Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not sure I see the benefit of playing Lambert at wing... might as well leave him in the AHL at C - then move Lucius to RW and Chib on his left - then he's the first injury callup in top six

I know everyone is clinging onto the Perfetti at C dream here... but I just don't see it. He seems like a guy far more effective on the edge than net front. If there was any experiment, I'd take a look at Vilardi as 2C - bit confused why our velvet hands net front guy wouldn't get a shot

Curious, but why do you see the center as the net front guy? In the ozone players switch often and on our team we don't really have designated net guys in the top 6. If anything the center is usually the trailer on the rush and I think that plays more to Cole's strengths finding space behind defenders entering the zone. But Arniel isn't going to start with it so no use continuing to harp on it.

By the same token Lambert doesn't fit your profile either. He is much more of a wide player with his speed and isn't much suited to battling infront of the net.

Reactions: BoneDocUK

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
After hearing Scheifele’s interview today I think Lambert would be a serious candidate to start the season with the Jets. If he struggles early, then he’s back to the Moose. The players seem to be anticipating young guys stepping in, if they are ready.

Did Chevy try to get veteran FAs to sign to fill a few spots? Yes. But the org and players seem to be embracing plan B, having the kids come in to fill spots.

Will be an interesting preseason.

And is it just me or does Heinola look like he’s aged 5 years this offseason?

He's growing into his Finnishness. Or looking down the barrel of yet another year in the A...

But yep, an interesting preseason for sure, and real grounds for optimism if Arniel makes even a partial pivot to running some of the talented prospects and adapting to the modern 3/4 line-rolling scoring and pressure game over the Jets house fave line deployment of:

- Scoring and being outscored
- Shutdown con Appleton
- Try not to lose / get benched with limited minutes
- Run around fast for 4-8 mins, hopefully avoid d-zone encampment

Always confident for the Kids Tourney, TC and that first sweet, long run of games. Plenty of time in the dark days of February for HF pessimism.

Reactions: Stumbledore

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There are 6 players from Lambert’s draft class with more than half a season played. He’s still a fresh faced kid. Talking about his pro hockey in Europe like it was developmental in the least is completely out to lunch. This pro European years were steps backwards not forward.
It isn’t out to lunch. It hindered his offensive development but playing against men at a young age would require an awareness of systems and defensive positioning. Forcing the kid into that role too young stole is offensive play which the Jets helped reestablish, but those years may serve him very well as he develops further as a pro.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
It isn’t out to lunch. It hindered his offensive development but playing against men at a young age would require an awareness of systems and defensive positioning. Forcing the kid into that role too young stole is offensive play which the Jets helped reestablish, but those years may serve him very well as he develops further as a pro.
When you say playing, you mean in 25 out of 50-60 games?

Just about every scout in the league disagrees with you. He went from a top 5 prospect in the draft to getting picked 30. He even looked bad at the WJC with his own age group.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
When you say playing, you mean in 25 out of 50-60 games?

Just about every scout in the league disagrees with you. He went from a top 5 prospect in the draft to getting picked 30. He even looked bad at the WJC with his own age group.
You’re responding like he didn’t play hockey. Yes it impacted his offense and his development by the Jets have helped restore that. But playing professional hockey against men in a top European league isn’t nothing. The competition is much stronger than the CHL. Our other top prospect Salo just finished a season playing in Europe and he is developing well. Would he have scored more points playing in the CHL, of course. Maybe Lambert is developing well now because he is able to add offence to a more developed defensive game than what junior players usually bring to the pro ranks.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
You’re responding like he didn’t play hockey. Yes it impacted his offense and his development by the Jets have helped restore that. But playing professional hockey against men in a top European league isn’t nothing. The competition is much stronger than the CHL. Our other top prospect Salo just finished a season playing in Europe and he is developing well. Would he have scored more points playing in the CHL, of course. Maybe Lambert is developing well now because he is able to add offence to a more developed defensive game than what junior players usually bring to the pro ranks.
He barely played hockey. Sure he got older and you should get better as you get older. The fact is he regressed Vs his draft class. It wasn’t positive in nearly any way. I don’t even understand the idea that somehow he got better defensively. Is that a strength of his now? He wasn’t good at anything at the WJC. Lambert is developing because the Jets are doing just about everything the opposite of what Lambert was doing before entering the organization. Lambert is playing better because the Jets let him PLAY. Kids his age need to play, sitting in the press box and getting a few minutes a game when he does play is not good. His time in Europe should mean nothing today. His time playing in Liiga was a stall in his development at best. If the Jets would have left him in Finland we would not be talking about him today. The Jets saved him from a bad development path.

There is no comparison to Salomonsson who was playing games and in an important role. I’m not trying to say Europe is useless for everyone.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Curious, but why do you see the center as the net front guy? In the ozone players switch often and on our team we don't really have designated net guys in the top 6. If anything the center is usually the trailer on the rush and I think that plays more to Cole's strengths finding space behind defenders entering the zone. But Arniel isn't going to start with it so no use continuing to harp on it.

By the same token Lambert doesn't fit your profile either. He is much more of a wide player with his speed and isn't much suited to battling infront of the net.
Speed, puckhandling and hockey IQ...

'Most' centers have the speed to drive play and to backcheck...

I'm nit talking about Lowry netfront more.like driving to the net - at the end of the day your C still gets more slot chances than anyone else

I really like the look of perfetti at RW so I'm not sure I'd mess with that while he's developing

Basically lambert has excelled at C and I'd rather not convert yet another center to wing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'm nit talking about Lowry netfront more.like driving to the net - at the end of the day your C still gets more slot chances than anyone else

I really like the look of perfetti at RW so I'm not sure I'd mess with that while he's developing

Basically lambert has excelled at C and I'd rather not convert yet another center to wing

Ok, I got a better idea of what you are getting at now. Not sure I agree with the center getting the most slot chances though. KC routinely gets more then Scheifele, as did Vilardi.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He barely played hockey. Sure he got older and you should get better as you get older. The fact is he regressed Vs his draft class. It wasn’t positive in nearly any way. I don’t even understand the idea that somehow he got better defensively. Is that a strength of his now? He wasn’t good at anything at the WJC. Lambert is developing because the Jets are doing just about everything the opposite of what Lambert was doing before entering the organization. Lambert is playing better because the Jets let him PLAY. Kids his age need to play, sitting in the press box and getting a few minutes a game when he does play is not good. His time in Europe should mean nothing today. His time playing in Liiga was a stall in his development at best. If the Jets would have left him in Finland we would not be talking about him today. The Jets saved him from a bad development path.

There is no comparison to Salomonsson who was playing games and in an important role. I’m not trying to say Europe is useless for everyone.
Lambert's situation in Liiga was complicated by a bizarre playing system. The WJC coaches gave him zero latitude for mistakes, while allowing other forwards to make mistakes without benching. That's how I saw it, and it would impact his game.

Getting him into the WHL and then the AHL was an important restructuring of his development and by all accounts he's worked hard to improve over the past couple of seasons.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Where do you get he barely played? In his draft year he played 49 games at the LIIGA level and 15 at the junior level.

Lambert was also a consensus #14 ranking in his draft year, while McGroarty was a consensus #20. He hadn't fallen off the map, We just got lucky he fell to us.

Edit: I will add the point, playing in your country's professional league is far and away the most common path for top European players in their draft year. There are pros and cons to playing with men in European pro leagues over playing with peers in leagues like the CHL. I do believe it is a bit of a slippery slope if we just look at development through a NA lens, and negate the high level of hockey played in European pro leagues.

Last edited:
Reactions: TS Quint

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I wish I could feel more confident but after that drubbing from Colorado when I look at the roster I feel "meh". Can someone please lift my spirits.
this was a line up for a random game i searched up from last november

connor-scheifele-iafallo
perfetti-namestnikov-ehlers
niederreiter-lowry-appleton
barron-gustafsson-kupari

morrissey-demelo
dillon*-pionk
samberg-schmidt*

Any key departures you can think? asterisk represents play not here anymore. Dillon i think was a v good player for us as a top-4 D, but imo his departure is not enough to sink a team.

30-13-5 was our record prior to the monahan addition, with the cast of characters above, which included injuries at fwd to vilardi, connor (which birthed ESV our most prolific line) & scheifele

having helle will always keep this team from having a crap season since he's an elite regular season goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: WolfHouse

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
this was a line up for a random game i searched up from last november

connor-scheifele-iafallo
perfetti-namestnikov-ehlers
niederreiter-lowry-appleton
barron-gustafsson-kupari

morrissey-demelo
dillon*-pionk
samberg-schmidt*

Any key departures you can think? asterisk represents play not here anymore. Dillon i think was a v good player for us as a top-4 D, but imo his departure is not enough to sink a team.

30-13-5 was our record prior to the monahan addition, with the cast of characters above, which included injuries at fwd to vilardi, connor (which birthed ESV our most prolific line) & scheifele

having helle will always keep this team from having a crap season since he's an elite regular season goalie.

So basically the same team minus a good top 4 D. New coach though. I'm pretty confident they make the playoffs but I'm still feeling depressed. Doesn't scream cup winner to me.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I don't understand why so many people feel the need to play Perfetti at C. He's a great goddamn winger. Not everyone needs to be a centre

The fact that it sounds like Arniel has him penciled in on the wing is actually to me more of a statement to the fact that they see Lambert as a long term C, which is a blessing.

Reactions: WolfHouse

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So basically the same team minus a good top 4 D. New coach though. I'm pretty confident they make the playoffs but I'm still feeling depressed. Doesn't scream cup winner to me.
well we'll see on the cup winner part, there's an entire season to play. however, responding to "having some confidence for the season" id say the line-up is more-or-less the same and they have real good regular season goaltending so should be good for the POs although may not be a 4th overall finish (hard to do back to back years)

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wish I could feel more confident but after that drubbing from Colorado when I look at the roster I feel "meh". Can someone please lift my spirits.

Well, we are back to the regular season and that is our Stanley Cup. Minnesota have really given Chipman the blueprint.

In all seriousness I think we are good enough to be in the mix to make the playoffs but the central will be competitive again.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well, we are back to the regular season and that is our Stanley Cup. Minnesota have really given Chipman the blueprint.

In all seriousness I think we are good enough to be in the mix to make the playoffs but the central will be competitive again.
And given the Jets have elite goaltending locked down what do you suggest the Jets do alternatively. Rebuild? Bc that would've started with trading Helle, and good luck finding someone to replicate him.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
And given the Jets have elite goaltending locked down what do you suggest the Jets do alternatively. Rebuild? Bc that would've started with trading Helle, and good luck finding someone to replicate him.

If Helle is elite yes the jets are in the mix. He unfortunately had a historically bad playoffs so I'm sad.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Nope as long as Chipman owns the team we will follow in lock step with a large cluster of teams that try to compete for the playoffs every year (Minnesota being very effective at it). The Jets path is understandable at this snap shot in time given the core players contracts and lack of fan demand. Their approach is also an uncontrollable variable in my life. My main focus is to manage what I “can” control which is my expectations.

To that end I am “trying” to enjoy the journey with all its ups and downs. Last regular season was a blast, and the team crushed it, far exceeding my expectations. Bravo to that.

The Jets annual 2.0 playoff collapse, dropping the last four in a row every time we are eliminated (except v The Blues). That part of the journey is disheartening but it is what it is.

I do not expect to reach my dream “destination” which is a Stanley cup in Winnipeg in my life time, and I am at peace with that (although anything is possible). Very hard trophy to win.

The reason I watch is because I do really like NHL hockey in Winnipeg. I love getting to a live NHL game. I don’t expect that to go away.

Lastly, HFBoards Jets forum is a fun place to exchange ideas and thoughts. Playing imaginary GM with fellow Jets fanatics is a relaxing hobby.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad