GDT: WJC Gold Medal Game: Canada vs Sweden @ 5:30 p.m. TSN1

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Thought I’d do a GDT thread out of national pride for the gold medal game since our Juniors are back in it again.

With a win, this will be the 2nd gold medal for Canada in four years and are out to avenge the gold medal shootout loss from last year. With a loss, it’s one gold in nine years instead.

The Swede’s could be playing with a short bench as two of their players are questionable with injuries (Linus Lindstrom and Fabian Zetterlund) and Oskar Steen could be suspended for the slash on our own Kailer Yamamoto late in the semi-final game yesterday. Sweden potentially being three players short will be a huge advantage for Team Canada but Team Sweden will still be a formidable opponent.

All the best to our Juniors and here’s to them winning another gold at this tournament!!!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Sucks that these games are on tsn. I Didnt bother to get tsn since Oilers don't are not shown on it.​

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Bean with the very Oilers-esque zone entry leading to the SHG against.

That aside, though, we’re looking very good, hopefully the boys get another lead before the shootout robs us again.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Sweden is very impressive. Positionally sound with good structure. Players makes great decisions with the puck. Good PK.

It's like watching the bizzaro oilers.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This game is pretty great.

I have to say, if Dylan Dube makes the NHL I will be quite shocked. He's got good speed and skill, but no vision or hockey sense.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This game is pretty great.

I have to say, if Dylan Dube makes the NHL I will be quite shocked. He's got good speed and skill, but no vision or hockey sense.

I agree. Not sure what made him so special to be the captain. Nothing about him is impressive.

Maybe it’s just me or does anyone notice Canadian players, compared to players of other countries, focus more on structure and systems rather than develop individual skill?

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I agree. Not sure what made him so special to be the captain. Nothing about him is impressive.

Maybe it’s just me or does anyone notice Canadian players, compared to players of other countries, focus more on structure and systems rather than develop individual skill?

This part I agree with. I still think he'll be an NHLer.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This part I agree with. I still think he'll be an NHLer.

The one thing I’ve noticed in the last few tournaments is that there is a strong focus on following structure and systems. Like compared to Swedes and the Americans, their individual players appear more talented per se. I’m sure there’s talent within the Canadian roster but so much creativity seemingly appears stifled

Reactions: ujju2

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Wow...the Swedish captain was so upset after the game, when he was presented with the silver medal he almost immediately took it off and gave it to some guy in the stands. Ouch.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Wow...the Swedish captain was so upset after the game, when he was presented with the silver medal he almost immediately took it off and gave it to some guy in the stands. Ouch.
He got it back. But really? Show a little sportsmanship ffs.
He should be embarrassed. I bet his parents are.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Congrats to Team Canada for yet another title - kudos to the players and the coaching staff

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Great hockey game, both teams played their hearts out it was a fast, uptempo game and both teams and goalies played terrific. Thought the game was well officiated too, they let them play, didn't call any ticky tac shit. The lopsided penalty count looks bad but Swedes shot themselves in the foot being a little too aggressive and undisciplined at times. I'd say they probably missed a call on Timmins and even that was borderline and of course the quick whistle early in the game.

The Avs have some really nice right shot defenseman prospects in Makar and Timmins.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Brilliant comment. Maybe you should talk to the kid?? Listen to his interview?? Ask Sam Steel what he thinks of Dube... you mean the Dube that scored the first goal tonight? Wow some posters on here are idiots... I’d suspect the players and or coach who voted or named him captain would know a f*** of a lot more about hockey than you do....

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Unsportsmanlike, sure, but I also can't help but feel bad for the kid either.
Agree with this, kid was supercharged disappointed, emotional, in the moment, and is a teenager.

Deserves to be said Sweden was the better team in the game most of the game, had to beat a good club, the US, to get to this game, and outplayed and outshot Canada all the way even though they had to kill 5 Canada PP's. After climbing all those mountains Sweden lost the game suddenly with 90secs left. They went from belief, and feeling they had worked the hardest for the cup, to losing it all and having no time to come back or to even compose much.

Sometimes how you lose a game is harder to take. I don't think the player was trying to be disrespectful, just kind of went insane with grief there throwing the medal away.

Sweden though has no reason to be anything but proud how they played in the tourney and that they amazingly were +1 on 5 Team Canada PP's tonight.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Someone earlier commented on talent vs system and tactical play. Well, the latter won once again today as it usually does. Not that Team Canada isn't talented but they played a smarter game, a typical Canada bend but don't break game and prevailed. Sweden was making the mistakes, taking the penalties, turning the puck over and had difficulties with composure. Sweden, while showing talent had a lot of uncomposed play where they would even have a situationally great potential play developing and then screw it up turn the puck over having it go the other way.

Sweden as usual also trying to pass and finesse the puck into the net. Canada working some simple shot passes, going for deflections, going for rebounds, looking for tap ins. While Sweden was collecting cute points Canada was executing serious scoring chances and 3 times in the third executed a letter perfect pass for a tap in goal finally finishing the 3rd time for the W.

Finally, some unwarranted comments about Dube and in the 3rd, as well, he makes a brilliant turn around play at side of net and backhands a shot nearly in. He hit post and it would've found net but bounced off the goalies pad which was tight enough to the post. It looked like a nothng play and was almost a winning goal. I didn't see the earlier goal he scored.

Canada wins, essentially because we have better tactics and play around the net in the gold areas.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Unsportsmanlike, sure, but I also can't help but feel bad for the kid either.
Feel bad for him? Sure. Feel like he behaved very poorly on international TV, embarrassed his family and disappointed a bunch of kids who look up to him? Absolutely.
Make no mistake, if a Canadian kid did that he'd be crucified in the press for weeks.
That was great hockey.
Yes it was. Gonna feel like a big letdown watching an Oiler game tomorrow.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Brilliant comment. Maybe you should talk to the kid?? Listen to his interview?? Ask Sam Steel what he thinks of Dube... you mean the Dube that scored the first goal tonight? Wow some posters on here are idiots... I’d suspect the players and or coach who voted or named him captain would know a f*** of a lot more about hockey than you do....

Wow. I’m commenting from what I saw in the games. Nothing about him stood out. He might be a good player but I seriously never saw anything stand out.

Hence even the general comment about Team Canada so much structure these days and not a lot of skill being shown unlike other countries

You sure got your knickers rustled. Jesus Christ some here get so offended over a differing opinon

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Someone earlier commented on talent vs system and tactical play. Well, the latter won once again today as it usually does. Not that Team Canada isn't talented but they played a smarter game, a typical Canada bend but don't break game and prevailed. Sweden was making the mistakes, taking the penalties, turning the puck over and had difficulties with composure. Sweden, while showing talent had a lot of uncomposed play where they would even have a situationally great potential play developing and then screw it up turn the puck over having it go the other way.

Sweden as usual also trying to pass and finesse the puck into the net. Canada working some simple shot passes, going for deflections, going for rebounds, looking for tap ins. While Sweden was collecting cute points Canada was executing serious scoring chances and 3 times in the third executed a letter perfect pass for a tap in goal finally finishing the 3rd time for the W.

Finally, some unwarranted comments about Dube and in the 3rd, as well, he makes a brilliant turn around play at side of net and backhands a shot nearly in. He hit post and it would've found net but bounced off the goalies pad which was tight enough to the post. It looked like a nothng play and was almost a winning goal. I didn't see the earlier goal he scored.

Canada wins, essentially because we have better tactics and play around the net in the gold areas.

I was the one that comment about structure. I personally find it more fun to watch when there’s a lot of individual talent but I can respect the tactics part. A win is a win.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad