL level defense and goaltending couldn't even stop that reign

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Matthews with the Hat trick

How sick would McDavid-Drai-Matthews-RNH be for our 4 centers.

LOL, the hockey world would shun us, but holy **** that's the dream team of the century.
All of those studs in their prime would tear the league apart in one team. Even RNH.
AHL level defense and goaltending couldn't even stop that reign

Unfortunately they wouldn't afford them long - but oh well - Hi Ho, Hi Ho, off for Matthews we go!! :laugh:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This russian winger Yegor Korshkov might be worth looking into. Had a hell of a goal against the US in the 2nd period. 6'3 winger with 8 points so far. A regular in the KHL and undrafted. Could be a good late pick.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Well, first time I've gotten to watch Barzal closely. I don't see him becoming an impact player at the NHL level. Once he gets some space he seems to excel but he's way too soft on the puck and doesn't seem willing to make space on his own. Perhaps Eberle with a much worse shot would be a good comparison.

Yes but how good would Samsanov look in the fold right now? Its increadable the flak I took in here over wanting to draft a Goalie with the other first we had. Hence we are still blowing in the wind.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yes but how good would Samsanov look in the fold right now? Its increadable the flak I took in here over wanting to draft a Goalie with the other first we had. Hence we are still blowing in the wind.

Goalies are such a huge gamble and so many great ones come out of the later rounds that unless you think the goalie has franchise goalie upside, it's usually a mistake spending a 1st round pick on one. Also Brossoit is top 5 in save percentage in the AHL behind a nor particularly good team, so it is quite conceivable we already have our #1 goaltender of the future in the system.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
how about Lagesson today with +2 and the first Swedish goal in an 8-3 loss to the US - the only plus player on Sweden

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Russian player tries to draw a penalty by faking injury and the Finns score. LOVE it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
While on the one hand I'd like to see Finland win, it would be so great if Kamenev came back in OT and scored it.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
This gold medal game is great, just so much fun to watch.

Almost as exciting as last night's Canes/Oil affair. :sarcasm:

But yeah - this is incredibly entertaining. Pulling for the Finns, but think the Russians got jobbed on officiating a bit in this one.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
They gave Kamenev a full game misconduct now, so I guess there goes that comeback story.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Having Laine and Pulj. on the same line is just unfair.

It'd be like having McDavid and Eichel on the same line in last year's WJC.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
And that's that. What a great end to a very entertaining tournament this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad