Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2024 Draft, the Ducks take Beckett Sennecke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Madden and Verbeek have said Sennecke has Elite Hockey Sense/IQ. Have not seen anyone say Lindstrom has elite hockey IQ. Verbeek has been saying since he became GM that he values hockey IQ the most and both Carlsson/Sennecke are elite hockey sense guys. He also mentioned that Mintyukov has very high hockey sense.

This is another reason I prefer Sennecke over Lindstrom, he's got elite hockey sense/IQ. I think Lindstroms hockey sense is good but its not as good as Sennecke.
Like how it is with Carlsson vs Fantilli, Fantillis hockey sense is good but its not elite tier like Carlsson.
Lindstrom straight up has bad hockey iq. Not nhl caliber. The rest of his tools are pretty high end. I wouldn’t have minded the pick because we wouldn’t need him to drive play but Sennecke is so different. He literally has the potential to be our best player.

A bigger sample actually, Lindstrom was at 1.43 PPG in 32 games, Sennecke was over 1.57 in his last 44 games, and there was a stretch over 20 he was at 1.65.
And one guys is fully matured and the other guy will be getting bigger and stronger over the next couple of years

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Lindstrom straight up has bad hockey iq. Not nhl caliber. The rest of his tools are pretty high end. I wouldn’t have minded the pick because we wouldn’t need him to drive play but Sennecke is so different. He literally has the potential to be our best player.

And one guys is fully matured and the other guy will be getting bigger and stronger over the next couple of years

TBF, we don't know much about Lindstrom's total package because his season ended early. If Sennecke's season ended early, then Sennecke would have been a bottom 1st/ 2nd round pick, But because Sennecke played all season and into the playoffs, he was able to find lightning in the bottle later into the season. His late season situation has shades of Brayden Tracey, was Tracey riding the coattails of his linemates or can he produce on his own? Once Sennecke was paired with Calum Ritchie, then that line skyrocketed late into the season and playoffs.

SenneckeD+0Splits
SeasonGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
D+0
63​
27​
41​
68​
1.08​
33​
Oct-Jan
42​
15​
24​
39​
0.93​
16​
Feb-Mar
21​
12​
17​
29​
1.38​
17​
Playoffs
16​
10​
12​
22​
1.38​
9​

===========
Lindstom didn't need all season in his D+0 to show vast improvement in his game.

Lindstrom, EP stats.png

Lindstrom was able to surpass his D-1 production in almost half the games played! That's difficult to overlook unless you've got a back injury that cost you the rest of your season.

I think that's the factor that Anaheim chose to bypass, Lindstrom's back issue. Similarly, Anaheim probably wanted to avoid Demidov's Russian factor, such as our org having no direct input with Demidov while in the KHL. With Sennecke, he's a taller Kent Johnson and our scouts are hoping a lot of things go right for Sennecke physically and on the ice. Guess Sennecke is the lesser of the three evils in the minds of the Anaheim front office. Still, the small Sennecke's sample size flash has me leery.

This trio reminds of the 2021 draft. McTavish is similar to Lindstrom (PF, goal scoring centerman), Kent Johnson is similar to Sennecke (most skilled talent in the draft, but a bit too selfish at times), and Demidov is similar to Eklund (electric playmaking forward from across the pond).

All three prospect forwards have some elite skills in them and we would be touting we have an elite skilled forward in the system. But we would regardless since we're picking third. I just know whoever we pick, I will root for their success because it mean Anaheim success.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Definitely like this pick more and more as time has gone on. Before this season we had a glaring hole in the system in terms of wingers with star potential and between Gauthier and Sennecke PV has certainly filled that void this season
Not to mention that we went from Terry as the only legit RW option for 5+ years to (potentially) Sennecke, Terry, Colangelo on the right side. Colangelo might not be anything special, but he could be that big body, crash the net guy that plays with 2 better players and doesn't hold them back.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean if you watch his highlight video you can see why we took him 3rd.

Youd like to see a bit more raw production (points goals assist and what not), but these covid year kids are pretty tough to get a good feel for, specially with a late bloomer that has room to pack on 20+ pounds comfortably to his body.

Im personally excited to follow him next season, and see if he can take a big stride production wise.... and if he can kinda dominate at world juniors.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I mean if you watch his highlight video you can see why we took him 3rd.

Youd like to see a bit more raw production (points goals assist and what not), but these covid year kids are pretty tough to get a good feel for, specially with a late bloomer that has room to pack on 20+ pounds comfortably to his body.

Im personally excited to follow him next season, and see if he can take a big stride production wise.... and if he can kinda dominate at world juniors.
I'm so excited for the trio of Sennecke, Carlsson & Gauthier.
Amazing how the Ducks went from average size average skating Zegras/McTavish to having 3 new guys who have size + speed + skill.

Reactions: Kalv and Tokioduck

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Im preparing for people to be bitching about him and how the Ducks handle him over the next 3 years

He has all the tools and the IQ, but he needs to grow into his body and gain a lot of weight. This truly is a pick that may take 3+ years to really show its worth.
I can see Verbeek giving him the Carlsson plan 2.0 treatment if he is just too good for AHL

Reactions: DuckRogers10

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
He meant that Sennecke could be on the Carlsson load mgmt program. But Sennecke's gonna need a couple of summers or more to fill out.

If I wrote a generic scouting report that included "needs to add some muscle and get stronger" it would probably apply to a ridiculously high number of prospects.

Hmmm ... Let's see ...

____ is a promising prospect. Has good hands, flashes potential for more. Does well in transition. Skating is okay, seems to get to where he needs to, but not rare elite ability, should improve with a little cleaning up of his technique. Hockey sense is good, but often tries to do too much, and some of what he does won't work against NHL defenders, will need to adjust. Makes an effort defensively but still needs some work and coaching there to reach NHL caliber. And he needs to add some muscle and get stronger. Would be a fine projected pick at ___ overall.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If I wrote a generic scouting report that included "needs to add some muscle and get stronger" it would probably apply to a ridiculously high number of prospects.

Hmmm ... Let's see ...

____ is a promising prospect. Has good hands, flashes potential for more. Does well in transition. Skating is okay, seems to get to where he needs to, but not rare elite ability, should improve with a little cleaning up of his technique. Hockey sense is good, but often tries to do too much, and some of what he does won't work against NHL defenders, will need to adjust. Makes an effort defensively but still needs some work and coaching there to reach NHL caliber. And he needs to add some muscle and get stronger. Would be a fine projected pick at ___ overall.

That descriptor set would oft apply to prospects outside of the top-10. Top-5 prospects are usually ahead of the curve physically, mentally, skating, etc... Their more developed physical nature helps them do extra things. Sennecke's growth spurt has allowed him to do extra things in his D+0 season at 6'3 as opposed to his D-1 season at 5'10. His mass is further behind his top-5 peers, which our Asst GM Madden shared with us already.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
That descriptor set would oft apply to prospects outside of the top-10. Top-5 prospects are usually ahead of the curve physically, mentally, skating, etc... Their more developed physical nature helps them do extra things. Sennecke's growth spurt has allowed him to do extra things in his D+0 season at 6'3 as opposed to his D-1 season at 5'10. His mass is further behind his top-5 peers, which our Asst GM Madden shared with us already.

True, but this draft was a bit strange ... good depth of highly talented guys, but more question marks than usual at the top.

Instead of a top 3-5 of drool worthy guys and another half dozen really good prospects, it felt more like we were all picking from a slew players who were typically in the 6-10 range. IMO it was an average year to be picking around 7 or 8, an excellent year to be picking 10-12, and a subpar year to be picking 2 or 3.

No matter who we took this year we were going to be compromising in one regard or other. Silayev, limited offense. Buium, lack of ideal size. Lindstrom, back injury. etc.. If there were a physically developed guy with high end skill and good skating and high IQ and no major issues ... well we still wouldn't have got him cuz he'd have gone a slam dunk 2nd.

Just left the scrimmage. Can I delete my post where I said this was an awful pick?

Sorry but no, in fact we're going to remind you of your post every time he does something good. Eventually we'll track you down and force you to get a tattoo of your quote.

Or you can serve a penance ... go defend him from Habs fans on the prospect board for a day. Then write a haiku touting Sennecke's excellence. On the next full moon a tribunal of elders will convene to determine if you have shown enough sincerity to avoid the shaming and the tattoo.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I’m terrible with this stuff so hopefully I linked the timestamp right. If it didn’t it’s for 1 hour 21 minutes in. Nice little move on Cutter and then snipes it.

Edit: nvm I have no idea what I’m doing. If you want to see it it’s from the Duck my life livestream of the scrimmage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad