Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Now you guys actually have me thinking long and hard at Buium. He might be the best pick.

I know the word "compete" gets over used, but I think that's more critical to a winning team than just having a bigger team. Even a team built on size can and will have smaller players in the mix. Having tenacious players at all sizes and positions is the key to a winning team, IMO.

As the saying goes, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Couldnt agree more. Buium has that dog in him and is a very confident player in all situations. For sure doesn't like to lose... not like his teams ever do.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I still have Levshunov at 3, but I agree about Demidov feeling like the clear 2nd best player. I feel pretty strongly that Silayev will be our pick though.
The fact that Demidov speaks English well enough to not need a translator already was a big bonus to it. Intelligent enough to learn a new language (while playing hockey at a high level), means that he's serious about wanting to come over here, and has a ton of skill.

One added advantage of drafting Russian is Verbeek can't rush the prospect too lol. Luneau full time (hopefully) in a year, this year's pick in 2. (But I think Demidov only has 1 year left in his contract, Silayev has 2?)

Reactions: ohcomeonref

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
The more I read, the more I think my draft list is:
Celebrini
Demidov
Silayev

I feel like there might be a couple of guys that might be better, but Silayev will be close and a bigger impact for the Ducks. Demidov seems like a clear 2nd best, though.

Dude, if Demidov is there at three and we pass on him, you all are going to have to talk me off of the ledge tomorrow.

DucksRoll

May 9, 2015
I don't think we're gonna take Demidov. Sennecke feels like a high risk pick, and while I could believe they like him, I just don't see Anaheim taking him there. Maybe if they're set on moving Zegras, but otherwise I don't see it. I don't think Lindstrom is the guy either.

Silayev is very possible, particularly because he fits a need. But he's three years away and none of the staff have seen him in person. Personally, I think it's Zeev Buium. Madden was raving about him the other day and he fits what they are looking for. Plus he's an elite all around defenseman.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I still don't see Chicago passing on Demidov and Bedard as a top line combo for years to come. I think the Ducks are going to have first crack at whatever D they want in this draft.

I don't think we're gonna take Demidov. Sennecke feels like a high risk pick, and while I could believe they like him, I just don't see Anaheim taking him there. Maybe if they're set on moving Zegras, but otherwise I don't see it. I don't think Lindstrom is the guy either.

Silayev is very possible, particularly because he fits a need. But he's three years away and none of the staff have seen him in person. Personally, I think it's Zeev Buium. Madden was raving about him the other day and he fits what they are looking for. Plus he's an elite all around defenseman.
Do we know that for sure? The Ducks have a Russian scout.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR

Buium's processing of the game makes him a for sure top pairing d-man. If he can just add some acceleration to his first step to give him some separation speed he'll be a perennial all star IMO.

edit: I hadn't read that quote from Madden. Sounds like he's definitely an option

"And Buium is a winner. He's won everywhere he's been. He led that Denver team to a championship. He's a really smart, mobile modern defenseman. That's the way I would put it."

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
From Chris Peters:
There’s more in the article, but this is the key paragraph:
“The nuclear codes might be better protected than who the Anaheim Ducks are going to select at No. 3. Asking around, it seems that a lot of teams in the upper portion of the draft are guessing just as much as we are in the media. ”

So basically anyone claiming to know doesn’t. Any media reports are just gonna be speculation from hearing speculation. 24 hours!

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Buium's processing of the game makes him a for sure top pairing d-man. If he can just add some acceleration to his first step to give him some separation speed he'll be a perennial all star IMO.

edit: I hadn't read that quote from Madden. Sounds like he's definitely an option

"And Buium is a winner. He's won everywhere he's been. He led that Denver team to a championship. He's a really smart, mobile modern defenseman. That's the way I would put it."
Madden did that kind of praise on Carlsson and Smith last year. This year its Buium and Silayev he gives that to. Last year his comments on Fantilli were so bland like he isn't their guy or that he thinks Fantilli is overrated ?, kind of got that vibe from what he said about Lev.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't understand this thought that Lev has terrible compete level. From the video scouting I've seen, there are times Lev is deep in the Ozone and some video scouts expect him to be the first person back. We've witnessed when our forwards don't rotate to the blue line when our defensemen pinch down and lead to off-men situations, that our d-men do take time coming back. But we don't know all the context of said highlights such as how long has Lev been out on the ice prior to pinching down and the puck going back the other way.

Here's a kid who went from no high level form of hockey (Belarussian juniors) to the USHL and then NCAA. He's an OFD who has been trying to develop into a 2-way D for the past two seasons. Lev went from worst +/- (-15 rating) on his USHL club to best +/- (+27 rating) on his NCAA club between one summer. He also finished second in scoring for his NCAA team by one point behind the leader. The macro picture doesn't describe a player who has a low compete level. Without Lev, Michigan St. (his NCAA club) would have have vastly improved their standing.

MSU
2022-23 (no Lev): ranked 16th in NCAA and missed the NCAA Tourney
2023-24 (with Lev): ranked 4th in NCAA, won Big-10 championship, and made the NCAA Tourney

Denver
2022-23 (no Zeev): ranked 4th in NCAA and made NCAA Tourney
2023-24 (with Zeev): ranked 3th in NCAA, won NCHC championship, and won the NCAA Tourney

Zeev Buium has been training with established programs since age 13 with LA Jr Kings U13, Shattuck St. Mary's U14, Shattuck St. Mary's U15, US NTDP U17, and US NTDP U18 before getting to college with Denver.

Denver is a stacked team with an overabundance of drafted players, 12 drafted skaters. MSU has six drafted players, with one of them being a goalie.

2024 NCAA, U19 defensemen stats
2024 NCAA, U19 defensemen stats (skaters).png

I look at that U19 NCAA list of d-men and am a bit baffled that Lev has a low compete level. If he did have low compete level, then his stock would drop drastically like Arthur Kaliyev in 2019 and Jacob Perreault in 2020. Many still have Lev in their top-3, including McKenzie.

Despite Lev's high production offensively and defensively, he's still a raw prospect. That's the big draw on Lev. How much more can he improve and what does he have in tow? Brad Allen from Hockey Prospects (I think that's the media) said that Lev's offense at age 15 looked like the next Cale Makar, but at the NCAA level that dynamic isn't there. In one of the many Lev scouting videos, one critique showed how Lev was dynamic in the USHL offensively, but couldn't pull off that move at the NCAA level because the competition level was higher.

Lev looks this good while playing a more simplified, offensive game as well as improving his defense. Being a shutdown or defensive D-man isn't how Lev started like Dickinson, Silayev, or Zeev. He is an OFD turned/turning 2-way D. That huge jump in Lev's dev from Belarus Jr Hockey to USHL to NCAA is profound. Parekh and Yakemchuk are OFD's that are still in the infancy stage of becoming a 2-way D.

Here's an article on Lev that was written in early December by Wheeler to give you an insight of Lev that also covers his USHL days/development.

“Luke Hughes is an unbelievable talent, but I think Arty has more upside just because of his size,” Leone told The Athletic last April, still unsure if Levshunov would return for a second season in Green Bay or make the jump to college. “This kid is like 6-foot-3, 215 (pounds) and the complete package. The games where he and (Macklin) Celebrini played against each other, it was awesome and both of them were the best players on the ice and you’re like, ‘This is so good for our league.’”
After starting him in a sheltered role, Leone found himself doing everything he could to get him more minutes as the year went on. Though Levshunov didn’t start on the penalty kill, he finished as Leone’s best penalty killer and a top shot blocker. Though he posted 13 goals and 42 points in 62 games (both of which are among the most by an under-18 defenseman in the league’s history) and was named to the USHL’s All-Rookie Team and Third All-Star Team, Leone guesses he hit 15 posts.

DucksRoll

May 9, 2015
Do we know that for sure? The Ducks have a Russian scout.
I overstated it. They have one guy. I just don't see them putting that much risk into a guy almost no one has seen in person. I could very easily be wrong.

Yeah, when I read that quote, my first thought was that those are exactly the attributes Madden said they most value in a defenseman.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I don't understand this thought that Lev has terrible compete level. From the video scouting I've seen, there are times Lev is deep in the Ozone and some video scouts expect him to be the first person back. We've witnessed when our forwards don't rotate to the blue line when our defensemen pinch down and lead to off-men situations, that our d-men do take time coming back. But we don't know all the context of said highlights such as how long has Lev been out on the ice prior to pinching down and the puck going back the other way.

Here's a kid who went from no high level form of hockey (Belarussian juniors) to the USHL and then NCAA. He's an OFD who has been trying to develop into a 2-way D for the past two seasons. Lev went from worst +/- (-15 rating) on his USHL club to best +/- (+27 rating) on his NCAA club between one summer. He also finished second in scoring for his NCAA team by one point behind the leader. The macro picture doesn't describe a player who has a low compete level. Without Lev, Michigan St. (his NCAA club) would have have vastly improved their standing.

MSU
2022-23 (no Lev): ranked 16th in NCAA and missed the NCAA Tourney
2023-24 (with Lev): ranked 4th in NCAA, won Big-10 championship, and made the NCAA Tourney

Denver
2022-23 (no Zeev): ranked 4th in NCAA and made NCAA Tourney
2023-24 (with Zeev): ranked 3th in NCAA, won NCHC championship, and won the NCAA Tourney

Zeev Buium has been training with established programs since age 13 with LA Jr Kings U13, Shattuck St. Mary's U14, Shattuck St. Mary's U15, US NTDP U17, and US NTDP U18 before getting to college with Denver.

Denver is a stacked team with an overabundance of drafted players, 12 drafted skaters. MSU has six drafted players, with one of them being a goalie.

2024 NCAA, U19 defensemen stats
View attachment 888252

I look at that U19 NCAA list of d-men and am a bit baffled that Lev has a low compete level. If he did have low compete level, then his stock would drop drastically like Arthur Kaliyev in 2019 and Jacob Perreault in 2020. Many still have Lev in their top-3, including McKenzie.

Despite Lev's high production offensively and defensively, he's still a raw prospect. That's the big draw on Lev. How much more can he improve and what does he have in tow? Brad Allen from Hockey Prospects (I think that's the media) said that Lev's offense at age 15 looked like the next Cale Makar, but at the NCAA level that dynamic isn't there. In one of the many Lev scouting videos, one critique showed how Lev was dynamic in the USHL offensively, but couldn't pull off that move at the NCAA level because the competition level was higher.

Lev looks this good while playing a more simplified, offensive game as well as improving his defense. Being a shutdown or defensive D-man isn't how Lev started like Dickinson, Silayev, or Zeev. He is an OFD turned/turning 2-way D. That huge jump in Lev's dev from Belarus Jr Hockey to USHL to NCAA is profound. Parekh and Yakemchuk are OFD's that are still in the infancy stage of becoming a 2-way D.

Here's an article on Lev that was written in early December by Wheeler to give you an insight of Lev that also covers his USHL days/development.

“Luke Hughes is an unbelievable talent, but I think Arty has more upside just because of his size,” Leone told The Athletic last April, still unsure if Levshunov would return for a second season in Green Bay or make the jump to college. “This kid is like 6-foot-3, 215 (pounds) and the complete package. The games where he and (Macklin) Celebrini played against each other, it was awesome and both of them were the best players on the ice and you’re like, ‘This is so good for our league.’”
After starting him in a sheltered role, Leone found himself doing everything he could to get him more minutes as the year went on. Though Levshunov didn’t start on the penalty kill, he finished as Leone’s best penalty killer and a top shot blocker. Though he posted 13 goals and 42 points in 62 games (both of which are among the most by an under-18 defenseman in the league’s history) and was named to the USHL’s All-Rookie Team and Third All-Star Team, Leone guesses he hit 15 posts.

He “presents” as lazy or nonchalant at times…but so does every elite defenseman in the NHL so personally I’m not worried about it, if he’s available at 3 I think it’s a steal.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Sennecke went boom from about January so these models won't be representative of his growth curve

He “presents” as lazy or nonchalant at times…but so does every elite defenseman in the NHL so personally I’m not worried about it, if he’s available at 3 I think it’s a steal.
Every elite dman presents a lazy nonchalant way about them at times? Hard disagree we don’t need that from a player we hope to become our #1 dman. Pronger sure as hell wasn’t that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad