Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 62 44.0%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 44 31.2%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
because the jets are not a favored destination for good number of UFA s or FA s or even trades, number 1 draft picks are even more vitally important to the jets.....this team will be a more draft and develop team than others because of that reason alone....

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
But again it all falls apart time and time and time and time and time again in the playoffs.

But sure lets run it back again, maybe he figures it out next time. Why do we insist on beating our heads against a wall and expecting it to not hurt? We are no different than the Leafs at this point.

But look at these numbers in the regular season!!!
Okay great now do it when it actually matters.
If you insist on only looking at the playoffs, you're going to want to find new homes for half the team. More than that, in fact.

Are we going to, for example, to get rid of the defensemen who have been outscored at 5v5 in the playoffs in the last three seasons? Seems reasonable to measure them by actual goals, since we're already being results-oriented. OK, that's f***ing all of the D-men gone in one fell swoop. The same thing with centermen? Say hello to David Gustafsson, your new #1C (and your only one, too). Connor gets to stay too, but that's all she wrote for Gus' supporting cast.

Pinning this on Ehlers is... well, it's something.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think you focus on Ehlers because you can get something in return for him that might be as or more useful

Saying that though Ehlers might have high value for the Jets if he is willing to resign here

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agree, and it could be even for a guy like Pulock that his value in the league is more than it should be due to the scarcity of the position.

I was mainly trying to say that we can sometimes have a "grass is greener" mentality here in regards to trades and values, and a guy like Pulock has things like a long term deal that he is not currently outplaying, and a NTC that could affect his value.

All very true. Everyone is pissed at Pionks play and rightly so but a lot of the alternatives that we are likely to be able to get are likely to be underwhelming as well if not just flat out worse. Of course there is always a chance we find a diamond in the rough.

If you insist on only looking at the playoffs, you're going to want to find new homes for half the team. More than that, in fact.

Are we going to, for example, to get rid of the defensemen who have been outscored at 5v5 in the playoffs in the last three seasons? Seems reasonable to measure them by actual goals, since we're already being results-oriented. OK, that's f***ing all of the D-men gone in one fell swoop. The same thing with centermen? Say hello to David Gustafsson, your new #1C (and your only one, too). Connor gets to stay too, but that's all she wrote for Gus' supporting cast.

Pinning this on Ehlers is... well, it's something.

The difference between someone like Connor, Schief or a plethora of others is they score. Which is what wins games.

4 goals in 37 games is not good enough.

Nov 24, 2006
I do think that Ehlers will get moved. He's a joy to watch but he disappears in the playoffs.

These very same Avs dealt from a position of strength (Byram) to address need (Middlestadt) at the TDL. This team needs a top 4 RHD and I suspect Ehlers gets moved to make that happen.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I do think that Ehlers will get moved. He's a joy to watch but he disappears in the playoffs.

These very same Avs dealt from a position of strength (Byram) to address need (Middlestadt) at the TDL. This team needs a top 4 RHD and I suspect Ehlers gets moved to make that happen.

Yeah we just need to find a team that has a RHD they are willing to move for winger help. I have no idea what that team is right now but I'm sure there is bound to be one that pops up eventually.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The difference between someone like Connor, Schief or a plethora of others is they score. Which is what wins games.

4 goals in 37 games is not good enough.
They play the most, so you'd expect them to top the scoreboard. Also, they allow more goals against than Nik while on the ice, so do they also lose games?

But if you're hellbent on making this an Ehlers problem, don't let me stop you. It's funny how you think he'll fetch a top RHD despite of him the playoff failure you portray him to be, though. :D

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
how much value does ehlers as a UFA-1 and a PO ghost have? rebuild teams - probably not. PO teams, they gonna give up a sure fire top-4 RD for him? :dunno:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Don't put words in my mouth because what I'm saying is what you don't want to hear. Point to the post where I said I want Monahan and Toffoli. f*** off with that bullshit.

I'm not even really sure Ehlers is that. His style of play is eye popping but he suffers from over thinking and generally looks like he is doing a lot more than he actually is.

You look at his advanced stats and say wow this guy should be doing so much but really he's just great at moving through zones. His shot is quick but incredibly innacurate and he often misses the forest for the tree's. Skating circles around the zone looks fun, but unlike MacK and McDavid he never actually does anything with it.

He's not Mack or McDavid, that's supposed to be Scheifele, the guy who gets all the ice time. But he sucked.

You seemingly want less speed on this team, a team who just got beat by a team who skated them out of the building. You want one of the only + skaters in this entire roster who's not a 4th liner traded. That's the focus of your posts, a guy who won't even go for much :laugh:.

Connor scored a decent amount.

Sucked the same as Ehlers.

Morrissey is our best dman.

Hellebuyck sucked the same as Ehlers.

Everyone sucked.

I think you focus on Ehlers because you can get something in return for him that might be as or more useful

Saying that though Ehlers might have high value for the Jets if he is willing to resign here

Why would he go for a lot? Players with good analytics without gaudy point totals tend not to go for a lot. Look at Lehkonen vs Monahan, or Toews vs a lot of other dmen.

. . . Colorado kind of good at trading huh.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Interesting look what goalie make the most saves but he is the problem.:huh:
Remember the "pulled your goalie" chants ... karma is biotch.
SOGSaves
1Connor Hellebuyck30WPG551424177153.8645.2302750.0001137-6.480000
2Andrei Vasilevskiy29TBL551416156140.8973.2202982.4000104-0.560000
3Semyon Varlamov35NYI541313152139.9142.7002892.5000862.040002
4Alexandar Georgiev27COL554115140125.8933.0302974.8001108-1.150000
5Frederik Andersen34CAR554112137125.9122.2503203.6001891.560000
6Sergei Bobrovsky35FLA554114135121.8962.7803023.6001105-0.640000
7Jeremy Swayman25BOS44316124118.9521.49024141.0000496.270000
8Logan Thompson26VEG442210127117.9212.3502553.7500802.570000
9Stuart Skinner25EDM443110124114.9192.4812422.5001812.270000
10Cam Talbot

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
looking back on 2015 it's shocking we even made the playoffs with that roster. i think the same will be said for this year's defence. I predict Morrissey is the only one in the nhl in 3 seasons.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They play the most, so you'd expect them to top the scoreboard. Also, they allow more goals against than Nik while on the ice, so do they also lose games?

But if you're hellbent on making this an Ehlers problem, don't let me stop you. It's funny how you think he'll fetch a top RHD despite of him the playoff failure you portray him to be, though. :D

Oh I never said he would 100% fetch us a RHD. I've been saying for pages now that unless we find a trade partner that is eager to get winger help and has a plethora of RHD it's unlikely. In fact if you have been reading anything I've been posting. I said we should probably target a draft pick in this years draft to recoup some of the draft capital we moved out. Like San Joses 14th overall.

It's more likely Ehlers gets moved to a team in the basement looking to claw their way out then a playoff team.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Who's trading a top 4 RHD for a winger, and who do you think it's going to be that isn't neal pionk 2.0?

Serious question.

Connor has way more value imo, but they don't have the NHL players atm to realistically replace either of them.

Cause they're not playing young guys in important roles unless Bowness is gone. Lambert is AHL bound, Rutger if he signs is AHL bound, Salomonssom, this is still the Jets we're talking about.

You trade Ehlers or Connor and you've lost one of your only fast wingers. Who's stepping in? Please don't say Barron :laugh:.

This team needs more changes then just 1 guy. If Ehlers isn't re-signing trade him, but that's step 1 of 10.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think with Ehlers you have separate issues

1) Why would he stay, and are you will to pay the cost of keeping him?

2) Can trading him fill a need?

I love Nik, but this was a weird year with him. Not sure if it’s partly related to post-injury, age curve, odd usage, or some combination of those factors, but he has looked far less decisive and dangerous, and running him as a 3rd liner (by icetime) won’t help. His value isn’t where it should be, but it will also be find to find a player who provides equivalent or higher value at his cap hit.

Also, he or his agent will likely have paid some attention to his value as perceived and actual useage, and though I don’t get the cash-first vibe from him, I’d be surprised if he isn’t listening to offers. And if Bones sticks around, why stay?

Also not sure what you get for him. RHD-wise, hard to see equivalent value coming back. Picks and a prospect or 2, maybe, but is that what the Jets need?

So much depends on direction. If they’re going to be Lowry’s team, then they should be shifting some skill/IQ players for higher-end diggers and mockers to fill out the roster. OTOH, that strategy isn’t a guarantee in today’s NHL, and likely puts them in a dogfight with NSH and maybe even MIN next season, and in tight for a PO spot.

I think they need to move Nik for his sake and their’s. But not sure they get a huge haul back. Hopefully it’s at least a useful one.

I’d say they could look at Vilardi also, but they won’t move a marquee trade return until and unless he refuses to sign longterm.

Dying early, embarrassingly and hard in the POs has the potential to screw up a lot more than ticket gate receipts.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's not Mack or McDavid, that's supposed to be Scheifele, the guy who gets all the ice time. But he sucked.

You seemingly want less speed on this team, a team who just got beat by a team who skated them out of the building. You want one of the only + skaters in this entire roster who's not a 4th liner traded. That's the focus of your posts, a guy who won't even go for much :laugh:.

Connor scored a decent amount.

Morrissey is our best dman.

Hellebuyck sucked the same as Ehlers.

Everyone sucked.

No one on our team is Mack or McDavid and trying to compare anyone to them is a futile exercise. You get those players by being embarrassingly bad, usually for a long stretch of time.

The major difference here is that Ehlers has 1 year left and is gone after this season likely. And even if he sticks around I don't really see much changing with his game in the playoffs so I don't see any point in keeping him if the goal is to be better there.

I get it Ehlers is a great person. He's universally loved by media, fans and teammates and he is kind hearted guy who is lovable and funny.

I will miss him. But it's time to move on.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think with Ehlers you have separate issues

1) Why would he stay, and are you will to pay the cost of keeping him?

2) Can trading him fill a need?

I love Nik, but this was a weird year with him. Not sure if it’s partly related to post-injury, age curve, odd usage, or some combination of those factors, but he has looked far less decisive and dangerous, and running him as a 3rd liner (by icetime) won’t help. His value isn’t where it should be, but it will also be find to find a player who provides equivalent or higher value at his cap hit.

Also, he or his agent will likely have paid some attention to his value as perceived and actual useage, and though I don’t get the cash-first vibe from him, I’d be surprised if he isn’t listening to offers. And if Bones sticks around, why stay?

Also not sure what you get for him. RHD-wise, hard to see equivalent value coming back. Picks and a prospect or 2, maybe, but is that what the Jets need?

So much depends on direction. If they’re going to be Lowry’s team, then they should be shifting some skill/IQ players for higher-end diggers and mockers to fill out the roster. OTOH, that strategy isn’t a guarantee in today’s NHL, and likely puts them in a dogfight with NSH and maybe even MIN next season, and in tight for a PO spot.

I think they need to move Nik for his sake and their’s. But not sure they get a huge haul back. Hopefully it’s at least a useful one.

I’d say they could look at Vilardi also, but they won’t move a marquee trade return until and unless he refuses to sign longterm.

Dying early, embarrassingly and hard in the POs has the potential to screw up a lot more than ticket gate receipts.

A team like the Jets can always use picks and prospects. Of course they are all valued differently and I'd never trade Ehlers for a 3rd and C prospect that can barely tread water in junior. But I think exploring a deal at the draft is a healthy way to go about it.

It's a solid draft and there are plenty of teams with multiple picks, some that may be wanting to turn a corner soon and start looking towards not being in the basement. I think Ehlers can be attractive to a team like that. The hard part is not being able to talk extension until July 1st. That puts a lot of risk on the team acquiring and they may not like that risk.

Reactions: JetsUK

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No one on our team is Mack or McDavid and trying to compare anyone to them is a futile exercise. You get those players by being embarrassingly bad, usually for a long stretch of time.

The major difference here is that Ehlers has 1 year left and is gone after this season likely. And even if he sticks around I don't really see much changing with his game in the playoffs so I don't see any point in keeping him if the goal is to be better there.

I get it Ehlers is a great person. He's universally loved by media, fans and teammates and he is kind hearted guy who is lovable and funny.

I will miss him. But it's time to move on.

Hey if he's gone then you absolutely trade him, absolutely no to an own rental. No doubt. I don't think he's going for any sort of D solution though, it will be picks and/or prospects. And those guys won't likely get a shot soon.

So if you trade him who is the coach who is going to give Lambert a shot in the sheltered 3rd line role behind Scheif/Lowry. Or Perfetti/Vilardi with Lambert on the wing in that sheltered role. I just don't see the balls from Chevy to force it and this team getting slower scares me :laugh:.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hey if he's gone then you absolutely trade him, absolutely no to an own rental. No doubt. I don't think he's going for any sort of D solution though, it will be picks and/or prospects. And those guys won't likely get a shot soon.

So if you trade him who is the coach who is going to give Lambert a shot in the sheltered 3rd line role behind Scheif/Lowry. Or Perfetti/Vilardi with Lambert on the wing in that sheltered role. I just don't see the balls from Chevy to force it and this team getting slower scares me :laugh:.

Well I'm assuming Bones won't be back. With what transpired for him this year I think he is going to retire. Will the next guy give Chib, Lambert and Heinola a shot next year? I hope so. Not gonna hold my breath but hope is all we have.

I don't think Ehlers gets us a D either but crazier things have happened. I'd put that odds at less than 5% that he returns anything we can use immediately. That 14th overall pick from San Jose sure would be nice. I'd try and target someone like Carter Yakechuk on the Hitmen with that pick. Big 6'3 RHD with silky smooth hands and solid skating. A little off topic but I'd be looking to get into that first round for this kid.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
You know, I can do it, if no one else is around. I’d love to make a couple million each year and get to travel all across Canada and the United States.

At least make me the PP coach. Figure I can’t do much worse.

Reactions: MardyBum

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You know, I can do it, if no one else is around. I’d love to make a couple million each year and get to travel all across Canada and the United States.

At least make me the PP coach. Figure I can’t do much worse.

"We just have to wait until everyone is healthy" is certainly a strategy I think you could top 😉

• Haha
Reactions: snowkiddin

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think that an ideal destination for Ehlers would need to be a team that is just exiting a rebuild and wants to take the next step and needs a player like him. Maybe somewhere like Anaheim? I don't even know

It would also need to be a place where he'd want to extend and who has the piece(s) chevy is looking for in a return

Reactions: JetsUK

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think that an ideal destination for Ehlers would need to be a team that is just exiting a rebuild and wants to take the next step and needs a player like him. Maybe somewhere like Anaheim? I don't even know

It would also need to be a place where he'd want to extend and who has the piece(s) chevy is looking for in a return

Agree. He seems like a good dude, and I expect he's work with the Jets and a prospective landing spot to get a deal that works for all parties.

I also think this year's team, despite the disappointing playoffs, made some real strides in quite a few areas, and I expect them to make some deals that help to extend those areas of improvement.

I do think an injection of talented prospects, with a little less than the usual Jets caution, is going to be really important.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing the news and seeing the progress next autumn.

Be well, all.

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
I am not quite sure where to start:

in goal: If possible get a pick for the rights to LB & find a new back-up (play more games than LB almost no matter how it goes)

Defense: Somehow get lucky and find a way to create an above average 2nd pair. not an easy job, neither in FA or with trades. It is just so much easier to hide a bad 3rd pairing than the situation we had against the Avalanches were any D who wasn't JoMo made the life for Helle and the forwards harder most of the time.

Forward: who is the 2nd center, and how to find room for young players while we have the current Lowry line?
Can we make the Lowry line more of a second line with one of Conner or Ehlers ? it didn't seem to bad when he played with Ehlers and Appleton for a short time in the play-offs. Perhaps keep Nino there and then one of Conner/Ehlers or something other option to give it more punch (for all the time that line will be on the ice).
So if we play scheifele and lowry's lines the most we could perhaps let the 2 other lines be more or less equal ice time in an attempt to roll 4 lines and let the young players learn.
Namestnikov, Iafollo, Barron and Perfetti + who ever the flavor of the month top 2 "young" player are. We have to figure out what we have with the young forwards.

Coaching: A: new people in charge of the special teams. As for the HC, I just hope the best and fear it could be worse

Trades: with Ehlers this summer and Conner next summer as the "best" options I don't really think we can solve much. It is just difficult to get decent returns for wingers :(

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree. He seems like a good dude, and I expect he's work with the Jets and a prospective landing spot to get a deal that works for all parties.

I also think this year's team, despite the disappointing playoffs, made some real strides in quite a few areas, and I expect them to make some deals that help to extend those areas of improvement.

I do think an injection of talented prospects, with a little less than the usual Jets caution, is going to be really important.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing the news and seeing the progress next autumn.

Be well, all.

I have to think that injecting a lot of projects isn't in the cards. If it were McGroarty likely would have signed.

I think we may get one but even that is iffy imo.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am re-signing Ehlers if he is willing to consider re-signing (which I doubt he will be). He will be cheaper than say a Connor and I don't think his trade value is that high... you are probably looking at a standard late 1st and B prospect type of package... nothing game changing. Ehlers is the kind of player the Jets need more of... a guy who is fast, transitions the puck and is willing to be physical (for his size).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad