Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Barring any more injuries, we now know pretty much the roster we will have for the opening game. We even know pretty much what the lineup for that game will be. Only Kupari and Fleury are a little uncertain.

How do people really feel about this team for the regular season? PO is a separate discussion, as we have seen the last couple of years.

I look back at a 4th place finish, and at having flirted with 1st OA for a while and feel some optimism. But then I think of losing Brossoit and Dillon. That could = the loss of 10 games compared to last year, especially if Helle is even slightly less than Vezina calibre. 10 fewer wins gives us 90 pts. That misses the PO.

So ceiling of President's Trophy and floor of high draft pick. And I really don't know where to predict on that scale. I guess cautious optimism for the time being.

I see us in around 98 points plus or minus a couple.

I think we are a 3-4 team in our division unless we get a couple younger guys going off in Cole, Vilardi etc.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If I had a bit more talent I would get a prediction thread (poll) started now that we are ready to get our season started. Not sure how to do polls though.

My poll categories would be (106 points or greater, 100-105, 93-99, sub 93). If someone would insert a poll I would start the thread.

Done.

Reactions: ps241

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Just an observation, but I was looking at the Jets' opening day roster and I have to ask, is there any other team in the league that has it this bad?

How the Jets were built:

Drafted (9) – Connor, Ehlers, Gustafsson, Hellebuyck, Lowry, Morrissey, Perfetti, Samberg, Scheifele

Trade (11) – Appleton, Barron, Coghlan, DeMelo, Iafallo, Kupari, Miller, Namestnikov, Niederreiter, Pionk, Vilardi

Free Agency (3) – Comrie, Fleury, Kahkonen

Our free agent signings consist of a couple of backup goalies and a third pair defenseman.

I realize that the Jets will always be minnows in the FA pool, but holy moly there is only so much magic that Chevy can pull off.

Reactions: oldunclehue

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just an observation, but I was looking at the Jets' opening day roster and I have to ask, is there any other team in the league that has it this bad?

Our free agent signings consist of a couple of backup goalies and a third pair defenseman.

I realize that the Jets will always be minnows in the FA pool, but holy moly there is only so much magic that Chevy can pull off.

Is there any other team in the league that has it this good?

OK, that's a bit facetious. But not signing FAs is not the bad thing you are implying it is. FAs tend to be on the down side of their careers. They tend to be way overpaid. The pool contains more than its share of malcontents.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Is there any other team in the league that has it this good?

OK, that's a bit facetious. But not signing FAs is not the bad thing you are implying it is. FAs tend to be on the down side of their careers. They tend to be way overpaid. The pool contains more than its share of malcontents.

Not saying there aren't downsides. But look at the Oilers roster, for example... I mean, they can keep Kane but their FA signings bring a fair amount of depth, skill and leadership to that team.

What kind of difference would it make to the Jets if someone on the level of, say, Zach Hyman opted to come here without having to give up something major in return? It's hard not to be a little envious.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Not saying there aren't downsides. But look at the Oilers roster, for example... I mean, they can keep Kane but their FA signings bring a fair amount of depth, skill and leadership to that team.

What kind of difference would it make to the Jets if someone on the level of, say, Zach Hyman opted to come here without having to give up something major in return? It's hard not to be a little envious.

UFAs are usually late in their careers and HFJets is more a fan of players still in high school.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Edmonton has the McDavid advantage. Players want to go there to boost their stats and have a chance at the Cup. If McDavid were a Jet I wouldn't be surprised if Hyman was someone who would come here. Edmonton is usually 2nd on the list of most appearances on NTC lists but not anymore that they're a Cup contender with 2 of the best 3 or 4 players in the league.

Reactions: Buffdog and surixon

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Edmonton has the McDavid advantage. Players want to go there to boost their stats and have a chance at the Cup. If McDavid were a Jet I wouldn't be surprised if Hyman was someone who would come here. Edmonton is usually 2nd on the list of most appearances on NTC lists but not anymore that they're a Cup contender with 2 of the best 3 or 4 players in the league.

Yeah, I realize that Edmonton has a huge ace in the hole. But even when the Jets were firmly in their contender window from 2017-19 it didn't seem to pay off in terms of getting FAs to help keep that window open.

Who knows, maybe Jokinen put Chevy off any more big free agent signings... 😝

Reactions: macmaroon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You've got 1 good FA signing in Edm. Along with him you have to take any bad ones they signed. It balances out.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah, I realize that Edmonton has a huge ace in the hole. But even when the Jets were firmly in their contender window from 2017-19 it didn't seem to pay off in terms of getting FAs to help keep that window open.

That contender window was very short lived. The 2017-18 season bucked expectations, the team didn't even make the playoffs the year before. Plus the superstar is in net, not scoring 130 points on the 1st line. Edmonton still needed some years of consistency in the playoffs to get some of these names.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010

I denounced the Jets a couple seasons ago and have kept to it, although I still like seeing the team have success. But I have to agree with you in the fact that no other team has it as bad as this for opening roster excitement. Can anyone name something about this team that will actually put butts in seats in mass for the year. Arniel is a dud, the roster has gotten worse, not better and fans have become indifferent over the past few years. This could lead to some dismal crowds.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I consider Demelo, Nino and Names as free agent signings. Pionk too (for better or worse)

Sure, we traded for them but they decided to re-sign with UFA status pending

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad