Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 29 19.9%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 46 31.5%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Ottawa has an appetite to for change as they need to supplement their roster with some veterans to push to make the playoffs.

Many won’t agree with me and it most certainly won’t happen, but I’d do what I need to in order to pry Brady Tkachuk away from them. Connor ++???

Jets need more muscle with skill in their forward group. Until then they will continue to get pushed around.

Again, won’t happen, but hiring Berube as the Head coach would be smart.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Ottawa has an appetite to for change as they need to supplement their roster with some veterans to push to make the playoffs.

Many won’t agree with me and it most certainly won’t happen, but I’d do what I need to in order to pry Brady Tkachuk away from them. Connor ++???

Jets need more muscle with skill in their forward group. Until then they will continue to get pushed around.

I agree Brady Tkachuk would be a great addition here but I'd think the price would be very prohibitive even if Ottawa was entertaining trading him, which I doubt. They'll build around him, not move him. Their goal is to get back to the playoffs.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I agree Brady Tkachuk would be a great addition here but I'd think the price would be very prohibitive even if Ottawa was entertaining trading him, which I doubt. They'll build around him, not move him. Their goal is to get back to the playoffs.
Tkachuk would be awesome. Not going to happen.

If Ottawa wants to change their culture they trade Stutzle. His game is the anti Tkachuk.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I would like to see most of our UFAs re-signed even though that's unlikely (Monahan, TT, DeMelo, Brossoit)
Alternatively or in addition, a nice UFA signing (not sure who) would be welcomed to shake things up a bit
Ideally we extend Ehlers ASAP as well

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Stamkos is a UFA. Would it make any sense to clear some cap space by trading Ehlers for picks and making Stamkos an offer? He's 34 but his 81 points this season would have made him the Jet's top scorer. Has a couple of cups. Maybe he has no interest in leaving TB or playing in Wpg, but ignoring that, would it make sense?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
How many coaches does this team get before it's the players not the coaches?

Maurice, Lowry, Bones, all same results
Losingest NHL coach in history, interim rookie, and a walking anachronism long past his expiry date? I'd settle for an NHL coach in there, or at worst, a fresh young face with success at lower levels who might just believe in analytics and methods from the younger side of the Carter administration.

maurice was fine but here far too long and florida is f***ing stacked...

dallas fans have shared the same thoughts on bones as jets fans, probably even more harsh from what I read

lowry, I don't even know why he even gets mentioned here as a head coach, my guess is to prop up the numbers to make it seem worse then it actually is

Calling Lowry one of our head coaches is like calling Karl Dönitz one of Germany's Führers.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Losingest NHL coach in history, interim rookie, and a walking anachronism long past his expiry date? I'd settle for an NHL coach in there, or at worst, a fresh young face with success at lower levels who might just believe in analytics and methods from the younger side of the Carter administration.
Maurice has most losses partly because of how long he’s coached. He could just as accurately he called the fourth most winningest coach in NHL history.

The coaches deserve some blame but the free pass given to players because HFBoards analytics people don’t like the coaches is something I can’t agree with. Being old school doesn’t rip the heart out of a team come playoffs. Sheldon Keefe is consider a new wave young coach isn’t he? And the Leafs vanish in the playoffs almost as bad as the Jets do every year.

Calling Lowry one of our head coaches is like calling Karl Dönitz one of Germany's Führers.
I’d say Kim Campbell as PM of Canada is a more accurate comparison/analogy. She was PM for five months about as long as Lowry was head coach. Both inherited a mess and did nothing to fix it. I still think she was a legit prime minister.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

Agree it won’t happen — I’m sure Tkachuk is untouchable as far as Ottawa is concerned — but I’d absolutely trade pretty much whatever they want for him. I think someone like that is who the Jets need. Way too much softness among our skilled players.

Reactions: hockeyarena and rkp

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Agree it won’t happen — I’m sure Tkachuk is untouchable as far as Ottawa is concerned — but I’d absolutely trade pretty much whatever they want for him. I think someone like that is who the Jets need. Way too much softness among our skilled players.

I think all of Heinola, Salmo, Chibby and Lambert fit that GAF mould to some extent -- and McGroarty for sure does. Wonder if the Jets might have just made him an offer as a starter and taken it from there. They def need a few more who hate, hate, hate to lose.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think all of Heinola, Salmo, Chibby and Lambert fit that GAF mould to some extent -- and McGroarty for sure does. Wonder if the Jets might have just made him an offer as a starter and taken it from there. They def need a few more who hate, hate, hate to lose.
I dont know if the players do not hate to lose enough. The problem seems like they panic when things are not going right.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
After a quick tour through the Isles board, it seems Pulock is a player that could be had fairly cheap. Long term deal. I know we once drooled over him, but have those days passed? Perhaps they would take some soon to expire contracts to free cap space.
Pionk and a cheap sweetener.
Apples, Barron, Kupari, Gusty? I think Ehlers or Connor is too much straight up judging by their comments, but HF posters and Lou Lamerillo are completely different minds.

I'd possibly be interested in Pulock, but you're 100% correct that he shouldn't take a lot to acquire.

HF Jets has a decent amount of posters who always seem to lean towards other teams players needing massive returns. HF Islanders is more on the pulse regarding Pulock IMO. He has 6 years left on his deal that pays him over 6M a year. He's not an offensive D (his offense is comparable to Dillon), and he's not a transition D either. The Jets would need to be sure that he can at least be used as a strong defensive type player that can be paired with a puck mover (like in a Dillon role).

Pionk for Pulock might look strange to some on the surface thinking that Pulock is better than he is, but the Islanders might be looking to move on from his contract.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
How many coaches does this team get before it's the players not the coaches?

Maurice, Lowry, Bones, all same results.

I guess the counter-argument is these are all rubbish coaches and Maurice's success in Florida and Bones' in Dallas were just luck?

Will it only be admitted it's the players if we burn through a coach who's considered "good"? Which I guess won't happen since only a very few seem to be held in that regard.

I agree that coaching alone isn’t the answer. For example, Bones has criticisms that I don’t feel the players have stood up to respond with their play. He might be a dinosaur but there’s experience behind what he says. His Stars team beat Bednar’s Avs previously. He knows what it takes to win imo. Definitely needs to be a player shuffle. We need better D. Offence we can bring from our younger guys. D is something we lack

I have no issue with Chevy. I think he is great as a GM for the Winnipeg market. I fear other GMs would have run the franchise into the ground. Not his fault Monahan and Toffoli have not panned out in the playoffs but he did his job at the trade deadline without giving up significant assets and kept us good enough to finish with one of the best records in Jets 2.0 history. He’s not wrong when he said it’s hard to win in this league, we’re gonna also have to contend with an up and coming Utah team in the future. It’s going to be loaded with picks and already has some stud prospects, and Chevy has yet to have a mackinnon or mcdavid fall into his lap

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Just think of all the extra events that can cram into the Canada Life Centre over the next six weeks. You don't have any playoff games to go to. Hell, get some f***ing Forks Bands bullshit going on. I don't f***ing know.

• Haha
Reactions: Buffdog

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Clean house top to bottom. New GM, coaches and make some moves on some guys this offseason. Shake things up. We won't but we should.
Should have last offseason after that debacle. And probably the year before that, too.

This organization stinks.

And it is going to smell of Hellebucyk (regular season wonder, playoff wondering what the hell happened) and Scheifele for the next 7 years and $115 million.

Absolute unmitigated disaster.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Should have last offseason after that debacle. And probably the year before that, too.

This organization stinks.

And it is going to smell of Hellebucyk (regular season wonder, playoff wondering what the hell happened) and Scheifele for the next 7 years and $115 million.

Absolute unmitigated disaster.
You do know how tough that will be with absolutely no fa wanting to come here, don’t you?

Reactions: hockeyarena

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Idk what they’re gonna do but I would say(excluding obvious young guys) only Scheif, Connor, Lowry, Morrissey, and Helly are absolutely coming back, as they should. A lot of other things are up in the air.

I imagine Bones will retire and Arniel will take over. Brad Laurer should be gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad