Prospect Info: With the 55th overall pick the Anaheim Ducks select Brandon Montour

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Somewhat older defenseman from Waterloo of the USHL. 6'0 and 174lbs. Ranked 124th by Central Scouting.

Commentary on NHLN broadcast:
Button: Dynamic, good shot, creates offense, Ducks getting stronger and stronger, strong pick, let him grow, lot of offensive ability
McKenzie: High risk, high reward, offensive ability, tore up USHL

In his first season with the Waterloo Black Hawks of the United States Hockey League (USHL), Montour was named the 2013-14 USHL Defenseman of the Year and USHL Player of the Year as determined by a vote of League coaches and general managers. [...]
Player Profile on official Ducks site

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Doesn't seem like a player who would of gone in the 2nd. Always a bit weary of drafting a 20 year old in the 2nd round, but got to trust the scouts!

Come on Anaheim trade for a 3rd rounder to get Karlsson or Glover :sarcasm:

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Guys, in Madden we trust

Were really building up a date pool. Although quite a few are boom/bust or projects it seems so we're amassing some quantity

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
This guy was ranked 124th by the Central Scouting, but was picked 55th even though Ducks had 123rd pick. The questions will forever remain...

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
This guy was ranked 124th by the Central Scouting, but was picked 55th even though Ducks had 123rd pick. The questions will forever remain...

Poor kid. No matter how well he develops, we'll always be looking at the players we passed up and wonder what could have been.

Just like Lindholm, he'll never step out of that dark shadow.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

For the biggest part, it's a harsh thing to do to a young kid. Even when he wins the Norris, while he's still on his acceptance speech, people will wonder if he was worth it over guys like Donato, Dvorak or McLeod.

EDIT: Beaten to it by VS. :laugh:

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

If that was the kid they wanted you can't hope he'll be there 70 picks later. I trust our scouts and if they think this kid is worth a second rounder than I'm all for it. I'm sure he'll play a year in college and then we'll get to see what he can do in the A. I have a good feeling about this kid.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Ha ha ha Was this supposed to be satire because it kinda reminds me of the whole Lindholm pick. Lindholm getting picked 6th vs mid round teens is similar to the talent level divide of 55th to 124th... well, just a little further. But in both situations, the Ducks didn't want that talent to be picked by someone else. They have shown the ability to take who they want early if they wanted that player badly (Lindholm), trade down because they player they wanted wasn't there (Noesen - traded down and picked up Rakell and Gibson), or simply wait (Fowler and Etem).

Our scouting staff seems to have a beed on defensemen such as Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm, and Theodore. We're still waiting on Welinski and Cooper. We have some late rounders in Manson and Megna (i think). So grabbing this guy instead of hoping he actually makes it 124 is playing a terrible gamble.

Wow... just stating all those names, if some of them pan out, then that's trade fodder. But wow again to think in about three years we will have Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen and Theodore all on NHL ice! How freakin' fortunate for us to draft and develop such high talent?! We all know it's difficult to trade or sign great players and usually the best way is to develop them.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Obviously being an overager isn't ideal but this scouting staff has earned my absolute complete trust.

They probably did not think he would last another three rounds...might as well grab him while you can. :)

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
If that was the kid they wanted you can't hope he'll be there 70 picks later. I trust our scouts and if they think this kid is worth a second rounder than I'm all for it. I'm sure he'll play a year in college and then we'll get to see what he can do in the A. I have a good feeling about this kid.
If you heard a whoooosh after hitting submit there's is a reason...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Thanks for posting the video, I'm excited by this pick now. Montour has very obvious talent to work with, very nice quick release on that point shot. Reminds me a bit of Ryan Ellis in some of those clips.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
20 year old in the USHL? Isn't the USHL generally for kids on their way to NCAA? Was he held back a year or something?

I think teams should pick overagers more often. But OTH since they generally don't, you do have to wonder if he would have lasted. But since we gave away our 3rd and didn't pick again until the 5th round, I guess it makes sense.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Shame he's going to UMass and not Northeastern. (partial :sarcasm:) He's the Minutemen's highest drafted player ever.

I look forward to seeing this kid live.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad