OT: Winnipeg ICE sold - Moving to Wenatchee, Washington renamed Wenatchee Wild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
How is the parking by the arena? Last year I was able to snag free parking all the time (although I think they may have been paid lots, I never got ticketed and no one was there collecting payment), but I’m bringing some cash tonight in case I’m stuck paying.

I have been to most Winnipeg ICE home games during their existence and I've never paid for parking once.

Unlike with Bomber games when the campus and surrounding neighbourhoods are basically one big no parking zone unless you pay to park or have the necessary pass, ICE (as with Valour games) you can park damn near anywhere as long as it isn't marked as a 24 hour spot or a loading zone.

There are tons of free parking options that are within a 3-10 minute walk. U lot and A lot are my go-tos.

And in other news...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I have been to most Winnipeg ICE home games during their existence and I've never paid for parking once.

Unlike with Bomber games when the campus and surrounding neighbourhoods are basically one big no parking zone unless you pay to park or have the necessary pass, ICE (as with Valour games) you can park damn near anywhere as long as it isn't marked as a 24 hour spot or a loading zone.

There are tons of free parking options that are within a 3-10 minute walk. U lot and A lot are my go-tos.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll look for that. Enjoy the game tonight.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
ICE game was fun, tough loss though.

Unfortunately, I think Seattle wins the league this year. This is a concerning loss for the ICE. At home, Seattle played yesterday, they’re missing Lambert and Dach, and one of their best players (Ciona) was thrown out five minutes in.

Unbelievably, it looks like management made the same mistake two years in a row. Last year I lamented them for doing basically nothing while Edmonton loaded up. This year, they did more, which is nice, but I still think they let Seattle win the arms race. They brought in a couple of decent upgrades in Armstrong and Lattimer, and overpaid significantly for Ostapchuk who is a good player and a welcome addition, but not enough. They blew their load on him when they could’ve used at least another upgrade or two.

Maybe I’ll think differently tomorrow when the loss isn’t as fresh, but it’s frustrating to see them get outmanoeuvred at the deadline twice now.

Still, they played a tight game that could’ve gone either way, so I’m not writing them off. I just think when you have everything going your way like they did today that you have to make a statement game and they decidedly did not do that.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020

Unfortunately, I think Seattle wins the league this year. This is a concerning loss for the ICE. At home, Seattle played yesterday, they’re missing Lambert and Dach, and one of their best players (Ciona) was thrown out five minutes in.

Unbelievably, it looks like management made the same mistake two years in a row. Last year I lamented them for doing basically nothing while Edmonton loaded up. This year, they did more, which is nice, but I still think they let Seattle win the arms race. They brought in a couple of decent upgrades in Armstrong and Lattimer, and overpaid significantly for Ostapchuk who is a good player and a welcome addition, but not enough. They blew their load on him when they could’ve used at least another upgrade or two.

Maybe I’ll think differently tomorrow when the loss isn’t as fresh, but it’s frustrating to see them get outmanoeuvred at the deadline twice now.

Still, they played a tight game that could’ve gone either way, so I’m not writing them off. I just think when you have everything going your way like they did today that you have to make a statement game and they decidedly did not do that.

Great synopsis of the game.

It was a heartbreaker of a loss for sure. It wasn't the best game that the ICE have played this season, but they played well enough to win, and they got a point so at least there's that in terms of looking on the bright side.

With regard to the trade deadline, yes, it's hard to shake the feeling that despite emptying the cupboards, the team still got outgunned at the GM table. Ostapchuk provides some size and grit to go with his finesse, but as with last year it feels like the ICE are still a bit vulnerable on the back end. They have two very offensive-minded players anchoring their defensive corps (Lambos and Zloty) but they lack a prototypical big, tough stay at home D man. Prosofsky brings a bit of toughness but his skill set is a bit limited. Woo has amazing potential but he's still learning and growing. Graham Sward on his own just isn't enough of an addition, but maybe Wyatt Wilson will shore things up whenever he actually recovers and gets into the lineup.

I thought the ICE made a good move at the deadline in 2020 when they got Dawson Barteaux. He is exactly what they needed in 2022 and 2023 but that big, rugged defenceman never came those seasons... meanwhile last season Edmonton landed Guhle and Prokop... either of those two would have made a massive difference for the ICE. And now Seattle has Prokop. Anyway, like I said, hopefully Wilson can be that guy but I'm afraid that it won't be enough.

Looking at the bigger picture though, is it foolish to play the deadline game? After all, the ICE got a solid top six forward in Ty Nash for a third rounder back in September. To get a player of that calibre in January probably would have cost at least one roster player, a prospect and a couple of picks. The Winnipegger in me likes the deal that the ICE got back in the fall.

Anyway, as to the game last night, even though the ICE were behind at various points in the game, it never felt like they were in way over their heads the way it sometimes did when they played the Oil Kings last season, so that was reassuring. Like I said, the game was winnable, although I concede that this was without Lambert and Dach, and with Ciona out of the game early. Either way, the ICE didn't help themselves with a lot of penalties in the first half of the game resulting in a lot of penalty kill action (they did kill an early 5 on 3 situation so there's that, at least) and then giving up a SHG. So special teams were a bit of an issue.

And the winning goal was a bit painful as the ICE's golden boy this season, Zach Benson, who must have been absolutely gassed by that point, turned the puck over to Seattle on the rush leading to a 2 on 1 the other way. Adding to that, Benson just couldn't get back to the ICE end fast enough to give the D-man a hand (I think it was Zloty?). It was a bitter way for the game to end, for sure. I'm sure he was pissed off, he didn't even come out for his third star honours which is unusual for a guy like him who is almost always smiling and affable.

Even though the home team lost, it was a fun night at the ICE Cave and there was definitely a playoff vibe in the building. There was a good crowd with people really into the game. It's just too bad that, as with their games vs. Edmonton last season, they couldn't deliver the big win over the top contender in front of the home crowd.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada

I think the Ice will be fine lol. Is Seattle the better roster? Yeah, but it’s not far off. The ice actually addressed a lot of the concerns I had with their team after the Edmonton series. As the poster below said, it felt like they were in over their head against the Oil Kings, and the Seattle game felt anything but. Getting Armstrong, Latimer and Ostapchuk the ice really improved the size of their forwards. They kept the skill but now they should be much harder to play against. Their defence is a question mark but I believe their top 4 can compete against any team. As we saw against Seattle, they’re basically going to not play their 4th line and 3rd pair so I wouldn’t be concerned. I thought Graham Sward has been PHENOMENAL the last 2 games. He’s shown me things we haven’t seen before. His confidence looks extremely high and he’s made a difference. Prosofsky continues to be a really solid WHLer, and Woo is very solid for his age. Zloty (when he is selfish with the puck) and Lambos (brain farts) are both prone to make dumb mistakes, but they also make up for it in other areas.

Let’s not forget that Seattle had more assets to spend going into this season as the ice have put all their chips in for last season and this season. 2 years sustained run at a cup is impressive.

Let’s not pretend Allan and Dach (and now returning from serious injury) aren’t incredibly overrated. Ice can also rely on the other West teams to beat each other up. They really shouldn’t lose to anyone in the East.

If you wanna talk about a bigger concern, it’s probably that Savoie and Geekie have not taken the expected steps forward. However, this is mitigated by Benson being Benson.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think the Ice will be fine lol. Is Seattle the better roster? Yeah, but it’s not far off. The ice actually addressed a lot of the concerns I had with their team after the Edmonton series. As the poster below said, it felt like they were in over their head against the Oil Kings, and the Seattle game felt anything but. Getting Armstrong, Latimer and Ostapchuk the ice really improved the size of their forwards. They kept the skill but now they should be much harder to play against. Their defence is a question mark but I believe their top 4 can compete against any team. As we saw against Seattle, they’re basically going to not play their 4th line and 3rd pair so I wouldn’t be concerned. I thought Graham Sward has been PHENOMENAL the last 2 games. He’s shown me things we haven’t seen before. His confidence looks extremely high and he’s made a difference. Prosofsky continues to be a really solid WHLer, and Woo is very solid for his age. Zloty (when he is selfish with the puck) and Lambos (brain farts) are both prone to make dumb mistakes, but they also make up for it in other areas.

Let’s not forget that Seattle had more assets to spend going into this season as the ice have put all their chips in for last season and this season. 2 years sustained run at a cup is impressive.

Let’s not pretend Allan and Dach (and now returning from serious injury) aren’t incredibly overrated. Ice can also rely on the other West teams to beat each other up. They really shouldn’t lose to anyone in the East.

If you wanna talk about a bigger concern, it’s probably that Savoie and Geekie have not taken the expected steps forward. However, this is mitigated by Benson being Benson.
Yeah, there aren't really any threats in the East except for maybe Red Deer and Saskatoon, but the ICE have handled both. I expect them to get to the final. They're much closer matched with Seattle than they were with Edmonton, but I still see Seattle going over them. They were more aggressive than the ICE and I think it'll pay off. Hope I'm wrong. I liked the ICE's moves more this year than last year. Last season, they made a few meh upgrades but basically conceded to Edmonton. This year, at least they made a splash with Ostapchuk, regardless to whether or not I think they overpaid.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Yeah, there aren't really any threats in the East except for maybe Red Deer and Saskatoon, but the ICE have handled both. I expect them to get to the final. They're much closer matched with Seattle than they were with Edmonton, but I still see Seattle going over them. They were more aggressive than the ICE and I think it'll pay off. Hope I'm wrong. I liked the ICE's moves more this year than last year. Last season, they made a few meh upgrades but basically conceded to Edmonton. This year, at least they made a splash with Ostapchuk, regardless to whether or not I think they overpaid.
To be fair there were also a million penalties that game so we don’t really know anything for sure…and it’s also really dangerous to make any assumptions off one game. Regardless, the ICE are right there. Hopefully we get that series. It’s just too bad it’ll be at the worst arena in the CHL. (Unless Chipman and Fettes can work out a deal, which seems unlikely.)

Reactions: snowkiddin

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020

Great analysis, Halfy. Your closing note does get at the elephant in the room... Savoie and Geekie are very good players, but they have not really taken the next step into truly great players. Particularly Geekie. With his size and talent I would have expected him to be a more dominant force than he is. This team would look different if one of them had really taken that next step. I'm sure they'll evolve into solid professionals but it's probably going to take longer than expected.

And yeah, the ICE were incredibly lucky to get Zach Benson with the 14th overall pick, his performance has been exceptional and makes up for any Geekie/Savoie production shortcomings relative to expectations. He works hard at both ends of the ice and from a fan standpoint, he is the most exciting player to watch night after night.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Great analysis, Halfy. Your closing note does get at the elephant in the room... Savoie and Geekie are very good players, but they have not really taken the next step into truly great players. Particularly Geekie. With his size and talent I would have expected him to be a more dominant force than he is. This team would look different if one of them had really taken that next step. I'm sure they'll evolve into solid professionals but it's probably going to take longer than expected.

And yeah, the ICE were incredibly lucky to get Zach Benson with the 14th overall pick, his performance has been exceptional and makes up for any Geekie/Savoie production shortcomings relative to expectations. He works hard at both ends of the ice and from a fan standpoint, he is the most exciting player to watch night after night.
Benson is worth the $20 to attend

Reactions: jetsmooseice

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
To be fair there were also a million penalties that game so we don’t really know anything for sure…and it’s also really dangerous to make any assumptions off one game. Regardless, the ICE are right there. Hopefully we get that series. It’s just too bad it’ll be at the worst arena in the CHL. (Unless Chipman and Fettes can work out a deal, which seems unlikely.)
HEY! Don't talk bad about accesso ShoWare Center! :sarcasm:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
It's worth noting that Moose Jaw has beaten the ICE twice this season. They are the only team in the Eastern Conference that I'd be a bit worried about. They match up well against the ICE in terms of sheer offensive firepower, and they have good defence anchored by Denton Mateychuk, along with decent goaltending. They are incredibly effective at neutralizing the ICE offence to a degree that no one else in the league can equal.

I personally would rather that the ICE just play all their games at Wayne Fleming. Let's face it, even in the playoffs last year the ICE still had to resort to gimmicks like discounts to fill the arena for the first couple of rounds. It was really only the conference final where the place filled up without having to do those things. And as small as the rink is, the atmosphere is great when it's full The last thing I would want is a playoff game at CLC with 3,000 people in the stands giving it all of the atmosphere of a Tuesday night Moose vs. Iowa regular season matchup.

Reactions: Halfy

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
God, if y’all haven’t had a chance to watch an ICE game, go out. This Benson kid is ridiculous.

4 points so far tonight.

62 in 36. Tied for 2nd in league scoring with Cristall.

27 points on his current 12 game point streak.

And he’s just having fun now. Tried a Zegras pass today 😂 (defender broke Savoies stick in half)

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
It's nice to see the ICE winning big again. That's two 8 goal games in a row. Although two games vs Moose Jaw this weekend should be a pretty good test for the ICE, the Warriors have had Winnipeg's number to some extent this season.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
It's nice to see the ICE winning big again. That's two 8 goal games in a row. Although two games vs Moose Jaw this weekend should be a pretty good test for the ICE, the Warriors have had Winnipeg's number to some extent this season.
Yeah, the ICE schedule REALLY softens up after January ends. Lots of games against PA, Edmonton and those bottom teams. 9 vs just EDM, MH and PA.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Nice to see the ICE pull out the win in the shootout but it's not a great sign that they blew a 2-0 lead to push it into extra time. Like I've said before, the Warriors seem to have the ICE's number. MJ is a good team but on paper the ICE should have them beat.

Also, I LOLed at Korczak getting clowned by Hauser in the shootout.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
ICE were a special teams machine today with goals on the PP (2) and PK (2). MJ played reasonably well today but the ICE had answers for everything, it was great to see. I liked Ty Nash's game today, not just the goal but lots of big hits, he played a really physical game. What a steal he has turned out to be.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Pure domination. Looked like Moose Jaw had trouble sleeping the night before.

Everyone played well, but teams are still coming up empty with answers for Savoie and Benson. Savoie almost had a goal of the year candidate against Mateychuk. Dangled him out of his skates. Puck went five hole but missed the net. Seems Savoie is rounding into form with all the confidence he’s getting.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Looks like the Seattle game was the wake up call that the Ice Needed. Hopefully we can meet in the championship (and hopefully the showare center doesn't book the arena for high school graduations, like it did last year :|)

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Pure domination. Looked like Moose Jaw had trouble sleeping the night before.

Everyone played well, but teams are still coming up empty with answers for Savoie and Benson. Savoie almost had a goal of the year candidate against Mateychuk. Dangled him out of his skates. Puck went five hole but missed the net. Seems Savoie is rounding into form with all the confidence he’s getting.

Yeah, that play happened right in front of me, lots of gasps when he did that. Worth noting that he was a very busy faceoff man yesterday given that he's the only guy on the team who can occasionally beat Korczak. ;)

I know I was pretty hard on Geekie and Sav up the thread, but I guess it has more to do with how they have been living up to their initial hype. But yeah, if you look at the stat sheet they are more than holding their own on a pretty stacked team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad