GDT: World Junior Championship 2015

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Was looking into the USA forwards and only two of them play in the CHL. Milano and De Leo with Erne outproducing both of them. Even the college forwards aren't killing it besides Eichel. Erne can play all three forward positions and be affective on any line. Sure he sucked last year but that was on big ice, on NA rinks his game would be more useful, still surprised by the snub. Not sure who the coach is and what his back round is but I guess it has college roots.

Yeah, there's an article up on BP that brings up the same question: http://www.boltprospects.com/content/week-tampacuse-0

2. DeAngelo made Team USA, while returning player Adam Erne did not. Some have said the main reasons were meritocracy, a poor performance by Erne at last year’s WJCs, and/or the depth USA has accumulated. I don’t buy the latter two, especially because there are clean slates (see DeAngelo) and Erne’s size and physical style of play should be in his advantage, therefore he’s a needed complement to smaller skill players. If it was meritocracy – he simply wasn’t one of the better players – then he was cut way too early. Still baffled by that one. So now Adam Erne is angry. Good luck, anyone who plays Quebec on their way to hosting the Memorial Cup.

Maybe there was something behind the scenes either this year or last year? Seems odd.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah, there's an article up on BP that brings up the same question: http://www.boltprospects.com/content/week-tampacuse-0

Maybe there was something behind the scenes either this year or last year? Seems odd.

The USA depth isn't very good, maybe against lesser countries it is but Finlands forwards are just as good. We have two big guns in Matthews and Eichel which other countries don't have, then a bunch of average. Matthews is in his first WJC so don't expect a lot from him which means it'll all be on Eichel. As you can see today we are only good when Eichel is on. The D, not DeAngelo, is also average so it's going to be a tough go to medal.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tony just turned it up a notch. Went Full DBag on that shift.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Okay - that Finnish goalie is playing out of his mind. That save on Tuch was just dirty.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Haven't been impressed with Eichel honestly. Shows skill, but he's not trusting the talent he's out there with. Doing too much on his own.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Haven't been impressed with Eichel honestly. Shows skill, but he's not trusting the talent he's out there with. Doing too much on his own.

Reminds me of Drouin last year, was clearly the most talented player on his team and knew if he passed the other player would waste the chance.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
From an "integrity of the game" standpoint, it seems like the 3-2-1 points system makes a lot more sense.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
DeAngelo might play 3 minutes of this OT. Good sign. Lots of faith from the coach.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Too bad that kid wasn't Canadian. Would have become a national hero and boosted his draft postion/trade value immensely.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Point did not look out of place on the big stage. another tiny player in the traitor, TJ tradition.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I went to the Sweden-Czech game yesterday. Masin looked alright, he's rock-solid in his own zone but uncomfortable when it comes to puck movement. He was put out against Nylander, who went after Masin's defense partner on each of his breath-taking end-to-end rushes.

Last edited:

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Point did not look out of place on the big stage. another tiny player in the traitor, TJ tradition.

Point and Petan were my favorites from Canada.

Point started the tournament as the 13th Forward, but I honestly don't know how the coaches keep him off the ice. Every shift he was noticeable. Throw him out with whoever and he seemed to compete for pucks, get pucks, create offense.

Gauthier on the other hand looked slow and nervous.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
DeAngelo might play 3 minutes of this OT. Good sign. Lots of faith from the coach.
Yeah, he started the game with Eichel's line, played on the pp and the pk too. It looks like he's going to be an important piece of this team, which is really weird considering how he wasn't even invited to the summer camp.

I'm excited to see Masin for the first time right now as they take on the Swiss.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Masin has looked ok through 2 periods. He hasn't had that much playing time on the 3rd pairing and he hasn't been tested too much so it's a little hard to judge. He did have to go one-on-one with Fiala, who is on a level above everyone else on the ice, and Fiala was able to make a move around him near the net. But he did have good positioning defending Fiala. Right now, nobody's stopping him. Masin hasn't been shy with the physical game either. He's engaged a few attackers into the boards, and finished a check on some Swiss player into the goal post who was driving the net. He's had very little time on special teams. On his only pp shift, they used him to screen the goalie where nobody could move him. He's been on the ice for 2 goals against, but neither where his fault.

Dave Reid, who is commentating for TSN did say:

"He's a big solid guy. I talked to Pat Verbeek about him this morning and they absolutely love him. They think the only concern is him getting tired because plays too much when he plays in junior hockey in Peterborough where he rarely comes off the ice."

I'll be switching over to the bolts game in a few minutes, so that's it for now.

edit:

He's seeing a lot of pp time now in the 3rd period as the Czechs trail 5-2. They're using him as a forward on the pp and continuing to have him be the screen man.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Point and Petan were my favorites from Canada.

Point started the tournament as the 13th Forward, but I honestly don't know how the coaches keep him off the ice. Every shift he was noticeable. Throw him out with whoever and he seemed to compete for pucks, get pucks, create offense.

Gauthier on the other hand looked slow and nervous.

I missed the Germany game, but I saw a couple of Canadian sites were now listing Point as a 3rd liner. Moving on up. And he got some more praise after the opener. Definitely has no issues playing on that kind of stage. Pretty impressive when you think about it. 3rd rounder, turning heads on a team that's pretty stacked with high profile first rounders.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I missed the Germany game, but I saw a couple of Canadian sites were now listing Point as a 3rd liner. Moving on up. And he got some more praise after the opener. Definitely has no issues playing on that kind of stage. Pretty impressive when you think about it. 3rd rounder, turning heads on a team that's pretty stacked with high profile first rounders.

I don't think he was because I didn't see him out there much. He was creating when he was but it didn't seem like he saw much ice. There were a lot of penalties that game and he doesn't play on either special teams so that could've been the issue.

Masin just looked meh, the Czech team in general isn't very good so nobody but Pastnrak stood out. He had a few ok rushed which shows he's good with the puck on his stick but he wasn't as dominate in his own zone like I thought he'd be. Figured he'd be pushing forwards around but was just average back there.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
DeAngelo is very lackadaisical in his own end for me, doesn't seem to do anything with any urgency. If he plays this nonchalant against Canada they'll create a lot of turnovers off him. He's tremendously talented with great vision but has a bit of Carle in him in the D zone, doesn't go to the puck fast enough just coasts around.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
DeAngelo getting some PK time against Slovakia as well. He's looked quite good to me. Getting a decent amount of ice time.

PK time and ice time are nice to get, but Slovakia was no threat at all that game. Lets see how the ice time goes against Canada, he'll still be on the PP but not sure about the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad