Winnipeg Jets are tied for the 2nd longest winning streak (reg season) of all time [anti-whining ordinance in effect]

goosemooseduck

Mar 19, 2009
It matters because its the population that can be drawn from realistically to attend games. You seem the only one here that's so daft that you don't get it. Glad you don't work in marketing for one of these teams that have a massive metro population to draw from. You'd be ignoring millions of potential customers.
Again, how does population size correlate with team's performance? I'm not talking about financials.

But OK, lets talk financials. First, it's 2024, not 1980, arena attendance ie sold tickets is not the biggest source of revenue. While it can help, the size of metro population rarely matters these days.

Look at Senators. Their attendance increased by over 30% in 2024 compared to previous seasons (covid years excluded). Did population grow so much too? Nope.

Panthers vs Tampa revenue. Miami metro vs Tampa Bay metro. One is twice the size of another, and Tampa, financially, did considarbly better.

Mega metro areas with more than one team, NY and LA. By "population size matters" logic, both teams in each area should financially perform about the same. But is not even close.

Look at the Sharks. They should perform significantly better (attendance and total revenue) if we go by metro population.

What about Columbus, Buffalo, etc.

And you're right, I'm daft when it comes to marketing, but it seems that some NHL teams are even bigger failures in that field. I guess they should fire their marketing staff and hire you instead.

When speaking of pro sports team local fanbase pool, metro area population is always used.
So what? You can have large metro area with 1 fan out of 100 people and small metro area with 50 fans out of 100 people. It's nearly impossible to measure fan base,. unless you add a question to voting ballots. Or you're trying to say that Rangers and Islanders (or Kings and Ducks) fan bases are equal in size. Afterall they're in the same metro areas.

For anyone's wondering, beyond Winnipeg's Metro area, this is what you'll typically see:
:thumbu: After further examination of evidence submitted by you, I have to concede.
Mea culpa.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Again, how does population size correlate with team's performance? I'm not talking about financials.

But OK, lets talk financials. First, it's 2024, not 1980, arena attendance ie sold tickets is not the biggest source of revenue. While it can help, the size of metro population rarely matters these days.

Look at Senators. Their attendance increased by over 30% in 2024 compared to previous seasons (covid years excluded). Did population grow so much too? Nope.

Panthers vs Tampa revenue. Miami metro vs Tampa Bay metro. One is twice the size of another, and Tampa, financially, did considarbly better.

Mega metro areas with more than one team, NY and LA. By "population size matters" logic, both teams in each area should financially perform about the same. But is not even close.

Look at the Sharks. They should perform significantly better (attendance and total revenue) if we go by metro population.

What about Columbus, Buffalo, etc.

And you're right, I'm daft when it comes to marketing, but it seems that some NHL teams are even bigger failures in that field. I guess they should fire their marketing staff and hire you instead.

So what? You can have large metro area with 1 fan out of 100 people and small metro area with 50 fans out of 100 people. It's nearly impossible to measure fan base,. unless you add a question to voting ballots. Or you're trying to say that Rangers and Islanders (or Kings and Ducks) fan bases are equal in size. Afterall they're in the same metro areas.

:thumbu: After further examination of evidence submitted by you, I have to concede.
Mea culpa.
Not reading all that but NHL is absolutely a gate driven league for revenue

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Well, no matter how you view it, they have won 13 regular season games in a row.
this argument will go on forever.

Those who don't want them to break the record will say it has to be done within one season, not two.

Those who want them to break the record will say it doesn't matter if it happens across two seasons.

The Penguins won 17 regular season games in a row in ONE season, and that is the record.

The Jets won 8 consecutive games at the end of last year and then lost a bunch in the playoffs. Then maybe they win another 10 to start this year... but that won't be 17 wins in a row LMAO

Fact is, the original record was accomplished during ONE regular season, so to break that record, they must also accomplish that in ONE regular season.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg

Those who don't want them to break the record will say it has to be done within one season, not two.

Those who want them to break the record will say it doesn't matter if it happens across two seasons.

The Penguins won 17 regular season games in a row in ONE season, and that is the record.

The Jets won 8 consecutive games at the end of last year and then lost a bunch in the playoffs. Then maybe they win another 10 to start this year... but that won't be 17 wins in a row LMAO

Fact is, the original record was accomplished during ONE regular season, so to break that record, they must also accomplish that in ONE regular season.
You use the word fact, when in fact you should be using the word opinion. You aren't the final word on this, no matter how Main Character you feel you are.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know there's an anti-whinning ordinance but will anyone actually take the record seriously if it ends up longer than a one season record? Great start to this season. Congrats on probably being the best team in the league right now. That's it.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I know there's an anti-whinning ordinance but will anyone actually take the record seriously if it ends up longer than a one season record? Great start to this season. Congrats on probably being the best team in the league right now. That's it.
I honestly don't care if anyone takes it seriously. Like I said previously in this thread, it's just a fun stat. Everyone is so salty about it and it's pretty funny to be honest. But even if you don't look at the combined season streak, the Jets are still 3rd on the all-time list of wins to start a season. Can't argue that one.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

Whoa - we got the king of record rules here.

That’s not how the record works. I guess you’re just gonna have to cope - if they end up breaking it.

Not liking how a record works doesn’t entitle you to define it by rules you like. lol.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Well, three wins in 3 on 3 OT can be something that can be brought up. I kid! I kid!
I’ll also wait for the whiners to complain about the teams they faced on this streak….dont let me down Debbie downers.
IMG_8433.gif

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
The Jets are in record territory.
They are about to play the Leaf's who have home ice advantage in Winnipeg. I'll never understand why people that are born in Winnipeg cheer for the Leafs but this is what they do.
The Leafs have dominated the Jets over the last few years.
Jets go 9 0 0.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
The Jets are in record territory.
They are about to play the Leaf's who have home ice advantage in Winnipeg. I'll never understand why people that are born in Winnipeg cheer for the Leafs but this is what they do.
The Leafs have dominated the Jets over the last few years.
Jets go 9 0 0.
I'm going to that game, hopefully I don't get to see the end of the streak!

Reactions: Deno

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The winning streak being split between two seasons makes it seem like not a legitimate winning streak tbh. Especially when the Jets lost in the playoffs effectively ending that winning streak.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The winning streak being split between two seasons makes it seem like not a legitimate winning streak tbh. Especially when the Jets lost in the playoffs effectively ending that winning streak.
It's not even really the same team. You have like 20% turnover generally every offseason.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Site hasn’t quite caught up yet but here are the records for most wins in a row to start a season. No disputing that one. 2 more wins and they’ll be tied for first place.

IMG_6786.jpeg

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Well, no matter how you view it, they have won 13 regular season games in a row.

Do those points get added to this years pts total? If not--then it is not a legit streak. Unless they also won 16 games in the playoffs? So they have suffered loses during the time of this streak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad