Toronto FC: World Cup Brazil/TFC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
Great Run by Spain, unfortunately for them all good things always have to come to an end eventually, heck of a run though.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Great Run by Spain, unfortunately for them all good things always have to come to an end eventually, heck of a run though.

It did not end the way I expected it to end. Brutal for them. But as you said, a great run. 3 championships in a row after being famous for never being able to live up to the hype before that.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
abrupt end to a hell of a run by Spain. 3 tourneys in a row is ridiculous, a fourth would have defied belief.

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
I didn't think it was that bad a call to be honest. Harsh, yes, but the arm was away from the body and blocked the ball. I know he didn't move it, but I don't think it was a "joke". Thankfully it wasn't the deciding goal. Great game!

It's more than your arm being away from your body. It's impossible to run with your arms glued to your side. The rule is supposed to depend on your arm being in a natural position and to me it didn't look like the Dutch guy's arm was in an unnatural position. Bad call IMO. Glad it didn't decide the game.

Now I hope not to hear Australia fans bringing up Lucas Neill in 2006 and *****ing about bad PK calls

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Fact of the matter is that Spain's group could have been called "Group of Death Jr." Holland, Spain and Chile (as we have seen) were three powerhouses, and only two of them could advance.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's more than your arm being away from your body. It's impossible to run with your arms glued to your side. The rule is supposed to depend on your arm being in a natural position and to me it didn't look like the Dutch guy's arm was in an unnatural position. Bad call IMO. Glad it didn't decide the game.

Now I hope not to hear Australia fans bringing up Lucas Neill in 2006 and *****ing about bad PK calls

Yeah. That bad handball call in 06 screwed Croatia and gave Australia a birth to the knockout rounds. Then again, one of the Croats got 3 yellows before finally getting the boot, so I shouldn't complain.

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
American broadcaster on ESPN kept calling the Croats, 'Costa Rica' :shakehead :laugh:

Also, Cameroon's GK looks like James Harden. Sweet Mohawk + Beard combo, bro.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
today's games were awesome. That Aussie-Oranje game was something else Cahill's volley is goal of the tournament quality.
Watching Spain humiliated was also fun lol
Croatia destroyed Cameroon who seem so disjointed

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
I feel so sorry for Spain. They had a golden generation and it will be a while until we see something like that again unfortunately.

I did too, then I remembered this

But seriously, yeah - Spain had an amazing run.

I think what makes this so demoralizing is how abruptly it ended. Years of dominance and success and all of a sudden it's over a week into this tournament. In 2016 - Xavi will be 36, Casillas will be 35, Xabi Alonso will be 34, Villa will be 34. It's definitely time to turn the page and start the new wave of Spanish players. They have some good young talent so they should remain competitive, but crazy how such a glorious era comes to such an abrupt end.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Oh my goodness what a terrible day lol I got 1 prediction right all the scores wrong and one scorer (Feghouli). 9/17 so far...lol
Predictions for tomorrow:

Netherlands 4-Australia 1
RVPx2, Robbenx2
Cahill

Spain 1-Chile 1
David Silva
Alexis Sanchez

Cameroon 0-Croatia 2
Perisic, Rakitic

well got 2 for 3 in results (11/20 now) and 3 scorers ( but none of the scores correct). Here are my predictions for tmrw:

Colombia 3-Cote D'Ivoire 1
James Rodriguez x 2, Ibarbo
Bony

Uruguay 2-England 1
Suarez x 2
Sturridge

Japan 1-Greece 0
Honda

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
I did too, then I remembered this

But seriously, yeah - Spain had an amazing run.

I think what makes this so demoralizing is how abruptly it ended. Years of dominance and success and all of a sudden it's over a week into this tournament. In 2016 - Xavi will be 36, Casillas will be 35, Xabi Alonso will be 34, Villa will be 34. It's definitely time to turn the page and start the new wave of Spanish players. They have some good young talent so they should remain competitive, but crazy how such a glorious era comes to such an abrupt end.

That's such an ******* thing to do holyyy

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
Here are my picks today (posting from England!):

Colombia 2 (James Rodriguez, Gutierrez) - Ivory Coast 0

England 2 (Sturridge, Stirling) - Uruguay 1 (Suarez) - watching this game at a pub in London!

Japan 1 (Honda) - Greece 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad