Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Heinola add 250
Stan add 250
Gus add 250
Perfetti add 2m
Moni add 3.75
Save 750 on backup goalie

There's money to do something...

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Perfetti 2 x 3.5m
Gus 2 x 900k
Stan 1 x 1m
Goalie 1 x 1.4m
Dillon 2 x 3.5m
Ville 2 x 1.75m

Wouldn't Mono have been signed by now if he were extending?
Probably going to lose Stan to waivers, no?
You could say the same for Dillon. I think Stan gets more than Heinola just based on NHL experience and that both come in at a number lower than Samberg's AAV. And Stan and Heinola could very well be the 3rd pairing. Contributing to both ends of special teams.

But it's interesting where the org and the coaches are at with the big guy. He earned his minutes late in the year...he still impressed me with hard outlet passes through the neutral zone...can play on the PK because of his development curve. But is he fed up of being passed over? Is Big Stan still capable of a breakout season?

Lundmark is a possible waiver defenseman. I'd call him the least hyped 2nd round pick in Jets history since Lukas Sutter.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Why did I think Heinola was RFA as well?
I think if they are using the same Cap Frien
Perfetti probably around 3m on a bridge. Gus and Stanley probably what 1m each?

So that'll be roughly 5M. ~7m left.

I think they go hard after Monohan now.
Back up goalie.
And a vet platoon third pair RHD.
I think so and if that is the case the Jets won't have AJF's salary against the Cap on opening day. Myself I am still hoping for Sillinger and Bean for Mc Groarty and Kupari.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I think if they are using the same Cap Frien

I think so and if that is the case the Jets won't have AJF's salary against the Cap on opening day. Myself I am still hoping for Sillinger and Bean for Mc Groarty and Kupari.

Jake Bean is a UFA, Columbus didn’t qualify him.

Reactions: voyageur

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I think that 2023/24 regular season was a high point for a while for this team. Playoffs didn't work out, but the regular season was a big success and a 4th place finish overall was not predicted. Neither was the Jennings trophy. I think that Bowness got more out of this roster than anyone in their wildest dreams could have imagined. Not confident that Arniel will be able to do the same over a full season.

Then, take into account some pretty big off season player roster changes. We are freeing up some cap space so I will wait and see how free agency plays out and how the Jets fill some pretty big holes. But at this point in time, it feels like a big step back is going to happen this season. Hope not. Fingers crossed that Chevy can pull some magic out of his ass.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
JMO, but I think Plan A was the win now mode, but without being able to sign veteran players , I think the jets are on to Plan B, which is give the youth opportunities and hopefully they are ready.

Im OK with a youth movement if that happens.
where is the youth, assuming prospects not in the nhl, supposed to play?

the Jets entire fwd group to start the 2023 is under contract or team-control (2 RFAs). there's no room up front barring a trade.

the D group may have 1 spot open on the third pair. hardly should be considered a "movement"

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

the Jets entire fwd group to start the 2023 is under contract or team-control (2 RFAs). there's no room up front barring a trade.

the D group may have 1 spot open on the third pair. hardly should be considered a "movement"
They did say if it happens.
Wonder what’s happening behind the scenes with Ehlers camp

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
They did say if it happens.
Wonder what’s happening behind the scenes with Ehlers camp
OP said they're on to plan B, which is the youth movement. so given the line-up and contracts as it stands now, where are these supposed youth opportunities? seems like none at fwd essentially all the vets are back. perhaps 1 at Defense (Stanley was qualified so assuming he's back) . as long as the team has Helle they are competing in win-now mode.

Reactions: rkp and Eyeseeing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
JMO, but I think Plan A was the win now mode, but without being able to sign veteran players , I think the jets are on to Plan B, which is give the youth opportunities and hopefully they are ready.

Im OK with a youth movement if that happens.

I kind of see it as this. It seemed Cole and Snerg were always going to get expanded roles and Ville was always going to get a shot next year. But now it seems like there might be some opportunity for Lamber and or Chibrikov to play their way into the picture and win a starting spot.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

As of right now I think there's at least one spot on the top 6 (2 if Ehlers is dealt) and two on D (I'm assuming Heinola takes one and thr other one is likely Lundmark, who may or may not platoon with Stanley)

So:
Connor Schief Vilardi
Ehlers Perfetti/Youth Youth/Perfettti
Nino Lowry Apples
Barron Names Iafallo
Kupari
Youth?

JoMo Demelo
Snerg Pionk
Stanley Heinola
Youth

You could also bump Names to the 2nd line to start the season and let Lambert ease his way in at 4C with 2PP time (that's what I would do). Names has one year left and Lambert steps into the role next season

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As of right now I think there's at least one spot on the top 6 (2 if Ehlers is dealt) and two on D (I'm assuming Heinola takes one and thr other one is likely Lundmark, who may or may not platoon with Stanley)

So:
Connor Schief Vilardi
Ehlers Perfetti/Youth Youth/Perfettti
Nino Lowry Apples
Barron Names Iafallo
Kupari
Youth?

JoMo Demelo
Snerg Pionk
Stanley Heinola
Youth

You could also bump Names to the 2nd line to start the season and let Lambert ease his way in at 4C with 2PP time (that's what I would do). Names has one year left and Lambert steps into the role next swason

How I see it atm. Ideally Perfetti shows he can play 2C this year and the Lambert can play C the following year. It will allow us to potentially transition to having both as C for the 26/27 season as Lowry only has 2 years left on his deal.

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
How I see it atm. Ideally Perfetti shows he can play 2C this year and the Lambert can play C the following year. It will allow us to potentially transition to having both as C for the 26/27 season as Lowry only has 2 years left on his deal.
Yup, and I think that if Ehlers IS traded, Names gets bumped to the 2nd line, Lambert has a spot up there to lose and Kupari slots in at 4C (depending on the Ehlers return, of course)

For some reason, I still think the org is high on him despite absolutely zero production

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

This is what I want to see. Take a step back and trial your young players to get them their NHL legs. Kovacevic and Chisholm are good examples of the logjam of excess. Wish he would actually deal from strength to address weakness, though. The team is a strong contender for the bubble.

Seems like we will get a bit of a Youth movement due to the org striking out in FA.

Let's not kid ourselves, their will be some bumps next year if this comes to pass.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Every season, Ehlers + Scheifele results in a positive (often massively positive) 5v5 goal differential and positive shot metrics.

Every season, Ehlers without Scheifele results in a positive (often massively positive) 5v5 goal differential and positive shot metrics.

Every season, Scheifele without Ehlers results in a negative or breakeven 5v5 goal differential and negative shot metrics.

The net impact of Ehlers over the last 5 seasons, playing with or without Scheifele at 5v5, has been +84 goals (and ~52% average across all the shot metrics: CF, FF, SF, xGF, SCF, HDCF).

The net impact of Scheifele over the last 5 seasons, without Ehlers at 5v5, has been -27 goals (and ~47% across all the shot metrics).

It's going to be pretty difficult to replace Ehlers - as JFresh said on Twitter today, the Jets have probably underutilized Ehlers' prime, they're probably worse off for trading him, and they're not going to get back the return they should for a player with his kind of impact.

Yeah, yeah, Ehlers has been bad in the playoffs...but do the Jets even make the playoffs in 2020, 2021 and 2023 without him? Even this year, the Jets' #1C was +0 at 5v5 without Ehlers.
47 Likes.
Not to mention the intangibles. Probably the most exciting Jet to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad