Winnipeg Jets are tied for the 2nd longest winning streak (reg season) of all time [anti-whining ordinance in effect]

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
1. Top of the division with a game in hand
2. Made the playoffs every year since 2017
3. Best goal scorer in the league, if not the best player outright
4. Physical defensive team
5. Historic franchise with a history of winning

1. Under 10 games into the season.

2. Here is your participation trophy.

3. Goal scorer, yes. Best Player... He is maybe the 5th best. McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov, and Makar are better without question.

4. Ok... Maybe, but this feels like adding points to an argument without adding any value.

5. They had a history of winning before 1960. Since then they have a history of being mediocre.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Don't look now but the Leafs are 4th in their division.

goosemooseduck

Mar 19, 2009
Not reading all that but NHL is absolutely a gate driven league for revenue
44% of total revenue, league average. Lets add another 10% for concessions, parking, etc.
And for clarity, difference between smallest and largest arena is only about 30%.

So, again, how does that correlate with population size?

Can Kings squeeze 13 times more people in the arena? Nope. Can they charge more? Yeah they do, but only about 10% in area where average income is twice of what it is in Winnipeg. And cost of running a business 1.5 times higher.
Have Jets the smallest arena in NHL, yes they do. Is that because of the smallest market? Nope.

If you break down demographics in Winnipeg Jets market you'll see that is equivalent of 1.8-2 million people in sunbelt markets due to 'cultural' differences of certain demographic groups.

BTW, congrats on 8th.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Why do people not seem to understand there are 2 separate records being discussed here?
Most regular season games won consecutively in one season VS most regular season won consecutively overall
The first one is more impressive but both are notable

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Not reading all that but NHL is absolutely a gate driven league for revenue

Just for reference because I was surprised just how gate driven the NHL was until I double checked your comment.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
this argument will go on forever.

Those who don't want them to break the record will say it has to be done within one season, not two.

Those who want them to break the record will say it doesn't matter if it happens across two seasons.

The Penguins won 17 regular season games in a row in ONE season, and that is the record.

The Jets won 8 consecutive games at the end of last year and then lost a bunch in the playoffs. Then maybe they win another 10 to start this year... but that won't be 17 wins in a row LMAO

Fact is, the original record was accomplished during ONE regular season, so to break that record, they must also accomplish that in ONE regular season.
Do you think one is more difficult than the other?

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
The winning streak being split between two seasons makes it seem like not a legitimate winning streak tbh. Especially when the Jets lost in the playoffs effectively ending that winning streak.
By chance does your favorite team hold that record?......come on shock me.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
This is some top tier delusion holy moly

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
this argument will go on forever.

Those who don't want them to break the record will say it has to be done within one season, not two.

Those who want them to break the record will say it doesn't matter if it happens across two seasons.

The Penguins won 17 regular season games in a row in ONE season, and that is the record.

The Jets won 8 consecutive games at the end of last year and then lost a bunch in the playoffs. Then maybe they win another 10 to start this year... but that won't be 17 wins in a row LMAO

Fact is, the original record was accomplished during ONE regular season, so to break that record, they must also accomplish that in ONE regular season.
Hopefully they win 10 more in a row so they own both the single season and wraparound record and everyone can stop complaining

Reactions: TS Quint

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
By chance does your favorite team hold that record?......come on shock me.

Who cares what fan I’m a team of? I just don’t know how a “winning streak” can span two seasons when they lost games in between.

That fact is also why the NHL doesn’t consider this a legitimate winning streak either:

None of the winning streaks that span two seasons (Jets this year, Sabres between 05-06 and 06-07, Panthers in 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 and Bruins in 2022-2023 and 2023-2024) are included on the official record list.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Who cares what fan I’m a team of? I just don’t know how a “winning streak” can span two seasons when they lost games in between.

That fact is also why the NHL doesn’t consider this a legitimate winning streak either:

None of the winning streaks that span two seasons (Jets this year, Sabres between 05-06 and 06-07, Panthers in 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 and Bruins in 2022-2023 and 2023-2024) are included on the official record list.
Who is your favorite team? Come one buddy just say it. You are super attached and it hurts you.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I remember in 1993 the Leafs won 10 in a row and nobody noticed because the focus was on the BlueJays winning the world series.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Site hasn’t quite caught up yet but here are the records for most wins in a row to start a season. No disputing that one. 2 more wins and they’ll be tied for first place.

View attachment 922260

Man those Doug Gilmore leafs teams were pretty good eh. Too bad they can't reincarnate his corpse and make him love social media. The 90s was a different time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad