Proposal: Winnipeg-Buffalo Wheeler for Skinner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
WTF is this crap? Why would the Jets trade their well respected captain, who has been one of the faces of the franchise since Jets 2.0 began, who only has 3yrs left at less salary for Jeff f’n Skinner with 6 yrs left?

OP can you please explain? Did Whees steal your girlfriend or run over your dog or something? Because if not you should be losing all privileges to ever propose a trade again on HF

Reactions: snowkiddin

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Wheeler is still a good hockey player, just not near as good as Maurice thinks he is.

Very true

Wheeler is still a useful player when played properly by the coach…..PMO doesn’t use him properly sadly. Wheeler should be playing 2nd line usage 5vs5 and PP to take advantage of weaker match ups, he shouldn’t be played vs the other teams top lines ideally

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
WTF is this crap? Why would the Jets trade their well respected captain, who has been one of the faces of the franchise since Jets 2.0 began, who only has 3yrs left at less salary for Jeff f’n Skinner with 6 yrs left?

OP can you please explain? Did Whees steal your girlfriend or run over your dog or something? Because if not you should be losing all privileges to ever propose a trade again on HF

Wheeler ran over the OPs girlfriend and stole his dog. You were close though!

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Considering their respective ages, I think it might be a deal worth considering if both players had the same number of years left on their deals...

But with Skinner signed through 2027, I can't imagine Winnipeg being interested in such a move

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
No way the Jets do this for multiple reasons.
Also, Wheeler has a no movement clause.
No way he'd consent to go the Sabres.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
seemed awful at first, but Wheeler is 35. Skinner isn't exactly young though, at 29, and he has some rough miles on him. So far this season Skinner is doing much better.

I would still say the Jets say no. But it is at least somewhat interesting.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
seemed awful at first, but Wheeler is 35. Skinner isn't exactly young though, at 29, and he has some rough miles on him. So far this season Skinner is doing much better.

I would still say the Jets say no. But it is at least somewhat interesting.
Wheeler makes less money and has 2 years left on his contract. Skinner has 5 years after this year left. It would be a terrible move for the Jets to make that trade when they are already at the cap and need to give a raise to Dubois after this year and try to find a way to keep Copp who is going to get paid after this year.

How exactly would this be at all interesting to the Jets.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Wheeler makes less money and has 2 years left on his contract. Skinner has 5 years after this year left. It would be a terrible move for the Jets to make that trade when they are already at the cap and need to give a raise to Dubois after this year and try to find a way to keep Copp who is going to get paid after this year.

How exactly would this be at all interesting to the Jets.
at 35, that's quite old for a forward. I did say the Jets so no btw, and the reason was the contract stuff.

Skinner is quite underrated on these boards. He became a poster boy for how awful the Sabres were, but when he signed that deal he scored 40 goals. He's off to a hot start. There's talent there.

Like all contract issues, if the player is good, a bad contract can be workable. I don't know what the Jets' cap situation is, but adding an effective scorer has got to at least be somewhat interesting. I haven't watched the Jets this year tbh, so I don't know how Wheeler is looking. The stats aren't there but that isn't everything.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
14 points in 53 games last season.

Only makes 9 mil a season.

Has 5 years left on his contract after this year.

Sign! Me! Up!

member 334057

Skinner is quite underrated on these boards. He became a poster boy for how awful the Sabres were, but when he signed that deal he scored 40 goals. He's off to a hot start. There's talent there.
He's not really underrated at all. He's been a liability on the ice most of the games he's played this season. His most consistent ability seems to be turning the puck over. He's also pacing for a 20 goal, 41 point season which would be by far his best season since his 40 goal year. I'm not sure what happened to his game but he doesn't even remotely resemble the player that signed that massive contract.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
He's not really underrated at all. He's been a liability on the ice most of the games he's played this season. His most consistent ability seems to be turning the puck over. He's also pacing for a 20 goal, 41 point season which would be by far his best season since his 40 goal year. I'm not sure what happened to his game but he doesn't even remotely resemble the player that signed that massive contract.
Sadly I have to agree with this entire thing. I was holding out hope that we would get a rejuvenated Skinner the past couple years - but that probably needed Eichel centering him full time. It hasn't happened and its not coming. So the way I cope is to pray we get that 41 point season, justify a $4.5M salary in my head and therefore we're only flushing another $4.5M down the toilet, rather than the full $9M we've lit afire each year since that 40-goal season.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
We'd have to add at least two firsts to Skinner in addition to him waiving his nmc which won't happen since he picked Buffalo based on proximity to Toronto.

Now how the hell do you pay over 9 million to a player who really just wants to be close to Toronto you say?
Well we're talking about the same GM that took a negative return for ROR.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
at 35, that's quite old for a forward. I did say the Jets so no btw, and the reason was the contract stuff.

Like all contract issues, if the player is good, a bad contract can be workable. I don't know what the Jets' cap situation is, but adding an effective scorer has got to at least be somewhat interesting. I haven't watched the Jets this year tbh, so I don't know how Wheeler is looking. The stats aren't there but that isn't everything.

You really live up to your username "Mr. Positive" :)

I don't think he's underrated at all. He is what he is: A unidimensional winger who has not much else to his game than a shot.
His best seasons were always feeding off elite linemates... like Eichel, Eric Staal or Sebastien Aho.

Over a 785 games career, he's pacing for 28 goals, 22 assists -> 50 pts per year. Has crossed 30 goals 4 times out of 11 seasons, and has completely crashed since not playing with Eichel. Paid 9M per year. His "Hot start" would put him at a 20g-20a pace... Wheeler has a slower start, but he was also out with Covid and only played in 6 games - 1 year removed from being near ppg.

Regardless of contracts, this is bad for the Jets. I'm not sure in what world they would entertain trading Wheeler out for Skinner. maybe in a world where Skinner is paid league minimum and Wheeler 10M per year...

Edit: Jet fans can decide if I'm wrong or not, but imo a Wheeler trade that would make the most sense for the Jets would be futures or players in that 19-23 years range (contract aside, I'm thinking a guy like Kotkaniemi for example). A player whose currently worst than Wheeler, and potentially would always be worst than Wheeler, but that gives them the cap space to sign everyone and young, cheap depth.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
As a Jets fan.....at first my answer was no.
But upon taking a closer look......NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad