Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Feels like a lost cause but we still need to actually role four lines... that means having confidence in a 4th line though
Esv
Connor-lambert-perfetti
Barron-lowry-iafallo
Nino-names-apples/kupari

Won't happen but it should
I remember Dave Lowry saying Adam likes having a RH shot on his line. Why I could only speculate. Appleton does a lot of legwork for the checking line, but I do wonder if Lambert could slot in there, as a way to learn how to be a complete centre from apprenticeship...there was a lot of praise in his defensive game at the AHL level. I like the winger combos for the top 6. I think you should be able to switch centers between them and still have success.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Our coaches also need to recognize he's no longer in his 20's and needs a reduction in minutes to maintain energy.
I agree - and I think you and I have discussed this in the past - if 55 puts the effort in, his minutes likely would decrease anyway.
If he continues to play at his current level of compete, he could play 30 minutes.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Agreed, Scheifele being a good defensive center would probably solve this.

At a certain point, defense isn't just about effort either. It's a skill to be able to mentally read the game. As Scheif approaches 30 you have to wonder, is he pretty much what he is now?

It's not about dropping responsibilities, it's about having support around your best players.

What is the best way we can support the weak points in his game and still enjoy the production?

If the solution is to keep Connor and Scheifele together and continue to develop their two way game with each other? Maybe if that does work out that's the best version of the team.

The issue is even Scheif doesn't get a ton better defensively, we are sending out the same bottom 5 top line in the NHL we have been instead of one that is measurably better.
Something happens every year with scheif around all star/Xmas break... he either runs out of gas or someone coaches him to 'save himself' for the playoffs?

That's when the stick waving and coasting to the bench usually starts... first half of the season we will gush about how 'he's back' and then second half we will all hope he decides to show up... and he does... occasionally

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chevy just interviewed at the Hilinka:

-Thinks Perfetti is just scratching the surface and has integrated himself into the core in the room.

-Needs young players to step up and help push team forward. Thinks Lambert and Chibrikov should factor sooner then later.

- Pumped Stanley's tires but also indicated its up to the young dmen like him and Ville to grab the positions that are open.

-Excited about the coaching staff and the fresh special team perspectives.

May have taken a subtle shot at McGroarty by pumping up the Moose and its role in development and naming top players for us that went through it.

Seems like the orgs view align with where I'm at. The core is aging and need an injection of young skill to keep things moving forward.

Last edited:

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg

-Thinks Perfetti is just scratching the surface and has integrated himself into the core in the room.

-Needs young players to step up and help push team forward. Thinks Lambert and Chibrikov should factor sooner then later.

- Pumped Stanley's tires but also indicated its up to the young dmen like him and Ville to grab the positions that are open.

May have taken a subtle shot at McGroarty by pumping up the Moose and its role in development and naming top players for us that went through it.

Seems like the orgs view align with where I'm at. The core is aging an injection of young skill to keep things moving forward.
That core comment about Perfetti has me wondering if they're pushing hard for some term.

Thanks for the update!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That core comment about Perfetti has me wondering if they're pushing hard for some term.

Thanks for the update!

It would align with the rumblings we've heard from some of the media about him being open to a long term deal. Perhaps the org is as well.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's quickly moving up the rungs in the room as he's Scheifele's protégé. His demeanor also really fits that of our leadership group.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Seems like the orgs view align with where I'm at. The core is aging and need an injection of young skill to keep things moving forward.
Do you have a link to the interview?

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016

So after watching Bonehead and his associate coach bench Perfetti for 11 regular season games and 4.1 playoff games, and not having played a game since, Chevy thinks Perfetti has intigrated himself into the core in the room. Good lord. Chevy is the Crash Davis of interviews.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So after watching Bonehead and his associate coach bench Perfetti for 11 regular season games and 4.1 playoff games, and not having played a game since, Chevy thinks Perfetti has intigrated himself into the core in the room. Good lord. Chevy is the Crash Davis of interviews.

Could be Chevy didn't agree with Bones's decisions.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I never put any stock in what Chevy says. They are going to do everything they can to make the playoffs and that's not conducive to integrating youth. I suspect by young players he's referring to Gus Kupari Stanley Perfetti Heiny.

We'll find out soon enough. I suspect both Lambert and Chibs start on the Moose.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I never put any stock in what Chevy says. They are going to do everything they can to make the playoffs and that's not conducive to integrating youth. I suspect by young players he's referring to Gus Kupari Stanley Perfetti Heiny.

We'll find out soon enough. I suspect both Lambert and Chibs start on the Moose.
Integrating youth can be conductive to making the playoffs if they are developmentally ready and a step up skill wise on current depth players. No doubt the organization wants its prospects to come through the Moose development tract but they now look to have a couple ready taking that track with clear roster spots available.

Reactions: Buffdog

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed I think there was a growing disconnect between Chevy’s long term plans and Bones’ short term roster decisions. We will see what Arniel does but I expect the organization to start pushing in their young players this year and next much as they did in 15-16 and 16-17 and push hard for a contention window supported by young cost efficient players on their ELCs.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Or he feels the year was a good learning season for Cole and he reacted well to what took place.
I'm sure the players in the room would also pick up on how well Cole reacted to the challenges - and that would help him integrate in the core.
Rookies go through tough situations - how well they react and adapt is the measuring stick.
There is no reason to assume the coach was working outside Chevy's box -

Reactions: hockeyarena

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agreed I think there was a growing disconnect between Chevy’s long term plans and Bones’ short term roster decisions. We will see what Arniel does but I expect the organization to start pushing in their young players this year and next much as they did in 15-16 and 16-17 and push hard for a contention window supported by young cost efficient players on their ELCs.
Part of the reason Cole didn't get the minutes he was getting also had something to do with Chevy and his late roster adds -
He's going to take the safe route when discussing Cole - which is looking forward rather than looking back.
I suppose the offseason is all about theories - but in the end, Cole is likely a better pro after what he went through LY

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think the plan was to integrate Perfetti into the top 6 ...but the team was way better than expected and when Perfetti started struggling Chevy acted to help the team NOW.

Sucks it failed miserably - making Perfettis' lesser role look worse - but hindsight and all.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Part of the reason Cole didn't get the minutes he was getting also had something to do with Chevy and his late roster adds -
He's going to take the safe route when discussing Cole - which is looking forward rather than looking back.
I suppose the offseason is all about theories - but in the end, Cole is likely a better pro after what he went through LY
Agreed but multiple things can be true at the same time. Short term moves at the TDL can by counter to the longer term strategy if you think you are close now. I think/hope Chevy will now double down on the longer term strategy.

Reactions: LowLefty

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad