Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The truth of the matter is that over the next number of years the Jets will likely need a number of their young players to be able to play C. Whether full time or part time it will be needed as injuries happen and our two most important C are on the wrong side of 30 and there is no telling when either or both play could really drop off. Hopefully it won't be for a while but it's not a given that they will be able to maintain strong at through their mid 30's.
I'd say they are still on the right side of 30. 34 was the dropoff age for Wheeler. But it will come sooner than later. Lambert, Yager, Zhilkin and Julien could be your centers by that point.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I keep hearing talk of how its "basically the same roster" whenever the media asks the players about the upcoming season and expectations, and sometimes they bring up missing Dillon, but nobody has really talked about the loss of Brossoit lately.

Just switching from Bro (927 sv% over 23 games) to Kahkonen (898 sv% over half a season) is potentially a huge problem compared to last season. Granted its a luxury having a 1B goalie as your backup to a perennial Vezina candidate, and Kahkonen played on some bad teams for a good chunk of games, but the difference between a 927 and even a 910 is like 15 goals over a third of a season, or enough to chalk up 5-6 more losses in what were previously close game Ws.

This training camp is going to be more interesting than usual with seeing how the backup G battle shakes out, and come down to how well the young guys step in to fill spots, otherwise we could be looking at a significant step back this season that not a lot of people see coming. Throw in Arnie and a new coaching staff and I think expectations might be a bit overzealous.
i think most teams or fans are accustomed to the back-up goaltender usually being a turnstile of guys over the years. & usually they're up and down. brossoit coming into last year never had a b2b 0.900+ SV% season for example. even the first time Brossoit signed in 18-19 - the year prior he had a 0.883 sv% back when the league average was 0.908. he posted a 0.925 for the Jets (and fell below 0.900 the following year).

looking at Kahkonen, i think him putting up a 0.898 (which was league average last year) on one of the all-time worst teams shows perhaps some semblance of potential. his non-Sharks years iirc he was ~0.908 which was Brossoit's career sv% coming into last year.

the back-up is playing 20ish games here & almost never in the POs so i think that's why they do not really talk about the loss of a back-up goalie.

at the end of the day, they lost 2 "every-day" players, 1 being a third pair D which is lower on a team's importance and replaced with Colin Miller who the analytics guys usually like. I don't like the loss of Dillon, however, Samberg has played high level in a 3rd pair role & i think it'd behoove the team to see if he has top-4 potential. I think he can have similar results to Dillon, although may not be similar traits to him (ie: the toughness or physicality) but we will have to wait and see.

all in all though, i think given the usual cap crunch teams face each year and whatnot, id lean towards the Jets having v minimal turnover compared to their team to start 23-24

Last edited:
Reactions: ERYX

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
LETS GO JETS!!! new season, hope the team makes it pass the first round this time :)

Forward group looking good
goalie nahhhh :sarcasm:

Priority is a Defenseman, i think Jets needs a couple high end pieces here. Hopefully Samberg steps up his game to another level. And the Heinola , would be good on the Power PLAY?

Reactions: ERYX

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
LETS GO JETS!!! new season, hope the team makes it pass the first round this time :)

Forward group looking good
goalie nahhhh :sarcasm:

Priority is a Defenseman, i think Jets needs a couple high end pieces here. Hopefully Samberg steps up his game to another level. And the Heinola , would be good on the Power PLAY?
Love the positivity.

I'd consider making it past the first round of the playoffs a successful season. We'll see what happens ... I'm not excited or getting hopes up at all, just going to take and enjoy games as they come the year. If the Jets poop the bed in the first round again (or don't even make it), meh. If they get past the first round that's gravy.

Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad