GDT: WJC: Germany vs Austria

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Austria is really making a game out of this.

Reinbacher, Scherzer and Erne have stood out positively for me.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Nice work Austria.. good luck against Latvia.

Congrats Germany.. you are going to the quarters.. again!

See you tomorrow :)

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Austria was playing really good in the 3rd period. The were lacking a bit in finishing skills, which probably was decisive. But they have shown a lot of heart, respect to them.

Reactions: Czechboy

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Austria was playing really good in the 3rd period. The were lacking a bit in finishing skills, which probably was decisive. But they have shown a lot of heart, respect to them.
Germany sat back and let Austria come to them.

Reinbacher probably played 6 minutes in the final 8 of the game - he was phenomenal. Stopped 2 sure empty netter back to back. What a player.

Glad Germany doesn’t have to play in relegation - Austria didn’t make it easy.

Reactions: BigBadBoar

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020

Reinbacher probably played 6 minutes in the final 8 of the game - he was phenomenal. Stopped 2 sure empty netter back to back. What a player.

Hi, does the german ice hockey federation have a long term strategy for the league and the national team? I can't find it and remember...wasn't it called olympia 2025 or something? Or icehockey2025? How does it actually go on?

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Reactions: Elias40

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I know a bad hockey team at the World Juniors when i see it and this is not a bad German team. they've had better but this team is solid.
A solid German team would have wiped the floor with these Austrians. It's a bad team. Maybe not bad by traditional German standards, but bad by current tournament standards.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice

Reinbacher is very good inded. I see him playing in the NHL within 3 years.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Powerplay26 - and here is an english article if you‘re interested

Have conditions improved continuously throughout Germany and academies have been established along the lines of Mannheim? How is the junior competition in Germany today, and did the rule of having two DEL under-23 players in the team help? I know another article about this program said that every national team should go to the QF and not play for relegation. Which I would say they are doing well and Germany is already a regular participant in the QF.

Is there anything else they could do better and differently? Are people in German hockey satisfied with the way the program is running? I don't follow the DEL regularly, but I feel that it is not very successful to have hockey teams in western and northern Germany. This does not apply so much to DEL, but mainly to DEL2, where the northernmost team is Lausitzer or Krefeld.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Have conditions improved continuously throughout Germany and academies have been established along the lines of Mannheim? How is the junior competition in Germany today, and did the rule of having two DEL under-23 players in the team help? I know another article about this program said that every national team should go to the QF and not play for relegation. Which I would say they are doing well and Germany is already a regular participant in the QF.

Is there anything else they could do better and differently? Are people in German hockey satisfied with the way the program is running? I don't follow the DEL regularly, but I feel that it is not very successful to have hockey teams in western and northern Germany. This does not apply so much to DEL, but mainly to DEL2, where the northernmost team is Lausitzer or Krefeld.
It’s better than it was without a doubt but I wouldn’t be singing it’s praises either. The mandatory U23 players per DEL team is a sham that essentially throws two players out there for a couple of minutes a game and that’s it. Not an ideal situation for the teams, nor the players.

One big thing I personally don’t like is how Germany’s development system works - it‘s essentially a development system that consists of Mannheim or nothing. There are naturally a few outliers but in the U20 level, U17 level and even U15 levels, if you want any chance at making it you better hope Mannheim wants you or else your odds of getting seen are SO much more difficult in my opinion and it’w clear this seems to be the sentiment around hockey circles from what I’ve heard also. I don‘t know how to fix it, or what needs to be done - I just know it’s a flawed system.

For a country as big and as athleticly gifted historically as Germany where Hockey is a pretty big sport - we still struggle to keep up with Slovakia or Czechia. It’s getting better and the Powerplay26 initiative has without a doubt helped things - I wouldn‘t say it has achieved it’s goals - yet.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
It’s better than it was without a doubt but I wouldn’t be singing it’s praises either. The mandatory U23 players per DEL team is a sham that essentially throws two players out there for a couple of minutes a game and that’s it. Not an ideal situation for the teams, nor the players.

One big thing I personally don’t like is how Germany’s development system works - it‘s essentially a development system that consists of Mannheim or nothing. There are naturally a few outliers but in the U20 level, U17 level and even U15 levels, if you want any chance at making it you better hope Mannheim wants you or else your odds of getting seen are SO much more difficult in my opinion and it’w clear this seems to be the sentiment around hockey circles from what I’ve heard also. I don‘t know how to fix it, or what needs to be done - I just know it’s a flawed system.

For a country as big and as athleticly gifted historically as Germany where Hockey is a pretty big sport - we still struggle to keep up with Slovakia or Czechia. It’s getting better and the Powerplay26 initiative has without a doubt helped things - I wouldn‘t say it has achieved it’s goals - yet.

I understand exactly what you mean, that the chance of a player developing like Seider or Stützle, for example, is much lower in Nürnberg. I would also say that they make a lot of money Hopp invests in Adler and also Hoffenheim or RN Löwen. So it is not good if Adler has well-set conditions but the rest of the clubs in Germany do not have such a financial background, which is a rather bad situation for the quality development of young players. If Mannheim is the only hope..there should be real competition here. I admit that I don't know the history of German clubs completely and who is the traditional team and who is the new team. But for the established brands in Germany, I would write Mannheim, Eisbären, Köln, Nürnberg... they are all big cities, so in theory there should be enough funding to give young players quality development outside of Mannheim.

I also came across the 5 stern program, but if I understood the meaning of the program correctly, it is about the fact that the federation distributes money based on criteria to those clubs that meet the conditions. In short, it's about how well they work in the clubs and accordingly they will receive money to run the academy.

Now that Germany has shown the world that it is capable of having elite young players, it is in a good position to negotiate the departure of players if they are drafted by an NHL club. I know that Sweden signed a new agreement about the departure of players to the NHL/AHL a year ago, maybe longer. Is there such an agreement for German clubs as well? In the article you sent me, it says that clubs cost 40,000 euros each year for one player, if he is in the club from 12 to 18, that's six years and a total of 240,000 euros. And the club doesn't get much out of it...it's a bad situation.

I agree that the rule about having two players under 23 is silly. It's never good if there's an artificial rule about the number of players in the team, if you don't have those players, you're going to hurt the two young players the most. They don't play a lot of minutes, they just sit on the bench and they just travel to games. On the other hand, it's good that they want to reduce the number of imports to four in 2026. It's quite an ambitious plan and I don't think they'll be able to do it, so I expect them to keep it at five imports.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site

It definatly has not achieved the goals yet.
What has helped our depth and quality lately is the RB Academy in Salzburg, where a lot of the bavarian prospects end up. As Mannheim a private investment and not part of the system.
From current team 10 players if i counted correctly have played / play there.
Interested to see what happens when the new training facilities and arena in Munich are ready whether that in Invest increases.
Where the DEB needs to invest in in the grass roots hockey to get more kids to play the sport.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I understand exactly what you mean, that the chance of a player developing like Seider or Stützle, for example, is much lower in Nürnberg. I would also say that they make a lot of money Hopp invests in Adler and also Hoffenheim or RN Löwen. So it is not good if Adler has well-set conditions but the rest of the clubs in Germany do not have such a financial background, which is a rather bad situation for the quality development of young players. If Mannheim is the only hope..there should be real competition here. I admit that I don't know the history of German clubs completely and who is the traditional team and who is the new team. But for the established brands in Germany, I would write Mannheim, Eisbären, Köln, Nürnberg... they are all big cities, so in theory there should be enough funding to give young players quality development outside of Mannheim.

While there are still really only 2 major youth programs with significant means (Mannheim and Munich/Salzburg) there have been notable improvements by some clubs that had almost non existent / insignificant youth programs for the longest time. This helps giving us more depth and a higher quality base line.

In the past you would occasionally have some stand out groups from teams like Köln, Düsseldorf, Berlin, Iserlohn, Krefeld, Kaufbeuren or Landshut that would challenge Mannheim in a single season, and then usually lose all their best players to Mannheim, Salzburg or foreign leagues.

There is still a solid number of clubs in traditional hockey towns (mostly in Bavaria) like Bad Tölz, Rosenheim, Füssen or Peiting to name a few, but they are struggling more and more and need help, otherwise we will lose an important segment of our development system.
On the other hand some teams from cities with DEL teams that had been notoriously weak when it comes to their development programs like Nürnberg, Wolfsburg or Straubing have made great strides in recent years. Schwenningen has also improved and Bremerhaven and Frankfurt have seen some improvement lately, though we will have to wait and see if there is really a trend or if they just had a couple of decent years.

Bottom line is, they have had some decent ideas that led to some improvements, but in the end it always comes down to money. COVID crippled several initiatives and stunted the development of some of the upcoming prospects, and most municipalities do not have the means to invest in the infrastructure the local teams would need, and the teams themselves cannot afford any big investments either. So we depend on investors like Hopp, Red Bull, Anschütz, etc. and most of those would rather invest in a low tier soccer club than a top tier or mid tier hockey team.

Reactions: EHCler

Huusko

Dec 23, 2020
The 2005-2006 prospects for Germany seem to bit a more promissing, when I think about:

Kevin Bicker: Kevin Bicker at eliteprospects.com
Norwin Panocha: Norwin Panocha at eliteprospects.com
Timo Ruckdäschel: Timo Ruckdäschel at eliteprospects.com
Maximilian Merkel: Maximilian Merkl at eliteprospects.com
Edwin Tropmann: Edwin Tropmann at eliteprospects.com
Nico Pertuch: Nico Pertuch at eliteprospects.com
Keanu Salmik: Keanu Salmik at eliteprospects.com
Linus Brandl: Linus Brandl at eliteprospects.com
Lua Niehus: Lua Niehus at eliteprospects.com
Paul Mayer: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/739462/paul-mayer
Felix Kerbel: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/818573/felix-kerbel
Tim Schütz: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/800488/tim-schutz
Konstantin Redinger: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/798722/konstantin-redinger

But I still would wish, that more German talents would go to Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Switzerland to play in their junior leagues.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The 2005-2006 prospects for Germany seem to bit a more promissing, when I think about:

Kevin Bicker: Kevin Bicker at eliteprospects.com
Norwin Panocha: Norwin Panocha at eliteprospects.com
Timo Ruckdäschel: Timo Ruckdäschel at eliteprospects.com
Maximilian Merkel: Maximilian Merkl at eliteprospects.com
Edwin Tropmann: Edwin Tropmann at eliteprospects.com
Nico Pertuch: Nico Pertuch at eliteprospects.com
Keanu Salmik: Keanu Salmik at eliteprospects.com
Linus Brandl: Linus Brandl at eliteprospects.com
Lua Niehus: Lua Niehus at eliteprospects.com
Paul Mayer: Paul Mayer at eliteprospects.com
Felix Kerbel: Felix Kerbel at eliteprospects.com
Tim Schütz: Tim Schütz at eliteprospects.com
Konstantin Redinger: Konstantin Redinger at eliteprospects.com

But I still would wish, that more German talents would go to Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Switzerland to play in their junior leagues.

2007 looks even better and there are some indications that we will have some good kids among the 2008 group too (not sure about the depth yet).

Recently Maximilian Brunner (2006) and Carlos Händel (2007) made the move to Sweden and I hope they'll do well.
But we also need to keep some good prospects around to strengthen the competition in our own leagues.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
2007 looks even better and there are some indications that we will have some good kids among the 2008 group too (not sure about the depth yet).

Recently Maximilian Brunner (2006) and Carlos Händel (2007) made the move to Sweden and I hope they'll do well.
But we also need to keep some good prospects around to strengthen the competition in our own leagues.
In Händel’s case he moved to Frolunda which is real promising for him as a prospect going forward. They’re a great program.

Händel has been the best defender in his age geoup for a while now - good for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huusko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad