Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2024 Draft, the Ducks take Beckett Sennecke

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The resemblance is uncanny:

images
1719695864731.png

Same energy

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Why would Montreal give up a second round pick to secure Demidov when they can just get him for pick 5?

Trading down in a draft only works if you have someone willing to trade up AND you wont lose the player. Columbus and Utah were both in on Sennecke it just wasnt possible to trade back.

Everyone knew before the draft the Ducks were going to draft Sennecke. If the whole world knows that tidbit, then it's impossible to trade down because they'll want to know more about Sennecke and possibly take him instead of their original pick or completely lowball the Ducks.

For the past two drafts, the Ducks pick has been leaked before the draft with Carlsson and Sennecke. This is terrible for the front office and it needs to be fixed/shutdown.

Duckie has it right this time. The ducks absolutely should have been spreading word that they were strongly considering Demidov given the buzz around him. Lindstrom too. Hopefully a team like Montreal (or even Columbus) offers you something to trade up a few spots.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, he has insane hands there’s no doubt.

I’m very interested to see how much he destroys the OHL next season
In his interviews and attitude post pick, seems like hes the kinda kid that wants to make the ducks look like the smartest team in the room picking him.

He puts some muscle on his frame... and he could be a very very nasty pick.

Gauthier Carlsson Sennecke could be 1 hell of a line.

Even spreading out the talent a bit
Zegras McTavish Sennecke could be nice

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
In his interviews and attitude post pick, seems like hes the kinda kid that wants to make the ducks look like the smartest team in the room picking him.

Love that first line. Put him with Leo and Cutter and let the big dogs eat

Reactions: Ducks

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
The vibe I am getting is that this pick was more heavily contested than some of our other high picks.

Usually when the ducks go a different direction than I hoped, I feel way better after hearing the post draft comments. The conviction and confidence in the pick just doesn’t seem to be on the same level.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
More info on Sennecke for you.

Also this report, written pre second half breakout.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

He seems like such a good dude, really like his personality the most out of the Ducks prospects.
The vibe I am getting is that this pick was more heavily contested thqan some of our other high picksa
Usually when the ducks go a different direction than I hoped, I feel way better after hearing the post draft comments. The conviction and confidence in the pick just doesn’t seem to be on the same level.
The Ducks seemed so confident he was their guy they didn't do anymore interviews with him leading up to the draft. The 2021 draft was wide open too, guys like Eklund, , Hughes, Edvinsson, Johnson, Clarke, Guenther were guys they looked at too.

I feel more confident in this pick than when they first picked McTavish at #3. At the time McTavish skating wasn't good and he didn't show much playmaking ability, it looked like they drafted a pure shooter. He was also only 6'1 and later its now seen that he's only 6'0. Cause of Covid it seems they didn't get accurate heights back then.

Then you have Sennecke who can playmake, shoot, skate fast, is about 6'3 (6 275) and could end up at 6'4. The only thing is he's a Winger and not a center like McTavish. Sennecke is still adjusting to his height gain like Edvinsson has, I think Ed was like 6'4 at draft and is now 6'6 which means longer development.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Last year, Pronman said Carlsson was the pick a day before the draft, iirc.

This year a lot of people said we were picking a lot of different players. No matter who we picked someone was going to be right.

Sennecke was the last rumored name right before the draft. But it was Buium not long before that.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
This year a lot of people said we were picking a lot of different players. No matter who we picked someone was going to be right.

Sennecke was the last rumored name right before the draft. But it was Buium not long before that.
Its funny how people complain about Sennecke being a reach when we were linked to Silayev who went 10th and Buium who went 12th. Both of those guys at pick 3 would have been big reaches and there was no way Sennecke was lasting that long.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Reading and watching more about Sennecke I'm definitely warming up to the pick more, as I was feeling a bit indifferent about it at the time. The skill is really high and when he fills out his frame he will be a force to knock off the puck you feel like. Don't really see the hockey IQ issues that have been mentioned in a few reports about him myself, seems a pretty smart player who's certainly good at both ends of the ice.

Not sure I quite see the Perry comparisons just yet, I'd like to see Sennecke use his frame and up the physicality more next season for sure.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Reading and watching more about Sennecke I'm definitely warming up to the pick more, as I was feeling a bit indifferent about it at the time. The skill is really high and when he fills out his frame he will be a force to knock off the puck you feel like. Don't really see the hockey IQ issues that have been mentioned in a few reports about him myself, seems a pretty smart player who's certainly good at both ends of the ice.

Not sure I quite see the Perry comparisons just yet, I'd like to see Sennecke use his frame and up the physicality more next season for sure.
The videos I have seen Sennecke has looked he makes very smart decisions. He has the tools to dangle, to shoot, and to pass and from what I have seen he makes decent decisions when to use which.
I haven't actually noticed his shot much but he certainly can score and has scored

Reactions: Tokioduck

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
I like the pick...

There is definitely more risk than with Demidov, but I think Beckett Sennecke has the most upside (with a realistic shot of obtaining it) of any forward in the draft outside of Cellebrini. I think he skates better and has more length than Demidov already. They have similar puck skills. Demidov is already solidly built. If Sennecke can add 20-30 lbs to his frame, he will just be a monster.

I think there is a good chance that Demidov ends up being the better player, but the Ducks have his talent in the pipeline. I want them to take some risks and try to hit a homerun. I'm glad they chased upside.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I like the pick...

There is definitely more risk than with Demidov, but I think Beckett Sennecke has the most upside (with a realistic shot of obtaining it) of any forward in the draft outside of Cellebrini. I think he skates better and has more length than Demidov already. They have similar puck skills. Demidov is already solidly built. If Sennecke can add 20-30 lbs to his frame, he will just be a monster.

I think there is a good chance that Demidov ends up being the better player, but the Ducks have his talent in the pipeline. I want them to take some risks and try to hit a homerun. I'm glad they chased upside.
I think Demidov will score more points in the NHL, but Sennecke will be a more valuable player in the postseason.

That's the one area of weakness Demidov had, he couldn't figure out how to overcome the physicality and less space/time in MHL finals, how is he going to do it in the NHL playoffs? Obviously he will learn to adapt and use the open ice, teammates. But he might be less effective.

Sennecke will be a guy that other teams will have to figure out how to contain, he will not change a thing, but instead dial it up a notch.

That said, both are very good prospects.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I still feel Lindstrom was the obvious pick. He was given clear health by doctors and already has the toughness and power forward build you are hoping Sennecke develops. I like the player but feel Lindstrom was the safer and most logical pick. Hopefully Sennecke does develop into a skilled power forward Kreider type but it's a question mark

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I still feel Lindstrom was the obvious pick. He was given clear health by doctors and already has the toughness and power forward build you are hoping Sennecke develops. I like the player but feel Lindstrom was the safer and most logical pick. Hopefully Sennecke does develop into a skilled power forward Kreider type but it's a question mark
I thought it was interesting, someone brought Sennecke's last half of season point totals and compared them to Lindstrom's and I think he had a better point total over a similar sample.

That and the playoffs he had speak for the pick over Lindstrom. I also thought we needed Lindstrom more but this guy was the next best thing IMO. We were never in on Demidov. Same thing with the later first, regarding Surin and Solberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad