Winnipeg Jets are tied for the 4th longest winning streak (reg season) of all time [anti-whining ordinance in effect]

goosemooseduck

Mar 19, 2009
And you'd be wrong. Winnipeg is the only sub 1 million population city with a team in the league currently.
Rumor has it, some people still don't know difference between city, urban area and metropolitan area.

New York Islanders - Elmont ~ 35K
Florida Panthers - Sunrise - 100K
Utah Hockey Club - Salt Lake City ~ 210K
Buffalo Sabres - Buffalo ~ 280K
Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh ~ 300K
St. Louis Blues - St. Louis ~ 300K
Minnesota Wild - St. Paul ~ 310K
New Jersey Devils - Newark ~ 310K
Anaheim Ducks - Anaheim ~ 350K
Tampa Bay Lightning - Tampa ~ 400K
Carolina Hurricanes - Raleigh ~ 480K
Detroit Red Wings - Detroit ~ 640K
Vegas Golden Knights - Las Vegas ~ 640K
Vancouver Canucks - Vancouver ~ 660K
Boston Bruins - Boston ~ 670K
Washington Capitals - Washington D.C. ~ 680K
Colorado Avalanche - Denver ~ 715K
Nashville Predators - Nashville ~ 715K
Seattle Kraken - Seattle ~ 750K
Winnipeg Jets - Winnipeg ~ 750K
Columbus Blue Jackets - Columbus ~ 915K

Reactions: SaltNPeca

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011
Rumor has it, some people still don't know difference between city, urban area and metropolitan area.

This is disingenuous at best when considering how freaking massive most of the metro areas of these cities compared to Winnipeg. If you tried telling someone that Winnipeg has a bigger population than Vancouver everyone would laugh except for the nerd that pushes up their glasses with the "actually the city proper population of Vancouver is only 660,000". Give me a break.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
We're cup favourites this year truthfully speaking...
just-woke-up-phil.gif

goosemooseduck

Mar 19, 2009
This is disingenuous at best when considering how freaking massive most of the metro areas of these cities compared to Winnipeg. If you tried telling someone that Winnipeg has a bigger population than Vancouver everyone would laugh except for the nerd that pushes up their glasses with the "actually the city proper population of Vancouver is only 660,000". Give me a break.
Easy there genius. Before you pop a vein, tell me why it even matters how big Winnipeg is? Do Jets get extra points for that? In which way that makes them more accomplished? Is it "We deserve more credit because we're tiny"?
Why even bring that up?

Try telling somebody who lives in Huntington Beach that he/she actually lives in Los Angeles, because actual city proper doesn't matter. Because, you know, it's metro that counts.

• Haha
Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

we need to go even farther

97z72w.jpg

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011
Easy there genius. Before you pop a vein, tell me why it even matters how big Winnipeg is? Do Jets get extra points for that? In which way that makes them more accomplished? Is it "We deserve more credit because we're tiny"?
Why even bring that up?

Try telling somebody who lives in Huntington Beach that he/she actually lives in Los Angeles, because actual city proper doesn't matter. Because, you know, it's metro that counts.
It matters because its the population that can be drawn from realistically to attend games. You seem the only one here that's so daft that you don't get it. Glad you don't work in marketing for one of these teams that have a massive metro population to draw from. You'd be ignoring millions of potential customers.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Well, 7 teams in the history of the NHL have done it.

I guess something that happens every 20 years or so might qualify for a thread.
I’m not saying it’s not thread worthy, but wraparound streaks where half the games are in a diff season with different players.. I can see why it doesn’t move the needle for a lot of people.

IMO winning 6 straight in the same season is more impressive than 7 straight where 3 games are in March and 4 are in October, with 4 playoff losses sandwiched in between.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

Seattle's Metro population is almost 4 million. People drive from suburbs like Bellevue and Everett to kraken games. It's literally over the lake or down i5- 20 minute drive depending on traffic. Same with places like Kent, Renton, Bothell, Shoreline even Tacoma depending on traffic. They are an extension of Seattle, just a boundary for government purposes.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
always interesting when a thread spirals out of control based on some small completely irrelevant detail that two posters happen to be extremely passionate about.

In this case apparently it’s the distinction between a municipality and a metropolitan area?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
always interesting when a thread spirals out of control based on some small completely irrelevant detail that two posters happen to be extremely passionate about.

In this case apparently it’s the distinction between a municipality and a metropolitan area?

THERE IS A DISTINCTION AND I'M WILLING TO DROP THE GLOVES OVER IT DON'T PUSH ME!!#!

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Mixing the legendary streaks of the '93 Penguins and the '82 Islanders with weak-sauce streaks from the "no-ties" era of today is a bit disingenuous. Before 2006, the majority of games that went in OT ended up in ties, with no winners. That significantly affects the odds of going on a long streak.

For instance, the Oilers have the second biggest winning streak with 16 wins but in reality, it's a 3-game winning streak. The 4th game would have been a tie under the old rules and was won in a shootout.

That 17 streak by the Penguins in 93 is insane. It just highlights how much that team was stacked. It looks like someone's messing around on the playstation. AND it was coached by the best of all times as well, Scotty Bowman.

Also of note, the Penguins streak was snapped with a tie in the final game of the season, which turned it from a seventeen game winning streak into an eighteen game unbeaten streak.

You’re wrong about the Oilers streak though. After the shootout win, they rattled off twelve more wins, none in the shootout. Far from a record, but certainly not a mere three in a row.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I knew the median HFBoards poster is miserable but this thread is taking it through the roof.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016

When speaking of pro sports team local fanbase pool, metro area population is always used.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Was Pittsburgh’s record also over two seasons?

Personally, I don’t think it makes sense unless it’s one season.

Reactions: Deno

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
1. Top of the division with a game in hand
2. Made the playoffs every year since 2017
3. Best goal scorer in the league, if not the best player outright
4. Physical defensive team
5. Historic franchise with a history of winning
LOL!
I have to ask.
Is this a parody account?

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
Is someone celebrating?

You are completely entitled to view it however you want to view it. The fact is that the Winnipeg Jets have won 14 straight regular season hockey games.

Ackshually they're up to a tie for 7th now.
Someone thought it was thread worthy.

Carbooja

Uncle Salaami
Jun 2, 2011
Brampton, Ontario

I know right? I bailed on trying to convince one of the guys, but hey, he wants to die on his sword, be my guest.

For anyone's wondering, beyond Winnipeg's Metro area, this is what you'll typically see:

1729964216294.jpeg

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Seattle's Metro population is almost 4 million. People drive from suburbs like Bellevue and Everett to kraken games. It's literally over the lake or down i5- 20 minute drive depending on traffic. Same with places like Kent, Renton, Bothell, Shoreline even Tacoma depending on traffic. They are an extension of Seattle, just a boundary for government purposes.
Fascinating, so kinda like every NHL franchise? :sarcasm:

On Topic : Jets are a wagon

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad