Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And yet he did develop in the WHL weird. And his dad is from Saskatchewan.
Yeah in his D+1 season. In countries with well developed developmental systems virtually all players develop in their country of origin until they are drafted into the NHL. After all we are talking about 16 - 17 year old kids. All these countries have really well established developmental systems and it is a bit of a fools errand to say one is better than the rest since player success suggests there is no right or wrong path to the NHL for the top prospects.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah in his D+1 season. In countries with well developed developmental systems virtually all players develop in their country of origin until they are drafted into the NHL. After all we are talking about 16 - 17 year old kids. All these countries have really well established developmental systems and it is a bit of a fools errand to say one is better than the rest since player success suggests there is no right or wrong path to the NHL for the top prospects.
You said Finns don't develop in the CHL when he the half Canadian did. I don't know why you are talking about Finland's developmental systems when he refused to play in Finlands developmental system.

I think I've explained everything to you. You're just going in circles. I'm not sure what your point is anymore.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You said Finns don't develop in the CHL when he the half Canadian did. I don't know why you are talking about Finland's developmental systems when he refused to play in Finlands developmental system.

I think I've explained everything to you. You're just going in circles. I'm not sure what your point is anymore.
And I think you are the one going in circles. He may be 1/2 Canadian but he grew up as a Fin and played virtually all his hockey there. He didn't refuse to play in the Fins developmental system he followed the almost exact path of all their top prospects. Maybe you should examine what your point is?

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
And I think you are the one going in circles. He may be 1/2 Canadian but he grew up as a Fin and played virtually all his hockey there. He didn't refuse to play in the Fins developmental system he followed the almost exact path of all their top prospects. Maybe you should examine what your point is?
The same point it has been from the beginning. Liiga was bad for him. I never said I had a problem with him playing u20 in Finland. All i did was point out that the absolutely legitimate option of the CHL was there. The Finn system told him he should be in U20. He isn't Barkov I don't know why you think he is like him or any of these other All Stars.

Playing Liiga caused him to drop almost a full round in the draft and had him riding pine in WJC and some how you think that's good. We can all have our points of view.

I don't know if repeating myself is going to help when it didn't take the first few times. But there it is.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The same point it has been from the beginning. Liiga was bad for him. I never said I had a problem with him playing u20 in Finland. All i did was point out that the absolutely legitimate option of the CHL was there. The Finn system told him he should be in U20. He isn't Barkov I don't know why you think he is like him or any of these other All Stars.

Playing Liiga caused him to drop almost a full round in the draft and had him riding pine in WJC and some how you think that's good. We can all have our points of view.

I don't know if repeating myself is going to help when it didn't take the first few times. But there it is.
I think we are finding a middle ground. But the question is why Liiga wasn't a good option for him since he was such a highly regarded prospect going into his draft year? Most top European draft prospects in his draft - 1 positions excel in similar situations? Why would Lambert's camp not also expect this to be the case for him as well?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think we are finding a middle ground. But the question is why Liiga wasn't a good option for him since he was such a highly regarded prospect going into his draft year? Most top European draft prospects in his draft - 1 positions excel in similar situations? Why would Lambert's camp not also expect this to be the case for him as well?
I think it depends on both physical and mental/emotional maturity. That will vary prospect by prospect

I find it hard to imagine being a 16 or 17 year old kid in a dressing room full of grown men. There's such a huge gap in maturity

I think one of the reasons Lambert flourished in the WHL was because he finally got to be a kid around other kids

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Cole payed his draft year almost exclusively as a winger

We have Lambert as 2C moving forward, and Names this year if he isn't ready. With schief and Lowry, C is getting crowded. Yager is also a natural C who is 2 or 3 years away

With the rutger trade and ehlers having one year left (and Connor 2), it's very possible that there will be a lack of top 6 wingers in the near future. And Cole is an excellent winger
Actually that’s not true at all. Cole played centre almost exclusivley until January when the Spirit traded for Suzuki and the coach put them together to form a power line. On that line Suzuki took most of the draws but they played a hybrid system where whoever was back first or was low was the centre. They read off each other.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Cole payed his draft year almost exclusively as a winger

We have Lambert as 2C moving forward, and Names this year if he isn't ready. With schief and Lowry, C is getting crowded. Yager is also a natural C who is 2 or 3 years away

With the rutger trade and ehlers having one year left (and Connor 2), it's very possible that there will be a lack of top 6 wingers in the near future. And Cole is an excellent winger

The same people who are pushing Perfetti as a C are also pushing Lambert and Yager as C. Names is a placeholder until one or more of the others claim the job. There are some who see Perfetti as a very good C.

It remains to be seen whether Perfetti is given a chance at the job or whether the Jets have pivoted to Lambert/Yager there. None of the 3 have won the spot yet.

Reactions: surixon

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Actually that’s not true at all. Cole played centre almost exclusivley until January when the Spirit traded for Suzuki and the coach put them together to form a power line. On that line Suzuki took most of the draws but they played a hybrid system where whoever was back first or was low was the centre. They read off each other.
Then it's partially true. I remembered hearing that he played wing during his draft year, and you've reminded me that it was only after they traded for Suzuki

Most teams play F1/F2/F3 in the D- zone now... the first forward back is F1 and helps down low. It's been like that for quite a while

Reactions: NA Hockey

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The truth of the matter is that over the next number of years the Jets will likely need a number of their young players to be able to play C. Whether full time or part time it will be needed as injuries happen and our two most important C are on the wrong side of 30 and there is no telling when either or both play could really drop off. Hopefully it won't be for a while but it's not a given that they will be able to maintain strong at through their mid 30's.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
The truth of the matter is that over the next number of years the Jets will likely need a number of their young players to be able to play C. Whether full time or part time it will be needed as injuries happen and our two most important C are on the wrong side of 30 and there is no telling when either or both play could really drop off. Hopefully it won't be for a while but it's not a given that they will be able to maintain strong at through their mid 30's.

Exactly.

One of the 3 is going to have to put it together. Yager seems to play a refreshingly complete game, so does Perfetti, and Lambert has the speed and increasingly the awareness and can be an absolute puckhound.

All three have played centre for much if not most f their careers, as most elite forward prospects do. And one or more of the three will be relied on going forward as, at least, pinch-centres.

Sure, it would be great if the Jets' pipeline was full of 1a/ 1b "natural' centres -- but it ain't, so they either need to develop them, or trade substantial assets for them.

The first option is obviously more efficient. The players can and will audition, but as always a lot will depend on the coaching staff, who have not always shown much patience with young players developing into the role.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think it depends on both physical and mental/emotional maturity. That will vary prospect by prospect

I find it hard to imagine being a 16 or 17 year old kid in a dressing room full of grown men. There's such a huge gap in maturity

I think one of the reasons Lambert flourished in the WHL was because he finally got to be a kid around other kids
He also played on some pretty bad low-scoring teams in Finland

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
I keep hearing talk of how its "basically the same roster" whenever the media asks the players about the upcoming season and expectations, and sometimes they bring up missing Dillon, but nobody has really talked about the loss of Brossoit lately.

Just switching from Bro (927 sv% over 23 games) to Kahkonen (898 sv% over half a season) is potentially a huge problem compared to last season. Granted its a luxury having a 1B goalie as your backup to a perennial Vezina candidate, and Kahkonen played on some bad teams for a good chunk of games, but the difference between a 927 and even a 910 is like 15 goals over a third of a season, or enough to chalk up 5-6 more losses in what were previously close game Ws.

This training camp is going to be more interesting than usual with seeing how the backup G battle shakes out, and come down to how well the young guys step in to fill spots, otherwise we could be looking at a significant step back this season that not a lot of people see coming. Throw in Arnie and a new coaching staff and I think expectations might be a bit overzealous.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Hey fellas! Long time listener, first time caller…

I’m hoping this year brings us some movement (literally) on the PP and the infusion of some youth up front and at the back end.

Looking forward to taking in the season with some fellow Jets fans!
Welcome to HFJets @Bender Duster!

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I keep hearing talk of how its "basically the same roster" whenever the media asks the players about the upcoming season and expectations, and sometimes they bring up missing Dillon, but nobody has really talked about the loss of Brossoit lately.

Just switching from Bro (927 sv% over 23 games) to Kahkonen (898 sv% over half a season) is potentially a huge problem compared to last season. Granted its a luxury having a 1B goalie as your backup to a perennial Vezina candidate, and Kahkonen played on some bad teams for a good chunk of games, but the difference between a 927 and even a 910 is like 15 goals over a third of a season, or enough to chalk up 5-6 more losses in what were previously close game Ws.

This training camp is going to be more interesting than usual with seeing how the backup G battle shakes out, and come down to how well the young guys step in to fill spots, otherwise we could be looking at a significant step back this season that not a lot of people see coming. Throw in Arnie and a new coaching staff and I think expectations might be a bit overzealous.
Big brossoit fan but rittich had basically the same record last year so pretty hard to tell with backups..

Reactions: Jets

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Exactly.

One of the 3 is going to have to put it together. Yager seems to play a refreshingly complete game, so does Perfetti, and Lambert has the speed and increasingly the awareness and can be an absolute puckhound.

All three have played centre for much if not most f their careers, as most elite forward prospects do. And one or more of the three will be relied on going forward as, at least, pinch-centres.

Sure, it would be great if the Jets' pipeline was full of 1a/ 1b "natural' centres -- but it ain't, so they either need to develop them, or trade substantial assets for them.

The first option is obviously more efficient. The players can and will audition, but as always a lot will depend on the coaching staff, who have not always shown much patience with young players developing into the role.
It seems to me the organization is doing what you suggest they should do. We went from no natural centers in the pipeline to our 2 top prospects both being centers within a couple years. Included in this was Chevy using his most valuable trade chip this summer in McGroarty to obtain a highly drafted young center who had a great D+1 season playing his natural center position. Considering how rare top centers are that is a pretty good start.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

I’m hoping this year brings us some movement (literally) on the PP and the infusion of some youth up front and at the back end.

@sipowicz is gonna love your posts in about 9996 posts when he actually considers them;)
Welcome to the fun

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa

The "improvement" might come from Hellebuyck getting 68 starts instead of 61 :naughty:

Reactions: WolfHouse

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Welcome aboard the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad