Prospect Info: With the 23rd overall pick in the 2024 Draft, the Ducks take Stian Solberg!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The best part about that team is when they would lose or get blown out they would "goon it up" to make the other team pay a price and show that type of identity to the rest of the league. Never took losing like this current crop

I remember a couple years ago, an opposing player made a comment to the effect of " no one is afraid to go into Anaheim anymore" which implied that they definitely were for a time. Bringing in Gudas was a big step in the right direction, but this team needs to continue adding more guys who are difficult to play against. So that even on those nights where your group is a bit disjointed, you have guys going out there and disjointing the other team. Pumped to get this throwback Dman in the system and soon in the lineup

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I remember a couple years ago, an opposing player made a comment to the effect of " no one is afraid to go into Anaheim anymore" which implied that they definitely were for a time. Bringing in Gudas was a big step in the right direction, but this team needs to continue adding more guys who are difficult to play against. So that even on those nights where your group is a bit disjointed, you have guys going out there and disjointing the other team. Pumped to get this throwback Dman in the system and soon in the lineup
That's my issue with Verbeek he created this culture. Even when he trades a tough player he replaced them with Meyer types ie Carrick

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
That's my issue with Verbeek he created this culture. Even when he trades a tough player he replaced them with Meyer types ie Carrick
It’s interesting that you correlate us being soft for a year or two into Verbeek wanting a soft team permanently.

It looks like a take that’s going to age poorly based on who they are drafting and acquiring recently

Seems to me that Verbeek wants a big, skilled, hard to play against team

Verbeek inherited a mess. The ducks were bad, lacked depth, had almost zero elite young talent when he took over. You weren’t pleased with Murray’s last 3-4 years (no one was) so it’s weird to berate Verbeek over not immediately having the identity in tact in his first 2 years as GM. Those things take time

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
It looks like a take that’s going to age poorly based on who they are drafting and acquiring recently

Agree, Ducks have drafted the biggest and meanest average of prospects bar none.

Despite them having close to 20 picks in 2 years, there's no easy to play against guys, zero. Dionicio (100PIMs), Port, Blais and Sidorov (66 PIMs) are the model citizens and while they aren't going to scare anyone, they compete. Blais is also the only sub 6 footer.

Not the most physical but big guys, who actually all use their size, and they hit and compete to agitating lengths: Carlsson, Myatovic, Masse, Sennecke

The downright mean guys: Solberg, Konnor Smith, Procyszyn

And the ultimate competitors, will finish hits and play in their opponents face: Terrance, Pettersson, Pitre, Tarin Smith

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
It’s interesting that you correlate us being soft for a year or two into Verbeek wanting a soft team permanently.

Verbeek inherited a mess. The ducks were bad, lacked depth, had almost zero elite young talent when he took over. You weren’t pleased with Murray’s last 3-4 years (no one was) so it’s weird to berate Verbeek over not immediately having the identity in tact in his first 2 years as GM. Those things take time
I'm sure his preference would be for us to be big bad bruisers languishing in the basement of the league rather than being small and skilled while winning a Cup.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Dummy noone said Madden is the final say but it's possible he laid a convincing case to draft him to Verbeek given later he was fist pumping after the pick. Like I said it points to a Madden pick.
Keep creating these hilarious narratives, that have no basis in reality, that you think somehow make better your previous hilarious takes. If you're trying to convince yourself hopefully it's working, because you're not convincing almost anyone else.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I read some places that he was compared to Gudas, I would rather put him in the area between Niklas Kronwall and Brad Stuart, where he is closer to Stuart now, but can move closer towards Kronwall type quality, and wouldn't be surprised if the Ducks fans would be able to chant you got Solberg'd in the same way Detroit-fans chanted you got Kronwalled.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I read some places that he was compared to Gudas, I would rather put him in the area between Niklas Kronwall and Brad Stuart, where he is closer to Stuart now, but can move closer towards Kronwall type quality, and wouldn't be surprised if the Ducks fans would be able to chant you got Solberg'd in the same way Detroit-fans chanted you got Kronwalled.
Kronwall is exactly who I thought of as well, because I think Solberg is quite a bit better than Gudas.

While Gudas can lay big hits, I think Solberg does it more in a way that helps his team and not because he just wants to be physical. Just a bit smarter, bit more skilled, bit more vision. But for him to inherit the mantle of Butcher, he still has to show the NHL that he's mean and quite a few "big bad guys" fail to do just that.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Hopefully he will be more like Gudas in the sense he will actually drop the gloves when needed like Gudas, Trouba etc
Kronwall was a great player who never answered for his hits nor never dropped the gloves defending a teammate. The Defense definitely needs that element in its physical players especially with the RD being smaller side.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I call male cow manure the Ducks under Murray "had almost zero elite young talent".

2021 Farm team ranking U23, Feb (pre-2021 draft) by Wheeler: 7th.
2021 Farm team ranking, July by Dobber Prospects: 7th.

In 2021-22 season, (in the NHL)
- RW Troy Terry broke out for 37g + 30a in 75 games, 1st in team scoring.
- C Zegras' rookie season with 23g + 38a in 75 games, 2nd in team scoring.
- RD Drysdale's rookie season with 4g + 28a in 81 games, 8th in team scoring.
- G Lukas "no name" Dostal posted well at the AHL and NHL levels.
AHL: 40 games, 0.916 Sv%, and 2.60 GAA​
NHL: 4 games, 0.907 Sv%, and 2.98 GAA​

2021 draft picks seasons
- C McTavish: Won OHL championship, Captained Canada to WJC-20 Gold, WJC-20 MVP, WJC-20 Best Forward, WJC-20 Most Points, and WJC-20 All-Star
- LD Zellweger: CHL Defenseman of the Year (DoY), WHL DoY, WJC-20 Gold

Drysdale's talent helped facilitate a trade to acquire LW Cutter Gauthier.

Did Verbeek inherit a mess?

When Verbeek took over, the Ducks were 3rd in the Pacific during all-star break. When Mason got traded, they were 6th in the Pacific, but only 4 points away from a playoff spot. That was with Manson missing 12 consecutive games on IR since the all-star break.

Here is a quote by Verbeek after he was hired by the Ducks from Detroit News:

"This team doesn't need to be rebuilt; they're in the middle of their rebuild, so this is a great opportunity to take this team forward and turn them into a contender," Verbeek said during his introductory press conference. "You don't have to come in there and look to take a long time. There's good players in the NHL, good players in the minors and there are players that have been drafted. There's a lot coming to support the growth of this team. That's truly what I'm excited about."

Verbeek created his own mess with blowing up the team at the TDL.

tbf, you're looking at this in hindsight. Verbeek gutted our physicality at the 2021-22 TDL by trading away Lindholm, Manson, and Des. Then Terry got his ass beat down after the TDL. In case you forgot, here's Terry after the beat down.

9wop5l3u16r81.jpg

In the ensuing off-season, Verbeek didn't replace those physical players he traded and said the team needed a "pack mentality". That was Verbeek's response after seeing his top scorer get beaten down to a pulp b/c we had no physical players. Can't blame any fan for losing faith in Verbeek with respect to physical players. Just look at Terry's mug again.

Also, thank goodness that Klingberg didn't accept the multi-year deal Verbeek offered him and betted on himself with a one-year, $7 mil deal. Otherwise, we'd be so much softer on the blue line for a few years.

I'm happy that Verbeek is able to learn from his mistake, albeit a year later, by adding some physicality to the team with Gudas and gentle giant Johnston this past season. We need more Gudas than Johnston, though. Also, I'm still waiting on Mac to channel his WJC, NL-A, and D+1 OHL physicality at the NHL level b/c he's been very tepid in unleashing that type of game so far. Drafting Solberg ensures we have someone who loves the physical game because Gudas has only 2 years left on his contract.

• Haha
Reactions: AngelDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Kronwall is exactly who I thought of as well, because I think Solberg is quite a bit better than Gudas.

While Gudas can lay big hits, I think Solberg does it more in a way that helps his team and not because he just wants to be physical. Just a bit smarter, bit more skilled, bit more vision. But for him to inherit the mantle of Butcher, he still has to show the NHL that he's mean and quite a few "big bad guys" fail to do just that.

Solberg... the Norwegian Nightmare!

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I call male cow manure the Ducks under Murray "had almost zero elite young talent".

2021 draft picks seasons
- C McTavish: Won OHL championship, Captained Canada to WJC-20 Gold, WJC-20 MVP, WJC-20 Best Forward, WJC-20 Most Points, and WJC-20 All-Star

When Verbeek took over, the Ducks were 3rd in the Pacific during all-star break. When Mason got traded, they were 6th in the Pacific, but only 4 points away from a playoff spot. That was with Manson missing 12 consecutive games on IR since the all-star break.

"This team doesn't need to be rebuilt; they're in the middle of their rebuild, so this is a great opportunity to take this team forward and turn them into a contender," Verbeek said during his introductory press conference. "You don't have to come in there and look to take a long time. There's good players in the NHL, good players in the minors and there are players that have been drafted. There's a lot coming to support the growth of this team. That's truly what I'm excited about."

tbf, you're looking at this in hindsight. Verbeek gutted our physicality at the 2021-22 TDL by trading away Lindholm, Manson, and Des. Then Terry got his ass beat down after the TDL. In case you forgot, here's Terry after the beat down.

9wop5l3u16r81.jpg

In the ensuing off-season, Verbeek didn't replace those physical players he traded and said the team needed a "pack mentality". That was Verbeek's response after seeing his top scorer get beaten down to a pulp b/c we had no physical players. Can't blame any fan for losing faith in Verbeek with respect to physical players. Just look at Terry's mug again.

Also, thank goodness that Klingberg didn't accept the multi-year deal Verbeek offered him and betted on himself with a one-year, $7 mil deal. Otherwise, we'd be so much softer on the blue line for a few years.

I'm happy that Verbeek is able to learn from his mistake, albeit a year later, by adding some physicality to the team with Gudas and gentle giant Johnston this past season. We need more Gudas than Johnston, though. Also, I'm still waiting on Mac to channel his WJC, NL-A, and D+1 OHL physicality at the NHL level b/c he's been very tepid in unleashing that type of game so far. Drafting Solberg ensures we have someone who loves the physical game because Gudas has only 2 years left on his contract.
Gudas is aging undersized and has no help in that department. He's expected to do much
Johnston is the only forward with toughness as Carrick got replaced by Ben Meyers. We'll see how this off-season goes but huge holes still there

BringBackTheIceman

Mar 24, 2013

2021 draft picks seasons

9wop5l3u16r81.jpg

Yeah man re-signing Lindholm, Manson, Rakell, and Des would've been super cool and we definitely wouldn't have been in Minnesota Wild purgatory for the next 7 years

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If we're going to be the most penalized team in the league we may as well earn those PIMS
Yep earn the PIMs for being physical instead of those Zegras style PIMs that don't do any damage to the other team. The Refs just hate the Ducks and will call them for a set minimum number of interference/holding penaltys and they might as well have it be for hitting hard lol.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Nice work on getting Solberg, described by EliteProspects as the most violent man in the draft. I think I need to become a Ducks fan.
Welcome! We have a ridiculous group of young kids. Going to be a fun 10+ years.

The best part about that team is when they would lose or get blown out they would "goon it up" to make the other team pay a price and show that type of identity to the rest of the league. Never took losing like this current crop
Agreed. And we were great at coming from behind in games.

Reactions: Ori and Webster

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Gudas is aging undersized and has no help in that department. He's expected to do much
Johnston is the only forward with toughness as Carrick got replaced by Ben Meyers. We'll see how this off-season goes but huge holes still there
I blame Meyers on Cronin. Cronin had coached him with the Colorado Eagles and probably thought that he could do something at the NHL level. Surprise, and not a good surprise. Paying a 5th round pick, which is worth almost nothing, was still too much. The good news is that Meyers is a group VI free agent, so hopefully we have seen the last of him in a Ducks jersey.

Carrick was useful, but won't we don't know is if Edmonton would have given a first just for Henrique, or if they insisted on Carrick as well. Verbeek wanted that first round pick, so giving up Carrick in addition to Henrique to get it, if that was required, was worth it to Verbeek. Since that pick has eventually turned into Solberg that may make everyone happy with a physical, competent defenseman.

We now wait for the results of both Free Agency and qualifying offers. That will help me evaluate the summer work of Verbeek. I am hoping from Free Agency for a physical defenseman, a top six right wing, and a couple of physical bottom six forwards who can score now and then. I am not certain what I want from qualifying offers, but the decision on who to retain will impact how many free agents that Verbeek brings on board.

Reactions: Dirk316 and Deuce22

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Not able to draft Solberg unless Verbeek shipped out Henrique and Carrick. Rather have the prospect than a meaningless end of season with those two.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How much fighting do you think actually happens in todays NHL?

The finals had exactly 0 enforcers in the line ups, carrick was on the oilers... didnt suit up in the finals.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway

Solberg is a little bigger than both those guys. Gudas is just a block, while Kronwall had more skillset to the point he was a light 1st pair d-man at his best,, though best utilized as a 3rd defenseman who could play 2nd and ended up playing 1st which was a bit above his quality.

But, yes more physicality included in the gameplay instead of physicality just for physicality's sake.

Hopefully he will be more like Gudas in the sense he will actually drop the gloves when needed like Gudas, Trouba etc
Kronwall was a great player who never answered for his hits nor never dropped the gloves defending a teammate. The Defense definitely needs that element in its physical players especially with the RD being smaller side.

He probably will early on drop them at times.
There was no reason towards why Kronwall should drop the gloves except for a few times. The absolute majority of his hits were clean and no need for it.
Also towards the later half of his mean hits streak he had previous injuries that made it so he couldn't fight even if he'd want to. Just too much of a risk, it shouldn't deter him for playing within the rules. If you have your head down, then tough luck, you knew he was going to be there and lay the hits if you' "cheated".

I believe Solberg might lay a little less absolute killer hits, but more regular solid ones as part of his play.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Solberg is a little bigger than both those guys. Gudas is just a block, while Kronwall had more skillset to the point he was a light 1st pair d-man at his best,, though best utilized as a 3rd defenseman who could play 2nd and ended up playing 1st which was a bit above his quality.

But, yes more physicality included in the gameplay instead of physicality just for physicality's sake.

He probably will early on drop them at times.
There was no reason towards why Kronwall should drop the gloves except for a few times. The absolute majority of his hits were clean and no need for it.
Also towards the later half of his mean hits streak he had previous injuries that made it so he couldn't fight even if he'd want to. Just too much of a risk, it shouldn't deter him for playing within the rules. If you have your head down, then tough luck, you knew he was going to be there and lay the hits if you' "cheated".

I believe Solberg might lay a little less absolute killer hits, but more regular solid ones as part of his play.
Dont mind dirk... he thinks hockey is UFC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad