Prospect Info: with 110th pick ( from MN for Lauko) Bruins select Elliott Groenewold

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Last edited:

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
So was Lauko that bad or is Groenewold that good that we moved up? Hmmm. It was only a 12 spot move up in the 4th round and cost a guy who was on the roster last season.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So was Lauko that bad or is Groenewold that good that we moved up? Hmmm. It was only a 12 spot move up in the 4th round and cost a guy who was on the roster last season.

Lauko is a depth NHL forward, I have no doubt Sweeney shopped him all day and this was the best deal he was offered. If he held out a bit longer maybe he could have gotten a 6th or 7thround pick for him straight up, but the fourth round pick swap is more valuable

Reactions: vjcsmoke

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I'm going to miss Lauko. I just liked his whole personality and vibe more than his on ice play. It was clear last year Monty wasn't high on Lauko and we have enough bottom 6 guys around for him not to be missed. Who knows, maybe they still sign Maroon now.

The D prospect looks good. Fits the mold. Can't complain. Apparently he's a Bruins fan so I guess that's good.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
In Redline's mid round sleepers
"Unheralded two way defender has good size and skating ability and plays with plenty of bite"

They also ranked him #159
" he's flying so far under the radar he's skimming the tree tops"

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good stuff here

Attachments

• IMG_7063.jpeg
    IMG_7063.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: BruinDust

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

After selecting forward Dean Letourneau in the first round of the NHL Draft in Las Vegas, the Bruins traded center Jakub Lauko and their fourth-round pick (No. 122) to Minnesota to move up to No. 110 and secure defenseman Elliott Groenewold.
Groenewold was a player the Bruins wanted, according to director of amateur scouting Ryan Nadeau.
“Groenewold had a huge jump from Bishop’s College. Quick transition to the USHL at Cedar [Rapids] and then right to Quinnipiac next year. That’s a pretty quick timeline,” Nadeau said after the draft. “Looking at [the] upward trajectory of these players, when you take all of the strides that they made in the last year or two, they’ve all sort of got a development trend that we tend to believe in.”
Now, they’re getting to work.

“It’s been a wild week, being out in Vegas with the draft, and then right after hitting Boston, it’s been a lot of emotions, but they’ve all been really positive,” Groenewold said Tuesday.

Players have completed two days of the four-day camp, which were both split sessions for forwards and defensemen, plus two goalies in each group. Wednesday, they’ll move to full-group on-ice work, with some scrimmage play Thursday.

Groenewold said he feels one of his biggest strengths is his skating, and his speed was clear Tuesday morning. The defensemen moved through different blocking and shooting drills, before working on more technical aspects of skating such as blade angles and directional changes.

“I really take pride in playing defense and working in the zone,” he said.

As Groenewold moved through drills, his focus and intelligence made the 18-year-old stand out.

Growing up in Bellows Falls, Vt., just north of Brattleboro, Groenewold has always been a Bruins fan. He tries to model his game after Hampus Lindholm, because of his physicality and effort in the defensive zone, as well as his ability to contribute on offense.

“It’s always good when you model your game after a real solid NHL player like that,” Nadeau said. “He’s got a frame, he’s got good feet. He likes to play, likes the impact, he likes to get up the ice, he can play [with an] aggressive style, and puck play is pretty good.”

After the draft, Groenewold pointed out specific aspects of his game he’s looking to improve: “I would say my puck touches, and just my hands all over the ice. I think I can [become] pretty good in that area. And I’m working on the off-ice stuff. I think I can take my game to the next level and add a little bit of an offensive touch to my game.”

Fresh off a 16-point (five goals, 11 assists) season with the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, Groenewold is committed to play for 2023 national champion Quinnipiac, and will head to Hamden, Conn., in the fall to continue honing his skills.

Groenewold and Johansson took extra time to listen to feedback from coaches and older prospects such as Jackson Edward. Groenewold and Johansson were two of the last to leave the ice, as Groenewold took shots with Frederic Brunet, and Johansson and Ty Gallagher spoke with coaches.

“The growth our guys have seen in his game from last year to this year, [he’s] more assertive,” Nadeau said of Johansson. “Play with the puck has improved while continuing to defend hard, and all that physical growth, as well. It feels like every time we meet him, he’s taller, he’s bigger. We’re just banking on the upward trajectory here.”

Off the ice, the organization is emphasizing to prospects the importance of the city and the organization. Prospects saw some of the sights on Monday afternoon, including taking a duck boat tour.

“It’s a great opportunity for the guys to get to know us, and for us to get to know them, and mainly understand what the Bruins mean to the city and understand the history,” said Adam McQuaid, player development coordinator. “That’s, you know, a major piece of this, building that relationship [with the city].”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad