Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
So Demidov has Leo like legs.

He knows how to use them?

KB6DnZ.gif

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Ducks are so inscrutable though. If the Hawks are actually targeting someone else, and swap picks, can they be sure the Ducks won't take their guy?

The Oracle at Delphi would have a tough time predicting Ducks draft picks in a normal year, never mind this one.

The Hawks can go forward (Demidov/Lindstrom) or defense (Lev) because they need more talent across the board. So it doesn't matter who Anaheim selects if Anaheim trades to #2. Anaheim does have a need at RD. The rumors of Ducks taking RD Yakemchuk at #3 identifies the focus on RD, which is odd b/c there are better options both at forward and defense. That rumor pigeon holes us for a RD.

The added response is unnecessary b/c y'all think I'm being 100% serious when I stated it could be a ploy/'fun and games' for Chicago as a smokescreen/4-d chess. It's good to have a fun imagination.

As for predictions, I don't know about you, but I've had a good run on predicting recent draft picks for the Ducks.

Oct 18, 2011
Isn't the history of taking dmen without much natural offensive talent/puck skills this high in the draft pretty bad? I think I favor adding more offensive talent up front over this

I mean.. If we were to bundle let’s say:

Terry + something (or)
Gibson + something (or)
Zegras + something

to grab another top 10ish pick to draft Sennecke then sure, I wouldn’t mind. Again, I haven’t paid close attention to prospects in quite some time. So forgive me with hearing about this player for the first time
I wouldn't trade Zegras for a top 10 pick in this draft.

Perry was Here

Jun 17, 2024
The Hawks can go forward (Demidov/Lindstrom) or defense (Lev) because they need more talent across the board. So it doesn't matter who Anaheim selects if Anaheim trades to #2. Anaheim does have a need at RD. The rumors of Ducks taking RD Yakemchuk at #3 identifies the focus on RD, which is odd b/c there are better options both at forward and defense. That rumor pigeon holes us for a RD.

The added response is unnecessary b/c y'all think I'm being 100% serious when I stated it could be a ploy/'fun and games' for Chicago as a smokescreen/4-d chess. It's good to have a fun imagination.

As for predictions, I don't know about you, but I've had a good run on predicting recent draft picks for the Ducks.
It's hard to predict this years pick.

I look at it from this perspective: Verbeek hired Cronin because he bought into Cronin's style which is a high pressure man on man system. You can't be lazy in this system especially in the defensive zone. Can Yakemchuk play a high pressure defense which requires quite a bit of movement and good skating? Is he going to be good at keeping a tight gap on his player? He doesn't impress as someone who could. Is there another available defenseman that could if Levshunov goes 2OA? Maybe Buium. I don't know Dickinson well enough to come to a conclusion with him.

Which forwards in the draft that are available could play this kind of system? Iginla? Lindstrom? Maybe Demidov? I buy into the rumors of who we're picking as much as the rumors about Zegras being traded. Just a bunch of noise. Even at the draft last year, it looked like the Ducks contingent were still debating who to pick.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA

I look at it from this perspective: Verbeek hired Cronin because he bought into Cronin's style which is a high pressure man on man system. You can't be lazy in this system especially in the defensive zone. Can Yakemchuk play a high pressure defense which requires quite a bit of movement and good skating? Is he going to be good at keeping a tight gap on his player? He doesn't impress as someone who could. Is there another available defenseman that could if Levshunov goes 2OA? Maybe Buium. I don't know Dickinson well enough to come to a conclusion with him.

Which forwards in the draft that are available could play this kind of system? Iginla? Lindstrom? Maybe Demidov? I buy into the rumors of who we're picking as much as the rumors about Zegras being traded. Just a bunch of noise. Even at the draft last year, it looked like the Ducks contingent were still debating who to pick.
Unless Cronin can figure out how to have his guys not look lost out there, I don’t think he’ll be around long enough for any of these prospects from this draft anyways. Everyone but Celebrini is at least 1-2 years out. Either way we shouldn’t be drafting based off systems from an unproven rookie coach.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I sure hope our BPA list isn’t based on who best fits into the playing style preferred by the current coach. That’s a recipe for disaster.

You’re supposed to acquire the best players possible and hire a coach who can get the best out of each player.
Like when they drafted Max Jones in 2016 and they talked about how he was a Randy Carlyle style player(The Ducks had just hired Randy at the time), main boards were already calling him 'Corey Perry-ish' back then. The BPA I remember people talking about was the Cat, Debrincat.
At the time I was thrilled with the Jones pick because he sounded like a lesser version of Perry but with better skating. He even had his own Perry like suspensions in the same junior team Perry played for (London Knights).

Reactions: ff8

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
If Demidov would be available I am 120% on him. Imho best player in the draft in terms of upside. If CHI takes him, I am open for a hand full of players that I really like.

I still do somehow pray for getting NJD 10th overall in exchange for Gibby + EDM first.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Like when they drafted Max Jones in 2016 and they talked about how he was a Randy Carlyle style player(The Ducks had just hired Randy at the time), main boards were already calling him 'Corey Perry-ish' back then. The BPA I remember people talking about was the Cat, Debrincat.
At the time I was thrilled with the Jones pick because he sounded like a lesser version of Perry but with better skating. He even had his own Perry like suspensions in the same junior team Perry played for (London Knights).

Jones has been injury plagued since being drafted. A big, fast, physical goal scorer... just never panned out with goal scoring and staying healthy at the pro level.

Jones being #24 OA, he was already a gamble on who pans out the further away you get from the top-10 picks. In the 2016 draft, Hockey-Reference gauges players on PS (Point Share) and the consistent bombing of prospects (under 10 PS ratings) starts at pick 10.

Several teams passed on Tage Thompson, Jordan Kyrou, and DeBrincat. This happens regularly in every draft.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
If Demidov would be available I am 120% on him. Imho best player in the draft in terms of upside. If CHI takes him, I am open for a hand full of players that I really like.

Yeah, I am starting to warm up to him. He might be just as talented offensively as Celebrini even. If Levshunov is taken, and the other options have their faults, it would be a pretty risky move to pass on Demidov.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, I am starting to warm up to him. He might be just as talented offensively as Celebrini even. If Levshunov is taken, and the other options have their faults, it would be a pretty risky move to pass on Demidov.
I think the only reason he’s not in tier 1 w/ celebrini is because he’s Russian.

I think regardless we’re getting a great player at 3…. It’ll just be interesting to see which way the scouts/org decide to go.

Out of levshunov, Dickinson, buium, Demidov, lindstrom, saliyev, sannecke, yakemchuk, catton and iginla…. The only guys I would be semi disappointed in are

Saliyev- if he pans out, then it’s fine pick…. But I think at 3, it’s a pretty vanilla pick. People like to dream of chara/hedman type, but I think that’s a long shot…. And I’m guessing he ends up as a top 4 shutdown guy, which isn’t a bad thing I’d just hope for more with hopefully our last pick at the bottom of draft. I feel like you can get a similar player like elick/Emery etc in bottom 1st/ early 2nd…. There is a # of big rhd in that area.

And then lindstrom, the back injury is significant enough to pass on him(tho I have warmed up to the idea of him skill wise)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think the only reason he’s not in tier 1 w/ celebrini is because he’s Russian.

I think regardless we’re getting a great player at 3…. It’ll just be interesting to see which way the scouts/org decide to go.

Out of levshunov, Dickinson, buium, Demidov, lindstrom, saliyev, sannecke, yakemchuk, catton and iginla…. The only guys I would be semi disappointed in are

Saliyev- if he pans out, then it’s fine pick…. But I think at 3, it’s a pretty vanilla pick. People like to dream of chara/hedman type, but I think that’s a long shot…. And I’m guessing he ends up as a top 4 shutdown guy, which isn’t a bad thing I’d just hope for more with hopefully our last pick at the bottom of draft. I feel like you can get a similar player like elick/Emery etc in bottom 1st/ early 2nd…. There is a # of big rhd in that area.

And then lindstrom, the back injury is significant enough to pass on him(tho I have warmed up to the idea of him skill wise)
As a counterpoint, as I watch the SC playoffs / finals the only two players I'd want in my lineup from this draft (ex Celebrini) are a healthy Lindstrom or Silayev.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
Interesting note from Elliotte Friedman on 32TP today:

“I have one team that told me that they believe that the word around the league is, there is another team out there that wants Demidov really badly that is spreading all of these nasty rumors about him… that he’s short, or that he won’t come over to the NHL, because they want Demidov to drop to them.”

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Some interesting takes...definitely is not the way the draft will play out though. I'll bet his final mock is way different than his final rankings.

Interesting note from Elliotte Friedman on 32TP today:

“I have one team that told me that they believe that the word around the league is, there is another team out there that wants Demidov really badly that is spreading all of these nasty rumors about him… that he’s short, or that he won’t come over to the NHL, because they want Demidov to drop to them.”
LOL...how do you spell "Montreal"?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
On the main prospects board, @19Simon19 put out his annual draft tome...it is massive and hard to download but his top 5 are:
1. Celebrini
2. Lindstrom
3. Demidov
4. Silayev
5. Sennecke

He's had some very good takes over the past couple of years. I believe he is an ex-scout from the Montreal area so his opinions are fairly credible.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Ive heard Demidov has an elite motor which I think is a huge plus and something often missed by fans that have him labeled as a small, soft and skilled forward. 6'1 with an elite motor is great on the forecheck and backcheck, both of which I think PV is putting a lot of value on.

Demidov at 6'1 height changes it for me. Divided between Demidov or Silayev at #3
Me too. I thought he was 5'11.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Unless Cronin can figure out how to have his guys not look lost out there, I don’t think he’ll be around long enough for any of these prospects from this draft anyways. Everyone but Celebrini is at least 1-2 years out. Either way we shouldn’t be drafting based off systems from an unproven rookie coach.
Which is why drafting on the current need for a RD doesn't make sense either. BPA is pretty much always the correct path to take.

None of these guys are going to be making positive contributions in a solidified, top 4 role on RD for years most likely. NHL rosters can end up looking very different over the course of even 2-3 seasons with trades, free agent acquisitions, etc.

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023

I still do somehow pray for getting NJD 10th overall in exchange for Gibby + EDM first.
Sounds like Calgary is trading Markstrom to NJ. It's close to done.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
On the main prospects board, @19Simon19 put out his annual draft tome...it is massive and hard to download but his top 5 are:
1. Celebrini
2. Lindstrom
3. Demidov
4. Silayev
5. Sennecke

He's had some very good takes over the past couple of years. I believe he is an ex-scout from the Montreal area so his opinions are fairly credible.
For people unfamiliar, he lists the number of games watched for each guy. He watched Silayev 19 times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad