Winnipeg Jets are tied for the 4th longest winning streak (reg season) of all time [anti-whining ordinance in effect]

goosemooseduck

Mar 19, 2009
It matters because its the population that can be drawn from realistically to attend games. You seem the only one here that's so daft that you don't get it. Glad you don't work in marketing for one of these teams that have a massive metro population to draw from. You'd be ignoring millions of potential customers.
Again, how does population size correlate with team's performance? I'm not talking about financials.

But OK, lets talk financials. First, it's 2024, not 1980, arena attendance ie sold tickets is not the biggest source of revenue. While it can help, the size of metro population rarely matters these days.

Look at Senators. Their attendance increased by over 30% in 2024 compared to previous seasons (covid years excluded). Did population grow so much too? Nope.

Panthers vs Tampa revenue. Miami metro vs Tampa Bay metro. One is twice the size of another, and Tampa, financially, did considarbly better.

Mega metro areas with more than one team, NY and LA. By "population size matters" logic, both teams in each area should financially perform about the same. But is not even close.

Look at the Sharks. They should perform significantly better (attendance and total revenue) if we go by metro population.

What about Columbus, Buffalo, etc.

And you're right, I'm daft when it comes to marketing, but it seems that some NHL teams are even bigger failures in that field. I guess they should fire their marketing staff and hire you instead.

When speaking of pro sports team local fanbase pool, metro area population is always used.
So what? You can have large metro area with 1 fan out of 100 people and small metro area with 50 fans out of 100 people. It's nearly impossible to measure fan base,. unless you add a question to voting ballots. Or you're trying to say that Rangers and Islanders (or Kings and Ducks) fan bases are equal in size. Afterall they're in the same metro areas.

For anyone's wondering, beyond Winnipeg's Metro area, this is what you'll typically see:
:thumbu: After further examination of evidence submitted by you, I have to concede.
Mea culpa.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Again, how does population size correlate with team's performance? I'm not talking about financials.

But OK, lets talk financials. First, it's 2024, not 1980, arena attendance ie sold tickets is not the biggest source of revenue. While it can help, the size of metro population rarely matters these days.

Look at Senators. Their attendance increased by over 30% in 2024 compared to previous seasons (covid years excluded). Did population grow so much too? Nope.

Panthers vs Tampa revenue. Miami metro vs Tampa Bay metro. One is twice the size of another, and Tampa, financially, did considarbly better.

Mega metro areas with more than one team, NY and LA. By "population size matters" logic, both teams in each area should financially perform about the same. But is not even close.

Look at the Sharks. They should perform significantly better (attendance and total revenue) if we go by metro population.

What about Columbus, Buffalo, etc.

And you're right, I'm daft when it comes to marketing, but it seems that some NHL teams are even bigger failures in that field. I guess they should fire their marketing staff and hire you instead.

So what? You can have large metro area with 1 fan out of 100 people and small metro area with 50 fans out of 100 people. It's nearly impossible to measure fan base,. unless you add a question to voting ballots. Or you're trying to say that Rangers and Islanders (or Kings and Ducks) fan bases are equal in size. Afterall they're in the same metro areas.

:thumbu: After further examination of evidence submitted by you, I have to concede.
Mea culpa.
Not reading all that but NHL is absolutely a gate driven league for revenue

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad