Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nobody's eye test saw the rise of Morrissey coming that I am aware of. The best that might have existed back then from his still diehard fans is guys who hadn't written him off since his partners usually sucked but nobody saw the guy coming that Josh and Bones created in Frankenstein's lab.

I'd be reluctant to give Bones too much credit on this... various models were showing Morrissey performing at an elite d-men level the season before under Maurice/Lowry... he just didn't have the counting stats. He got the counting stats the following season when Bones took over, so he likely would have been elite, Bones or not.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Nobody's eye test saw the rise of Morrissey coming that I am aware of. The best that might have existed back then from his still diehard fans is guys who hadn't written him off since his partners usually sucked but nobody saw the guy coming that Josh and Bones created in Frankenstein's lab.

I saw him rebounding to a good number 2 dmen/possible low end number 1. He certainly crushed that prediction.

I'd be reluctant to give Bones too much credit on this... various models were showing Morrissey performing at an elite d-men level the season before under Maurice/Lowry... he just didn't have the counting stats. He got the counting stats the following season when Bones took over, so he likely would have been elite, Bones or not.

I actually give Lowry the most credit. He was the one that took the reigns off and told him to play like he did as a junior player.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Morrissey's AAV is 375k higher. Not much, I know.
Pionk signed 2 years later. More recent signings tend to be higher.
That one season was a contract year. Funny how that matches up. :laugh:
people's memories are short...Pionk outscored Morrissey by a wide margin in 2019-20. 45 pts to 31. (25 to 12 on the PP). We know now that Josh was dealing was personal troubles....Covid year Pionk again outscores Morrissey 32 pts to 21 (10-9 on PP)...And he still got less than Josh. Now Morrissey has found his game, stabilized with De Melo being a familiar d-partner...But based on those 2 seasons you could argue that Pionk should have earned more than Morrissey....Now fans think he's garbage, but I am not sure they really understand.... Josh really got shit on when he struggled too, so it's always nice to see players overcome adversity, and prove that fans don't always know better.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
You may not be right on that point any more. I think a lot of Nik fans have quietly walked away because the debate became so polarized, often personal and just not much fun.

Ehlers is great fun to watch (albeit frustrating at times) but he is not my favourite player. But for many, his utilization became a proxy for everything that is wrong with the decision-making in this organization.

I'm happy for Arniel and genuinely hope he makes objectively better, evidence-informed decisions to complement his experience and interpersonal skills. Other than that, with the likely loss of important UFAs and no real stars in the pipeline, I'm finding it hard to get my hopes up. Ehlers impending departure is a proxy for all that, but it's not just about Ehlers at all.

Huge Ehlers fan. First Winnipeg jersey. But we’re crossing that bridge with regards to his future. We were best when we were stacked on D. We have to improve the backend. Moving Ehlers could go a long way to improving that. We’ll see what happens though. We have to have an open mind going forward.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Huge Ehlers fan. First Winnipeg jersey. But we’re crossing that bridge with regards to his future. We were best when we were stacked on D. We have to improve the backend. Moving Ehlers could go a long way to improving that. We’ll see what happens though. We have to have an open mind going forward.

I’m gonna be sad when ehlers goes but this is how I’m mentally coping with it. Just sort of accepting that we need to give to get

I just hope we get something good on the backend

Reactions: Buffdog

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Stanley Cup finals over, next season starts in roughly 27 minutes, lol, so what is the first player personnel move we see?
Is it a trade or resigning one of our own?. Can't be a UFA signing just yet but curious to see how quickly Chevy is to act.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I believe the buyout period starts 48 hours after the end of the Stanley Cup playoffs. There will be a flurry of action over the next couple days that is for sure.
I generally thought they'd keep Nate in the Press Box for a year, but now I'm not sure.

I'm hoping they have a Demelo extension in the can, that they're going to announce today, now that the Finals are done.

Reactions: mazmin

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Manitoba’s goaltender development coach Drew MacIntyre feels Delia won’t return with the team next season and will become an unrestricted free agent. “He won’t be back with us next year,” he said “On July 1st, he will be a free agent so hopefully he signs somewhere, it doesn’t look like it will be with us.”

Despite the dazzling first pro season, it doesn’t seem like Milic will get a crack the Jets' roster next season. He will need to continue his development in the AHL before being given a real chance at an NHL lineup. “I believe he can get to another level in the AHL, but he’s got to be patient, he’s still a young guy and hopefully he can build off the season he had,” MacIntyre said. He went on to note that most young netminders need roughly 150 pro games before receiving a real chance and Milic is making his way with 51 games between the ECHL and AHL this season.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Manitoba’s goaltender development coach Drew MacIntyre feels Delia won’t return with the team next season and will become an unrestricted free agent. “He won’t be back with us next year,” he said “On July 1st, he will be a free agent so hopefully he signs somewhere, it doesn’t look like it will be with us.”

Despite the dazzling first pro season, it doesn’t seem like Milic will get a crack the Jets' roster next season. He will need to continue his development in the AHL before being given a real chance at an NHL lineup. “I believe he can get to another level in the AHL, but he’s got to be patient, he’s still a young guy and hopefully he can build off the season he had,” MacIntyre said. He went on to note that most young netminders need roughly 150 pro games before receiving a real chance and Milic is making his way with 51 games between the ECHL and AHL this season.
The door is now open to sign Eric Comrie again. Milic is now a legit top 10 Jets prospect. Diventis probably starts in Norfolk.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Cheveldayoff admitted that pending UFA goalie Laurent Brossoit has played himself into a contract the Jets can’t afford behind Hellebuyck. As for Brossoit’s replacement, the Jets will look for a netminder that can handle a lighter workload.

“(Hellebuyck) thrives on playing a lot,” Cheveldayoff said. “You need somebody that can understand that, can accept that, but can work with that and can be ready. Someone that has a good outlook of where they’re at in their career and can understand the situation in front of them.”

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Cheveldayoff admitted that pending UFA goalie Laurent Brossoit has played himself into a contract the Jets can’t afford behind Hellebuyck. As for Brossoit’s replacement, the Jets will look for a netminder that can handle a lighter workload.

“(Hellebuyck) thrives on playing a lot,” Cheveldayoff said. “You need somebody that can understand that, can accept that, but can work with that and can be ready. Someone that has a good outlook of where they’re at in their career and can understand the situation in front of them.”

Yikes... way to make the goalie that you are about to sign feel good Chevy...

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad