OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (7-6) - No notes needed. - Next at EDM Sept 21 600pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whileee

May 29, 2010
An important win but the Bombers really lack convincing strength on either side of the ball.

Hope Streveler is okay, but what exactly does he add that any 3rd string QB can't (Bombers didn't lose anything on short yardage without him). Seems like an unwise investment.

Bombers LB play is really mediocre, with or without Bighill. Their DBs are carrying the D along with Jefferson's occasional brilliance.

Wolitarsky looks like he's still struggling with his injury. I wonder if it's ribs or some other torso injury that gets dinged with big hits.

Bombers need to find some way to mix in a pass rush with their DB coverage focused strategy. Good teams are going to learn to pick them apart without some variations.

Castillo is on 🔥.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Hope Streveler is okay, but what exactly does he add that any 3rd string QB can't (Bombers didn't lose anything on short yardage without him). Seems like an unwise investment.

Dare I say... Swagger? 😯
(sorry, I was a season ticket holder during Swaggerwille, I'm still slightly traumatized by the hubris/fall that year.)

I think the hope was that Strev would be able to run an offense if Collaros went down with his NFL 'experience'... Turns out he didn't really improve his throwing game much over the last few years, even with theoretically world-class coaching. But he did enough to help the Bombers win the 1 game he played start to finish, so that could be the difference getting us a bye/home playoff game...

Is that alone worth his $? Maybe... Could Wilson have won that game, or some alternative backup? Not sure.

In 1 game sudden death playoffs, I'll take any slight advantage.

I'd have personally preferred Dru Brown (at the very least in a split starter role), but Collaros was too far from retirement and has a guaranteed contract, wasn't fair to Brown to stay a backup here.

I do think Collaros is still one of the best top hurry up offense qb's in the league - he does very well with clock management in general. But he's not in his prime any more...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Dare I say... Swagger? 😯
(sorry, I was a season ticket holder during Swaggerwille, I'm still slightly traumatized by the hubris/fall that year.)

I think the hope was that Strev would be able to run an offense if Collaros went down with his NFL 'experience'... Turns out he didn't really improve his throwing game much over the last few years, even with theoretically world-class coaching. But he did enough to help the Bombers win the 1 game he played start to finish, so that could be the difference getting us a bye/home playoff game...

Is that alone worth his $? Maybe... Could Wilson have won that game, or some alternative backup? Not sure.

...he
I'd have personally preferred Dru Brown (at the very least in a split starter role), but Collaros was too far from retirement and has a guaranteed contract, wasn't fair to Brown to stay a backup here.

I do think Collaros is still one of the best top hurry up offense qb's in the league - he does very well with clock management in general. But he's not in his prime any more...
I'm a bit confused by what they expect from wilson... he looked awful in preseason and usually qbs that have potential come in and light it up then plateau once they are in serious games... aka maker

Really baffling why there is not another QB on the PR knowing that collaros and strev have both been knicked all season

Reactions: FonRiesen

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Don't have time to watch the full game yet - so this is based on highlights and just the fourth quarter

Randolph has a steep learning curve at LT but I like his game - definite heir apparent to Bryant
Lofton - he has moments but its been half a season of him not being able to handle a bull rush then spin... I don't see what there is to lose by trying Vanterpool
Interior was okay - Neufeld wasn't the disaster I thought...

Ayers looks like he played most of the game with some Griffin - honestly I'd rather have Gauthier.. Ayers/Griffin look paralyzed out there and Harris knew how to abuse them - not sure I wouldn't move Tony Jones to MAC
I'm sure those deep balls would not have happened with Biggie knowing when to pressure the QB
Tony Jones is a god - I like his game more and more - and yes I am a Kramdi convert
I don't mind the 3 man rush at all... but it relies on our MLB knowing when to apply pressure

Was Richie Hall sick when our D was so dominant? Because that's deep deep soft soft coverage... thank god for scouting...

Credit to Jake Thomas - he pushed the line...

The line on that Strev play was a mess - they outnumbered Sask but no one knew who to take...
Strev is done for the season imo - who are we parachuting in? Tyrell Pigrome, Darren Grainger, Prukop?

Vanterpool looked like he was looking for a catch on the Lawler TD... bet we see that before season ends

Offence is what it is...

Reactions: snowkiddin

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Dare I say... Swagger? 😯

I think there are opportunity costs to investing in Streveler who really doesn't seem likely to be able to step in (despite the unusual ground-based attack he led in one game).

He's actually been stuffed on a few QB dive plays, which is supposed to be his unique advantage. He's looked really shaky whenever he's in a passing play. Collaros has to stay healthy.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Winning is covering up for some problems on both O and D. The O has trouble sustaining drives and O line is in flux. D linebacking core is not up no snuff though Tony Jones has played well, and D line can't get pressure consistently. PK big big plus P is terrible worst in the league by far. In the end the only thing that matters is your position in the standings I guess.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Winning is covering up for some problems on both O and D. The O has trouble sustaining drives and O line is in flux. D linebacking core is not up no snuff though Tony Jones has played well, and D line can't get pressure consistently. PK big big plus P is terrible worst in the league by far. In the end the only thing that matters is your position in the standings I guess.
I think the D line can be more effective but Younger's D is now almost exclusively rushing 3 and relying on coverage. Good teams with talent are going to exploit the time. Elks might give the Bombers some trouble if they give BT and his receivers lots of time.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think the D line can be more effective but Younger's D is now almost exclusively rushing 3 and relying on coverage. Good teams with talent are going to exploit the time. Elks might give the Bombers some trouble if they give BT and his receivers lots of time.
Ford is starting. Announced it yesterday that Ford will start after the bye. It's too bad this Bombers secondary would have feasted on Bethel-Thompson. Bombers struggle with QBs that can move in general.

I find the hand wringing about the D kinda ridiculous. This is a dominant defensive team. Lead the league in almost all stats, except sacks, maybe rush D as early on we struggled but it's been great lately.

The question marks are all on O. This O is dead last in the CFL in most categories except rushing yards, the least impactful offensive stat. Until we can establish something resembling a competent passing attack I'm still unsure we can go from pretender to contender.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ford is starting. Announced it yesterday that Ford will start after the bye. It's too bad this Bombers secondary would have feasted on Bethel-Thompson. Bombers struggle with QBs that can move in general.

I find the hand wringing about the D kinda ridiculous. This is a dominant defensive team. Lead the league in almost all stats, except sacks, maybe rush D as early on we struggled but it's been great lately.

The question marks are all on O. This O is dead last in the CFL in most categories except rushing yards, the least impactful offensive stat. Until we can establish something resembling a competent passing attack I'm still unsure we can go from pretender to contender.
I'm more worried about the offense too, but that's why I think the Bombers' potential rests on the D. I think the past couple of games have shown that the D can be susceptible to a good passing offense if they don't mix in more pressure, especially when it boils down to a single game knockout. I also think the LB group is a bit underwhelming. Maybe it's strategic and the Bombers will mix it up more in future key games, including the playoffs.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm more worried about the offense too, but that's why I think the Bombers' potential rests on the D. I think the past couple of games have shown that the D can be susceptible to a good passing offense if they don't mix in more pressure, especially when it boils down to a single game knockout. I also think the LB group is a bit underwhelming. Maybe it's strategic and the Bombers will mix it up more in future key games, including the playoffs.
Imo, it's gameplan dependant. The Bombers seemed to have ALOT of respect for Harris' ability to get the ball out quick. Veteran guy who can release it quick can just eat blitzes alive if done right. It's clear based off their comments in the media that they were concerned about that possibility.

Which is why I think they sat back. It really worked other than two explosion plays yesterday. The only times they seemed to get burned on Labour Day was when they brought pressure, Harris was great at hitting the hot routes. The last TD Sask scored as the most obvious example.

It'll very game to game. I'm just not seeing much to concern with in the past 3 games defensively. Of course they were never going to keep up allowing 100 offensive yards, that was always unrealistic.

SimpleSimon

Nov 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
@snowkiddin Damn you for constantly talking about reading the Riders fan forum. Now you have me doing it. It's quite hilarious though, those morons actually think the refs helped the Bombers in this one...insanity. And they've somehow convinced themselves that DT Brown isn't a dirty POS and that the hit on Streveler was legal. Delusional.
Interesting geography lesson on Saskatchewan: Little Manitou Lake is a high salinity lake located in Saskatchewan. Swimmers are able to float with ease using no inflatable support devices. The lake was formed from the drainage and collection of copious amounts of salty tears from the many Roughrider fans found in Saskatchewan.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I get were going into a bye, but super surprised Bombers haven't added a 4th QB yet. If for nothing else, get a 4th guy in the building to learn the O, get him some film time. I get most players are away this week recovering but the new guy wouldn't need the week away, get him learning before practice resumes next week

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I get were going into a bye, but super surprised Bombers haven't added a 4th QB yet. If for nothing else, get a 4th guy in the building to learn the O, get him some film time. I get most players are away this week recovering but the new guy wouldn't need the week away, get him learning before practice resumes next week
Agreed. And would it be too late (or maybe not depending on the US because I forget when some NFL cuts might come) to look at adding another OL and DL? OL just for depth, but for the DL it sure would be nice to improve the pass rush (not saying there are necessarily a ton of options to air lift in).

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Agreed. And would it be too late (or maybe not depending on the US because I forget when some NFL cuts might come) to look at adding another OL and DL? OL just for depth, but for the DL it sure would be nice to improve the pass rush (not saying there are necessarily a ton of options to air lift in).
NFL cuts have come and gone. But there's alot of movement in NFL PRs/edges of the rosters over first week or two as teams nail things down. Alot of guys would rather stay FA's right now than lock down in CFL and close options. CFL teams are loading up PRs around now. I expect Bombers will come out of bye up 3-5 players on PR early next week.

Also, and I honestly can't believe I'm saying it, Taylor Cornelius might be an option for BB though. Big guy, can handle short yardage. And going into playoffs if Streveler is out I think I'd rather Cornelius who at least has gotten used to CFL speeds vs a Wilson or raw CFL rookie who hasn't thrown a real pass in 2-4 years between years after bouncing on NFL camps. This D has to carry them even with Zach anyways.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
NFL cuts have come and gone. But there's alot of movement in NFL PRs/edges of the rosters over first week or two as teams nail things down. Alot of guys would rather stay FA's right now than lock down in CFL and close options. CFL teams are loading up PRs around now. I expect Bombers will come out of bye up 3-5 players on PR early next week.

Also, and I honestly can't believe I'm saying it, Taylor Cornelius might be an option for BB though. Big guy, can handle short yardage. And going into playoffs if Streveler is out I think I'd rather Cornelius who at least has gotten used to CFL speeds vs a Wilson or raw CFL rookie who hasn't thrown a real pass in 2-4 years between years after bouncing on NFL camps. This D has to carry them even with Zach anyways.
Sorry, yeah that's what I as thinking, when do the guys that are still trying to get on NFL PR's decide to maybe sign a CFL contract? Has that come and gone as well? I'd love to add another DL for sure, and an extra OL couldn't hurt.

I don't know a lot about TC, but I guess you could do a lot worse than a guy who's actually played in the CFL if you're looking for a guy who can handle short yardage. Not that you ever want to go to your backup, but is there anyone out there that would give you the "hope" they could move the ball in case the unfortunate happens (I'm not going to type it...).

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Might not be too late, but might be too expensive.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sorry, yeah that's what I as thinking, when do the guys that are still trying to get on NFL PR's decide to maybe sign a CFL contract? Has that come and gone as well? I'd love to add another DL for sure, and an extra OL couldn't hurt.

I don't know a lot about TC, but I guess you could do a lot worse than a guy who's actually played in the CFL if you're looking for a guy who can handle short yardage. Not that you ever want to go to your backup, but is there anyone out there that would give you the "hope" they could move the ball in case the unfortunate happens (I'm not going to type it...).

Usually around now teams start loading up. I saw at least 2/3 teams add 4/5 guys last week. Didn't see it with the Bombers though.

Might not be too late, but might be too expensive.
These would be PR guys, there's no starters out there among NFL cuts, other than maybe a Good-Jones type (has CFL experience). Very few if any of those out there.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Long recovery is understating it i feel like. One ligament tear takes a few months to come back from, but three?

Given the timing of this i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't miss most of 2025 as well.

Bummer and i do hope the Bombers are working the phones to try and get a backup. Collaros has already been dinged up and they don't have anyone else remotely prepared to step in with Strevy going down.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Benny27

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
1726063180410.png

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad