Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 29 19.9%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 46 31.5%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
How many coaches does this team get before it's the players not the coaches?

Maurice, Lowry, Bones, all same results.

I guess the counter-argument is these are all rubbish coaches and Maurice's success in Florida and Bones' in Dallas were just luck?

Will it only be admitted it's the players if we burn through a coach who's considered "good"? Which I guess won't happen since only a very few seem to be held in that regard.

I've lost trust in Chevy, he needs to go too, he's had three head coaches at this point.
Bang on. When coach after coach fails with the same basic group, but is successful elsewhere, it’s pretty obvious where the problem is. Bottom line, whoever is putting this group together continues to fail. Getting rid of Chevy would be a bold move and Chipman is too soft to do it. I’ve been a firm believer for a long time now, that Chipman is one of the biggest problems with this organization.

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
I’m trying to think of players here that I’d be upset if they were gone, and I’ve got one, Morrissey. Maybe Lowry. Everyone else should he fair game. I used to feel like that about Ehlers, but his constant disappearing act in the playoffs is getting old.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Bang on. When coach after coach fails with the same basic group, but is successful elsewhere, it’s pretty obvious where the problem is. Bottom line, whoever is putting this group together continues to fail. Getting rid of Chevy would be a bold move and Chipman is too soft to do it. I’ve been a firm believer for a long time now, that Chipman is one of the biggest problems with this organization.
-florida was a very good team before they hired maurice
-dallas is still a very good team after they didn't keep bones

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba

I guess the counter-argument is these are all rubbish coaches and Maurice's success in Florida and Bones' in Dallas were just luck?

Will it only be admitted it's the players if we burn through a coach who's considered "good"? Which I guess won't happen since only a very few seem to be held in that regard.

I've lost trust in Chevy, he needs to go too, he's had three head coaches at this point.

It’s some of everything. Coaches, players, and GM. I don’t hate Bones but he seems a little stuck in his ways when we need to adapt. We have been exposed by a relentless forecheck/ transition at other times this season too, not just the playoffs.
But the biggest issue is I’ve watched a complete sh!t show of special teams all season except for a few blips. Their zone entries look like a TimBits game most days which is ridiculous because there is a lot of talent on the roster. A good defender stopping Vilardi from creating down low and we are hooped. We have shown zero ability to move and expose seams on the PP and its opposite world on the PK.
That’s why coaching is an issue to me.
But so is team speed, (especially vs Avs) and the D ability to transition under duress. So bring on some youth!!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
1). Defence-Morrisey is awesome. Depth falls off pretty quick after him.
2) Mental Toughness-team's leaders are the ones that need to be mentally tough and the rest of the team follows. This team folds extremely quickly under pressure.

This team has a history of folding under pressure - but I can't see Lowry as lacking mental toughness and I don't think Morrissey does either.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
In a non-politics world
Connor-monahan-scheif
Nino-names-ehlers
Ajf-gus-perfetti
Iafallo-lambert-lowry
Apples

Jomo-demelo
Samberg-schmidt
Capo-heinola
Stan

Gus and perfetti have chemistry
I'd still sign monahan he's good on pp but how do you get scheifs buy-in??
Scheif is an elite 1RW... convince him ti embrace that - he's a perimeter player
Sam and Schmidt have chemistry... buy out pionk
Give lambert a start on our checking line - then be ready to swap him with names
Team was better with names as our 2C even if he wasn't winning faceoffs
Bring in Salo as soon as possible
I'd call up chib as our trade deadline acquisition

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
the Jets have 11 Fwds signed w/ 2 RFAs. do people really think there will be some youth movement? when do the Jets ever just trade out of deals? im leaning toward the Jets chalking this season as a success and minimal changes. i think they try to re-sign demelo the hardest. and possibly a vet 3LD to platoon with stanley+heinola next year.

Agree with the bolded. Not sure fans will agree with the Jets assessment though.

I had decided that it didn't matter if they won the first rd or not but it mattered how they played and competed. They have not met my minimums.

This over promise and under deliver has worn out its welcome for me.

I think it is going to be very hard to sell tickets next year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
JMO, and I am not saying to do this because I'm blaming him, because I'm not....

But since he will probably win the Vezina again, put Helly out there just to see what you might get for him. A goalie like Helly can bring you a big return, so see what you can get. Maybe the Jets can get an elite d-man or forward.

But I know Chevy will never do that since he just extended him.

Then retain Brossoit.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Do the exact same thing, but with a different boring Jets/ Moose alumni coach. Can hardly wait.
I'd love to see us get a coach who isn't buddies with anyone at True North/Jets/Moose/etc. A strategic coach who doesn't go with his gut, but who can actually explain his decisions and can analyse what went wrong and make adjustments. We can have an assistant coach be the player buddy/whisperer or the storyteller for the media circus.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC

All 3 coaches were bad in their own way. One quiet quit and let the players run the locker room and ignore him,
Lowry did nothing, but was given a short rope.
Bowness coaches on gut feelings and poor line management.
Chevy can definitely be blamed for PoMo lasting so long before his best before expiry date. Lowry isn't a head coach in the NHL anywhere else.
Bowness and his old school feelings never should have been. They are Chevy's fault.
It's time for a progressive coach and to do that , maybe a new GM.
Also you are right, players need to step up and take responsibility for another disappointing season. Alot falls on them as well.

Reactions: Cypruss and hn777

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
We have 3 guys on D. The rest are movable or meh. Need to find out if Henola is puck mover #2 Get rid of Pionk. Trade Nik or find coaching/role match for him. Speed kills...get more speed (youth in system) up front. Some grinders are ok, to attempt to prop up 55 and KC defensive shortcomings ......but we have just too many guys taking regular shifts, who can skate, but cannot pop a needed goal on occasion.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
They talked about Rod Brind'Amour on one talk show one day as his contract is up after this season I believe and their owner is known for not wanting to overpay players and staff.

At the end of the day, I expect their owner to pay him what he wants, but in a universe where that didn't happen, if I was the Jets I'd offer him what he wanted and would allow him to bring in his whole staff.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think we need new coaching staff and a little youth movement reset like had after the Anaheim playoff. I’d move Ehlers for a D, or at least a top 4 sure fire RHD prospect. Trade Stanley, Apples and Iafollo for whatever we can get to recoup some draft capital lost. Reluctantly sign Demelo cause RHD are hard to find. We bring up some youth and we play them.

Niedereiter - Schiefele- Vilardi
Connor- Lambert - Perfetti
Chibrikov - Lowry - Barron
Names - Kupari - Gustafson

Morrissey - Demelo
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola - Schmidt

Helle

We likely take a step back, but maybe sniff the playoffs. The next year we bring up Rutger and Salomonsson with Names, Pionk and Schmidt moving on and the new “core” begins.

Something like that. But I'd keep Ehlers and trade KFC. If KFC is available, he will play with Scheifele. Bad as that combo is in the regular season, it is worse in the PO.

Gus is a better 4C than Kupari is. I don't think Kup has any trade value. I think he gets waived out of TC. Hope he clears. He needs a full season in the AHL. He probably gets claimed though. Tough. He is pretty much useless as he is and he isn't going to suddenly figure it out playing and being used like he has been.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Jets need to prioritize moving on from Pionk over Schmidt. Schmidt has been the talk of the guy traded this summer for months but it needs to be Pionk. Schmidt is a good veteran player in 3rd pairing mins.

Re-sign DeMelo.

Let Dillon test free agency. Let Tofolli go to UFA. Offer Monahan at most 3.5-4 million for about 3-4 years max and if he doesn't want that let him go to UFA.

Figure out if there is any kind of entitled "I only want to play on line with guy xyz" f***ery going on in this team and if so trade those players.

Apologize to Perfetti and Ehlers and try to mend those fences and see if Ehlers will consider re-signing.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
The rentals will not be back, I think the Jets really like DeMelo and I think he really like it here but he is not a top pairing D man and the Jets need to find one, A I might get moved, Nik will be re signed, LB is off to greener pastures, Dilly will look for that final pay day, Schmidt should be bought out and somehow Pionk needs to be moved. That leaves a lot of holes on our D.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Signed long-term and not going anywhere:

Morrissey
Scheifele
Hellebuyck

Signed for at least a couple more years and not going anywhere:

Connor
Lowry
Nino

Pending or upcoming RFAs and not going anywhere:

Perfetti
Vilardi
Samberg
Stanley

Pending UFAs:

Monahan - likely moves on
Toffoli - gone
DeMelo - likely resigns
Dillon - likely moves on
Brossoit - likely moves on

Upcoming UFAs in 1 year:

Ehlers - trade candidate
Pionk - needs to go, but coaches love him
Schmidt - buyout candidate
Iafallo - likely is moved for pick(s) this summer
Appleton - likely stays around
Names - likely stays around

Young guys on the cusp:

Heinola
Salomonsson
Lambert
Chibrikov
McGroarty
Barlow
Lucius

By the end of 2024/25:

Connor/Scheif/Vilardi
Perfetti/Lambert/McGroarty
Nino/Lowry/Apples
Chib/Names/Gus

Morrissey/DeMelo
Samberg/trade (Ehlers+)
Heinola/Salomonsson
Stanley

Helle

Wouldn’t a kid 2nd line be fun to watch. Will never happen but it would be fun.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Something like that. But I'd keep Ehlers and trade KFC. If KFC is available, he will play with Scheifele. Bad as that combo is in the regular season, it is worse in the PO.

Gus is a better 4C than Kupari is. I don't think Kup has any trade value. I think he gets waived out of TC. Hope he clears. He needs a full season in the AHL. He probably gets claimed though. Tough. He is pretty much useless as he is and he isn't going to suddenly figure it out playing and being used like he has been.

I feel that Kupari getting hurt immediately in the season put him behind the 8 ball. He’s got speed and pretty decent hands so I think there is something there but it might not be here.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

What is it with the players then? Are they uncoachable? They all have good resumes pre-Jets. Most have pretty good resumes with Jets, at least in regular season. They played the first half-season very well, proving that they can be very good in the NHL. Then they seemed to abandon what had been working. That certainly was never visible in the PO so far. None of it. Why?

Meanwhile, Bones gave us exactly what Dallas fans warned us he would bring. Some lineup decisions have been unfathomable, defying all evidence. Which would have been OK if they had worked. But it was his coaching that had them 1st in the league in pts% roughly half way through the season. That would seem to demonstrate that his coaching was working. Did the players abandon what worked or did the coaching staff? Neither makes sense. Why would anyone do that deliberately?

The only things I can see clearly are some of the lineup decisions. Between them and the PO results, I've had enough of Bones. I want him gone, along with any assistant involved with the special teams.

If the problem is in fact the players, then I want them gone too.

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
I'd love to see us get a coach who isn't buddies with anyone at True North/Jets/Moose/etc. A strategic coach who doesn't go with his gut, but who can actually explain his decisions and can analyse what went wrong and make adjustments. We can have an assistant coach be the player buddy/whisperer or the storyteller for the media circus.
And does the media or fans really even care if they’re connected to true north? It’s a cute story for the first few days, but the majority of fans are going to get a lot more excited about someone like you mentioned. Do some scouting, find a new up and comer. I’d rather see the go completely off the board then go back to the old boys club again. Top tier coaches probably aren’t lining up to come here, so why not maybe give a potential one his shot ata first job in the NHL. There’s gotta be some great coaches out there who haven’t coached in the NHL yet.

barrywpg

Nov 17, 2011
JMO, and I am not saying to do this because I'm blaming him, because I'm not....

But since he will probably win the Vezina again, put Helly out there just to see what you might get for him. A goalie like Helly can bring you a big return, so see what you can get. Maybe the Jets can get an elite d-man or forward.

But I know Chevy will never do that since he just extended him.
Helly"s and Schiefs contracts became untradeable before the ink was even dry on their signatures - both too old for contract length plus goalie market changed in the last couple of years (why Helly sold out his Stanley Cup dream for the big bucks in the only place he could get them)

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
After a quick tour through the Isles board, it seems Pulock is a player that could be had fairly cheap. Long term deal. I know we once drooled over him, but have those days passed? Perhaps they would take some soon to expire contracts to free cap space.
Pionk and a cheap sweetener.
Apples, Barron, Kupari, Gusty? I think Ehlers or Connor is too much straight up judging by their comments, but HF posters and Lou Lamerillo are completely different minds.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
2 players who can take it to the next level in the playoffs are Morrissey and Lowry ... so those are untouchable.
Scheifele and Connor have proven they can get score in the playoffs ... so no rush in trying to trade them unless you get a huge return.
Hellebuyck you have to keep ... you are asking for trouble if you don't have a good goalie ... ask the Sabres or Devils.
Keep the RFA with good contracts.
All the rest I don't have a problem with not resigning or trading them.
Get a top RH Dman and 2-3 tough Dmen with playoff experience.
Sadly Pionk & Schmidt will be here one more year unless the Jets pay someone to take off their hands.
I see a lot of you want Demelo resigned ... why?
The 2 games I saw him play here in Vancouver he was knock off the puck easily by smaller Canuck forecheckers sorry that does not work in the playoffs as you can see against the Avs this year.
Its time to start playing your rookies too ... get them experience and see what they can do.
Two things that are killing the Jets ... too much loyal and being a small market team where FAs are very difficult to sign.
I see people are starting to blame Chevy too. Seriously he can't put a gun to the top FAs available to come to Winnipeg so how is it his fault?

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
What is it with the players then? Are they uncoachable? They all have good resumes pre-Jets. Most have pretty good resumes with Jets, at least in regular season. They played the first half-season very well, proving that they can be very good in the NHL. Then they seemed to abandon what had been working. That certainly was never visible in the PO so far. None of it. Why?

Meanwhile, Bones gave us exactly what Dallas fans warned us he would bring. Some lineup decisions have been unfathomable, defying all evidence. Which would have been OK if they had worked. But it was his coaching that had them 1st in the league in pts% roughly half way through the season. That would seem to demonstrate that his coaching was working. Did the players abandon what worked or did the coaching staff? Neither makes sense. Why would anyone do that deliberately?

The only things I can see clearly are some of the lineup decisions. Between them and the PO results, I've had enough of Bones. I want him gone, along with any assistant involved with the special teams.

If the problem is in fact the players, then I want them gone too.
Good points and no one knows. It’s a mystery. But this team and most of the players on it were trash in the playoffs under Maurice too, save and except 2018. So I am inclined to say it’s a bit of the coach and a bit of the players. No matter what something is deeply wrong and I no longer trust Chevy to know what is wrong or fix it.

I expect you will get your wish to be rid of Bones at least. After the disgusting (his word) lack of pushback two post seasons in a row and his wife’s health problems I’m sure he calls it a career. Problem is we will end up with Arneil and probably the same assistants. Ugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: