Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Meh. 23 goals/61 points isn’t a top six standout for me. Not giving him credit for being better than the other stiffs Ducks iced.
You’re crazy. He was on pace for 70 points that year on the WORST offensive team in the league. Out of touch with reality

He’s certainly a high end 2nd liner and probably a solid 1st liner if he rebounds

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

Attachments

• tenor-3896249556.gif
    tenor-3896249556.gif
    512.5 KB · Views: 2

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I almost forgot that the highest rated American in the draft (Zeev Buium) grew up in laguna Niguel in orange county, near where I grew up in the next city over in Dana Point. We've consistently produced Baseball players in OC but hockey players still seems like a new thing. He seems for sure a lock to go ahead of Eiserman who's from Massachusetts.

Ducks have done a great job growing the game in OC and its been a beneficial to the whole league increasing the talent pool. But Ducks never get to host draft.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Discussions regarding Terry and Zegras should probably not be in this thread unless being used as a comparable for one of the prospects in this draft.
When they are being debated as being the trade chips for this year’s draft picks, then it’s appropriate to comment on the relative merits of the reasoning being used to trade them.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I almost forgot that the highest rated American in the draft (Zeev Buium) grew up in laguna Niguel in orange county, near where I grew up in the next city over in Dana Point. We've consistently produced Baseball players in OC but hockey players still seems like a new thing. He seems for sure a lock to go ahead of Eiserman who's from Massachusetts.

Ducks have done a great job growing the game in OC and its been a beneficial to the whole league increasing the talent pool. But Ducks never get to host draft.
A lot of D1 talent is coming out of the Aliso viejo rink these days

I think the question with Terry is would you trade a guy like Sennecke for Terry or if we go with a F with the 3oa would you trade one of the top D if he fell in the draft. It’s extremely unlikely in my opinion but interesting to think about.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
you

I think Fowler could have some solid value…. And really not part of the core.

I would hope Fowler and Gibson could fetch that but it seems less likely. I just want to move on from the 'old guard' entirely and start over with Dostal and co.

I've actually started to wonder this morning if they would prioritize a forward over a defenseman. Verbeek seems happy with the development of Zellweger, and especially Luneau.

Reactions: spuddy

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I would hope Fowler and Gibson could fetch that but it seems less likely. I just want to move on from the 'old guard' entirely and start over with Dostal and co.

I've actually started to wonder this morning if they would prioritize a forward over a defenseman. Verbeek seems happy with the development of Zellweger, and especially Luneau.
We still need to find a partner for Gauthier and Carlson on the first line for the next decade. I can easily see us use this opportunity to draft that guy and trust our #1 rated D scouts to find defenders later in the draft or even with our first round pick next year.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
We still need to find a partner for Gauthier and Carlson on the first line for the next decade. I can easily see us use this opportunity to draft that guy and trust our #1 rated D scouts to find defenders later in the draft or even with our first round pick next year.
I could see our top two lines like:

Cutter - Leo - Zegras (skilled/high IQ/high scoring line)
Lindstrom - MacT - Colangelo (matchup line for other team's top line but can still score and control puck possession)

The second line would be very physically imposing and would play like the Kesler line freeing up the Carlsson line to feast. We also have a lot of 3rd line types in the system to backfill. I think Zegras has the skill to play on his off wing would be very interesting with those linemates. Would allow him to work his way into the middle of the ice more and create more chances.

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad

*Tin foil hat on*. I mean, Buium would be the perfect poster boy for the new "orange country" movement. The timing would be impeccable. A huge marketing statement.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
We should be looking at all options into acquiring another first round pick. Outside of Zegras and Terry, don’t think anyone else can garner that much value
I would prefer to trade 31 + next year’s pick over trading either of those guys for a top 10 pick, as doing so just pushes relevancy off another 2-3 years, and with most of those players you’re simply hoping to get a similar level of production in 4-5 years with a different skill set. I would trade neither for a mid-1st, which some are advocating. I was just saying that some of the mental gymnastics being performed to justify trading Terry by saying he’s a soft perimeter player are simply inaccurate. He’s all too frequently in his own head, but he absolutely drives the net, and has built himself up physically every off-season.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
*Tin foil hat on*. I mean, Buium would be the perfect poster boy for the new "orange country" movement. The timing would be impeccable. A huge marketing statement.
As nice as the story would be, a high draft pick like that shouldn't be made on the basis of marketing value.

I like him at 3 because of how he plays and how he projects (imo), but if the scouts don't think he's the best option, he shouldn't be the pick just to make a marketing statement.

If you want the marketing statement too, and the scouts don't view Buium as the best option, get another draft pick to get the feel good story and another great prospect.

And I know that philosophy probably clashes with my defense of Silayev at 3. But the same thing applies. I personally feel like he's got great potential and can be something the Ducks blueline is lacking. But if our scouts, in their professional experience, think they have a better option at 3, they shouldn't take Silayev.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As nice as the story would be, a high draft pick like that shouldn't be made on the basis of marketing value.

I like him at 3 because of how he plays and how he projects (imo), but if the scouts don't think he's the best option, he shouldn't be the pick just to make a marketing statement.

If you want the marketing statement too, and the scouts don't view Buium as the best option, get another draft pick to get the feel good story and another great prospect.

And I know that philosophy probably clashes with my defense of Silayev at 3. But the same thing applies. I personally feel like he's got great potential and can be something the Ducks blueline is lacking. But if our scouts, in their professional experience, think they have a better option at 3, they shouldn't take Silayev.

Buium might be the best dmen in this draft class when we look back…. Everyone talks about all the other dmens flaws…. Buium has no flaws really…. Just a bit shorter than people would like.

If we do go lhd , buium is the guy I’d want.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

If Buium's the guy he's the guy and they pick him. I agree if he's not 'the guy' they want they got to pick someone else.
I'd hate to see another Etem/Kerdille situation where a socal guy is picked and just busts.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Buium might be the best dmen in this draft class when we look back…. Everyone talks about all the other dmens flaws…. Buium has no flaws really…. Just a bit shorter than people would like.

If we do go lhd , buium is the guy I’d want.
If Buium's the guy he's the guy and they pick him. I agree if he's not 'the guy' they want they got to pick someone else.
I'd hate to see another Etem/Kerdille situation where a socal guy is picked and just busts.
Agreed. I think I'd have him second or third on my preferences for a defenseman. Zegs, I know your guy is Levshunov. I do feel that Buium has very good vision, excellent decision making, good presence, it's just that yeah, his size is a bit of a minus. But at 6 foot as an 18 year old, it's not impossible for him to grow another inch or two and pack on muscle. I'd be more concerned about that if he was, say, 5'7. I do feel like some scouts are sleeping on him from where he's ranked.

I think I'm just too enamored with the idea of the Ducks adding a stable defenseman to the blueline who can excel at both ends of the ice even if it's at the expense of offensive production. Guys like Parekh and Yakemchuk don't really appeal to me that much. Though Yak's defense is a fair bit better than Parekh's, I worry about how it will translate in the NHL. Feels like a Darnell Nurse waiting to happen. I'm a lot higher on guys like Silayev, Buium and Dickinson.

I'd put Silayev narrowly above Buium for his physical package, the near guarantee you get that he'd excel defensively given his ability to do so against grown men in the KHL. The thing is, the more I've looked into him, the more it seems he does have offensive weapons in his tool kit that he's suppressed by focusing almost entirely on developing his defensive game. I mean he's an 18 year old playing in the second best pro league in the world. He can make his game more well rounded next season. So I'd be excited to see how he can develop if we picked him, but I acknowledge there's cause for concern that might make the Ducks pass.

As for Levshunov, I get he's a righty and has a lot of tools. I just worry about his reported issues with compete. D+0 is the time to fight your ass off to prove your worth. If he's struggling with consistent drive and compete at this stage, I worry about his ability to develop into his potential. I'd prefer Silayev, Buium or Dickinson over him but I'd probably have him fourth among the defensemen on the eve of the draft.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad