Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.5%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 80 40.0%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

I don't have a subscription so I don't know what the article says other than Pronman has Yakemchuk at 3 and Wheeler has him at 13. Any highlights from subscribers (especially where they have Silayev ranked) would be appreciated!
I'll only post screenshots of what each of them said about Yakemchuk since there is a relatively large gap in their views. They also go over a lot of this in their most recent podcast. They do a weekly prospect series show every Thursday or Friday where they talk about prospect buzz and take listener questions. It's totally free on whatever podcast platform you prefer, and it's under "The Athletic Hockey Show."
Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 10.05.29 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 10.05.51 AM.png

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'll only post screenshots of what each of them said about Yakemchuk since there is a relatively large gap in their views. They also go over a lot of this in their most recent podcast. They do a weekly prospect series show every Thursday or Friday where they talk about prospect buzz and take listener questions. It's totally free on whatever podcast platform you prefer, and it's under "The Athletic Hockey Show."
View attachment 883396
View attachment 883397
Thanks! Yakemchuk's skating and defensive issues outweigh his offensive potential IMO. Especially for a team like the Ducks who have a surplus of offensive D and a complete lack of defensive D.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
It’s interesting that they have completely opposite rankings on Silayev and Yakemchuk. A few more grabs.

View attachment 883421

View attachment 883422

View attachment 883424
I said this before, but if Silayev is a 35-45 point defensemen without #1 PP time then he is basically Chara.

Chara scored 40 or more points 9 times. He only had over 25 ESP 3 times. The same amount as Hampus who we all know was not an offensive guy. Defensemen get their points from the PP. If he isn't on the #1 PP (which he shouldnt be with the other guys we have) then 35-45 points is perfect.

I know everyone wants a PPG defensemen these days, but who would you rather have for their whole career, Karlsson or Chara?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I said this before, but if Silayev is a 35-45 point defensemen without #1 PP time then he is basically Chara.

Chara scored 40 or more points 9 times. He only had over 25 ESP 3 times. The same amount as Hampus who we all know was not an offensive guy. Defensemen get their points from the PP. If he isn't on the #1 PP (which he shouldnt be with the other guys we have) then 35-45 points is perfect.

I know everyone wants a PPG defensemen these days, but who would you rather have for their whole career, Karlsson or Chara?
Too many variables. Does Chara have to get the Achilles injury and be trapped on an abysmally run franchise? Does Karlsson get to be paired with a Bergeron the entire time? Chances are that the answers would be different.

Chara being a physical freak of nature is part of what made Chara…Chara. I get what you’re saying, but we don’t know if Silayev is that collection of genetics, or just another big guy with a mean streak.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
You don’t win a Cup without a 1D. Those are best found top 3.

If the scouts see a 1D, pick that guy.
If the scouts see a 2D, pick that guy.
If the scouts see a legit top line forward, pick that guy.
If the scouts don’t see any of those…pick the 3D.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I don't see any question marks in Lindstrom's game at all. If teams are confident with his medical report then I don't see why he shouldn't be a great 2nd or 3rd overall pick.
"If teams are confident with his medical report..." That's a pretty big "if" for a 17-year-old who's suffered a herniated disc. That certainly counts as a question mark.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We have been so horrible defensively in these recent years, a 35+ point Dman who "smothers opponents top forwards" and happens to be massive and mean - it fits like a glove.
The only positive ill give Saliyev... as it should mean the end for fowler is near.

You don’t win a Cup without a 1D. Those are best found top 3.

If the scouts see a 1D, pick that guy.
If the scouts see a 2D, pick that guy.
If the scouts see a legit top line forward, pick that guy.
If the scouts don’t see any of those…pick the 3D.
Maybe i just dont have a good memory... but this draft seems so all over.... i dont think there is even close to a consensus top 5.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The only positive ill give Saliyev... as it should mean the end for fowler is near.

Maybe i just dont have a good memory... but this draft seems so all over.... i dont think there is even close to a consensus top 5.
I meant OUR scouts :laugh:

Every scout appears to have very specific concerns as to what makes a prospect a risk, and nobody seems to tick enough boxes for enough people.

Question - if Chicago doesn’t take Levshunov, should we?

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If we draft D, I have faith in our scouts drafting a good one (if not the best out of the ones ranked in that range). Hopefully we get the best defensive one of the bunch even if they're only average offensively. Our PP options are pretty much set, so any D is going to be limited offensively but we need a true PK 1 guy. We have:

Zellweger- PP1, probably not a PK option
Mintyukov- PP1/2, PK2 probably (maybe PK1 option)
LaCombe- PP2, maybe PK2?
Luneau- PP2, is he going to be a PK option?

Getting a Silayev/Dickinson/ whoever scouts view as the guy that can be a PK1 (and if they are elite will cover if Minty is a little short of being a true PK1 guy) will be massive going forward. Long term, our offense and puck moving looks good, we need guys who can stop pucks going into the net. That is unless the scouts see a true BPA, if there are several players need should be the tie breaker.

Reactions: Son of Gib

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I finally looked it up b/c I've been curious about any links between Verbeek and Igor Larionov. Turns out that they were teammates in Detroit for two years. Interesting. Larionov coaches Silayev and loves him. Not much of a stretch to imagine that PV and IL have had some interesting and informative conversations about young Silayev. If the Ducks Russian scout also speaks highly of AS then it isn't hard to imagine the Ducks pulling the trigger on him at 3OA.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
June 28 can't come soon enough for me. At this point all we have is endless speculation about a nice, but not spectacular, group of prospects, each of whom has a notable risk factor for a 3rd OA pick. It just seems like this year there is more uncertainty than normal, and I would to get it over with. Regardless of who they choose in the draft, I will be a happier camper by the end of the draft on June 29.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I thought I read something that Silayev's points were up there with the most by someone his age in the KHL? Does anyone know what that stat is?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I thought I read something that Silayev's points were up there with the most by someone his age in the KHL? Does anyone know what that stat is?
Here are the top 15 seasons from draft eligible KHL players. In terms of total points, Silayev is 4th, but in terms of points per game, he is much lower. His place on this list is more of a product of him playing so many games at that level (which is impressive in and of itself) rather than significant offensive ability.
Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 11.27.05 PM.png

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I meant OUR scouts :laugh:

Every scout appears to have very specific concerns as to what makes a prospect a risk, and nobody seems to tick enough boxes for enough people.

Question - if Chicago doesn’t take Levshunov, should we?

Could the question be similar to "If the Ducks don't take Fantilli, should Columbus?"

Is there something wrong with Fantilli that the Ducks passed on him? Is Michkov or Will Smith back at the #3 OA conversation? In the end, Columbus couldn't be bothered by queries like that and quickly ran to the podium to select Fantilli.

If that example isn't similar enough, then maybe the 2019 draft where several teams passed up on Zegras. If the eight teams ahead of Anaheim didn't select Zegras, then should the Ducks draft Zegras?

I would take Lev at #3 OA b/c of his progression for the past two seasons, converting himself from an OFD into a 2-way D as well as leading his NCAA team in scoring and defense despite being a raw prospect. He's got a higher ceiling because of his significant progression for the past two seasons.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
I think there was also an article that mentioned his coach asking him to tone down joining the attack and focus on defense first. Which can explain partially the lack of offense on the latter half of the season.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Iv been researching up Sennecke since the rumour we are interested and damn he would complete the Gauthier/Carlsson first line very nicely. I can see why the Ducks were linked to him.

2 years ago he was 5'10 now he measures in at 6'2.75. NHL scout poll had him ranked top 2 in stickhandling, hockey sense and playmaking.

He had a massive end of the year which has seen him shoot up draft boards finishing the season with 42 points in 34 games (1.24 points-per-game) and elevated that production further in the OHL playoffs scoring 10 goals and 22 points in 16 games (1.38 points-per-game).

"He has a nice combination of size and strength, brings a heavy shot, plays a 200-foot game and has a solid work ethic. "

"He had a growth spurt to 6-foot-2 and maintained a level of skill and skating ability from when he was a smaller player that keeps him particularly dangerous offensively. He plays aggressive enough off the puck and is an exciting player with it."

"Sennecke can definitely handle the puck. He’s got extremely soft hands and a confidence on it, even under pressure spinning and weaving off the wall or attacking right into defenders with his stick skill — regularly finding his way out of tough spots and traffic with craft and creativity. The puck just sticks to him."

"He's 6-foot-2, skates quite well for his size and has game-breaking skill. He's one of the more creative puckhandlers in the draft, and that he can make those difficult plays at full speed makes him highly intriguing for the NHL level."

"He isn’t afraid to rough it up and get into the dirty areas to win puck battles and is a very underrated passer, too. Sure, he got to play with one of the OHL’s top players in Cal Ritchie, but Sennecke is not getting carried – he is a powerhouse himself."

"He possesses a rare anticipation quality where if he doesn't have the puck on his stick, he soon will. He is a cerebral forechecker, consistently breaking up first passes on opposing breakouts. He reads how pucks will bounce loose from board battles so he can pick them up in stride. He's also perennially open as a passing option regardless of where the puck is on the ice."

He had dinner with Columbus and Utah so they are keen on him too.

Still think a D is the way to go but I can see us finalising our future top line with Sennecke.

Reactions: Kalv and Tokioduck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad