OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (7-6) - No notes needed. - Next at EDM Sept 21 600pm

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
To me he’s an upgrade over Clercius, hands down. As Holden outlined in his post, Clercius has crazy upside as a National, but he’s raw as hell and seems to be struggling to grasp the offense. I understand giving him some reps early, but I think it’s time to move him to a backup role. Ratio is not a factor, cap space shouldn’t be a factor either with all the injuries.

OL for sure but there are so rarely any quick fixes that become available during the season. Maybe Micah Vanterpool off the PR?
Sheed doesn't have enough upside Vs Canadians(no way around it), talent and need. He's the 6th receiver at best.

Reactions: WolfHouse

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Agreed on all points.

Particularly with the OL, that's the biggest problem when you fumble the off-season there. There's just no quick fixes. At almost every other position you can air lift in a guy that helps. Very rarely can you do that at OL. The bodies just aren't out there that can provide an instant lift. Particularly at a Canadian position like C or G. Look at David Knevel in BC. This guy is hot trash at the CFL level. Everyone and their mother knows it. But just a lack of competition means he still has a job (he's been benched to a backup role but still).

The Bombers had to move an American in at G to help their line. It blows up your ratio though. Luckily the Bombers are overloaded with quality Canadians, most teams can't swing their ratio on a dime like the Bombers can.

Point being, there's not much out there to be found at this time of year. We got what we got. I doubt long term the Bombers want 3 Americans on their OL, but they seem to have no trust in Eli nor do they think rookie Gabe Wallace is not ready for prime time. Don't think money is an issue to improving OL, it's straight that the talent isn't out there to be had. So if they got some extra money, may as well throw it around where it can help.

But looping back to where this started, I highly doubt the hold up with Bailey is money. He'll probably take whatever deal he can at this point being a 31 year old WR who just got KOd off a team lacking in high quality WRs (IMO). Bailey's always been mostly just "role player" rather than a feature player. Like a Adam Lowry if you want a hockey example, he's not going to break the bank at all.
We had 11 starting Canadians but using an American at guard blows the ratio? Calm down. The best offensive lineman needs to play because we have 11 starting Canadians (for the vast majority of the season) so you use the best players you can. The Bombers weakest spot is OL, so you do your best to improve the weakest position. Not at receive where you are running 8 deep.

And again does Bailey start in 3 weeks? I don't understand any likely situation where the answer is yes.

Lawler, Wilson, Lucky, Walitarsky (N) Demski (N). Is Sheed significant upgrade over Lucky? iMO he is worse. Does he improve the screen play? Probably not.

Sheed might be an upgrade blocking in a play or two a game...maybe. but who cares?

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We had 11 starting Canadians but using an American at guard blows the ratio? Calm down. The best offensive lineman needs to play because we have 11 starting Canadians (for the vast majority of the season) so you use the best players you can. The Bombers weakest spot is OL, so you do your best to improve the weakest position. Not at receive where you are running 8 deep.

And again does Bailey start in 3 weeks? I don't understand any likely situation where the answer is yes.

Lawler, Wilson, Lucky, Walitarsky (N) Demski (N). Is Sheed significant upgrade over Lucky? iMO he is worse. Does he improve the screen play? Probably not.

Sheed might be an upgrade blocking in a play or two a game...maybe. but who cares?
Huh? I said the Bombers could and did adjust already to 3 American OL. They could do it thanks to those 11 starting Canadians.

I'm saying there's no other talent money can buy at OL that will help. Americans are cheap and there's no Canadian talent just sitting around.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Just for funsies, I did scrape through 3DownNation's article on "Canadians and former CFL players in NFL training camps in 2024" to look at the OL talent currently in training camps to see if there's anyone that could theoretically come back north of the border if they get cut in the next few weeks, but doesn't seem like there's any likely candidates (or would probably go the Desjarlais route and just continue hopping around practice squads until next year):

POSPlayer (CFL Nationality)NFL TeamCFL RightsDescription
OLAlaric Jackson (N)Los Angeles RamsB.C. LionsThe Windsor, Ont. native made 15 starts at left tackle for the Rams last season as part of an offensive line that allowed 34 sacks, which tied for the sixth-fewest in the NFL. Jackson will make $4.89 million this year on a one-year contract extension he signed in April and is expected to earn a huge raise for 2025 if he has another strong campaign protecting Matthew Stafford’s blindside.
OLAnim Dankwah (N)Philadelphia EaglesToronto ArgonautsThe six-foot-eight, 353-pound blocker signed with the Eagles after going unselected in the 2024 NFL Draft. Born in Ghana before moving to Brampton, Ont. for high school, Dankwah was a three-year starter for Howard University in Washington, D.C. at left tackle, allowing a career-low 11 pressures and two sacks as a senior in 2023.
OLCarter O’Donnell (N)Arizona CardinalsEdmonton ElksThe native of Red Deer, Alta. and product of the University of Alberta dressed for five games with the Cardinals last season and made three starts at guard, though he was recently moved to injured reserve after clearing waivers. O’Donnell has been in the NFL since 2020 when he signed with the Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted free agent.
OLDakoda Shepley (N)Dallas CowboysNoneThe six-foot-five, 290-pound native of Windsor, Ont. spent last season on the practice roster with the Colts and Cowboys, not dressing for any regular season games. The 29-year-old has suited up for 13 contests with the San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, and Cowboys since playing for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2019.
OLGiovanni Manu (N)Detroit LionsWinnipeg Blue BombersThe six-foot-seven, 352-pound blocker rocketed up NFL draft boards following a sensational pro day at the University of British Columbia where he ran a 5.03-second forty-yard dash and leaped 33.5 inches in the vertical jump. Manu ended up being selected in the fourth round of the 2024 NFL Draft with Detroit trading up to secure his rights. The two-time second-team U Sports All-Canadian was born and raised in Tonga before moving to Pitt Meadows, B.C. at the age of 11.
OLIsaiah Adams (N)Arizona CardinalsNoneThe native of Ajax, Ont. was a third-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft out of the University of Illinois and is expected to compete for a starting job at guard with the Cardinals this season. The six-foot-four, 316-pound blocker was named third-team All-Big Ten at left guard with the Fighting Illini as a junior before moving to right tackle for his senior season, where he was named an All-Big Ten honourable mention.
OLJulian Good-Jones (A)Washington CommandersNoneThe former Calgary Stampeder made the practice roster with the Philadelphia Eagles last season but was claimed by the Commanders midway through the regular season. The six-foot-five, 319-pound blocker dressed for one regular season game with Washington at guard and has returned to compete for an expanded role with the team this year.
OLKyle Hergel (N)New Orleans SaintsSaskatchewan RoughridersThe Toronto native got $20,000 in guaranteed money to sign with the Saints after going unselected in the 2024 NFL Draft and will look to crack the team’s active roster during training camp. Hergel made 54 collegiate starts at the University of North Dakota, Texas State University, and Boston College, earning conference honours each season, not including his redshirt year.
OLMatthew Bergeron (N)Atlanta FalconsNoneThe native of Victoriaville, Que. was selected No. 38 overall in the 2023 NFL Draft out of Syracuse University and was a full-time starter as a rookie at left guard, playing all 1,129 of the team’s offensive snaps. Atlanta finished the season with the No. 9-ranked rushing attack with 127 yards per game and tied for No. 12 league-wide in sacks allowed with 40.
OLSidy Sow (N)New England PatriotsSaskatchewan RoughridersThe six-foot-five, 323-pound native of Bromont, Que. started 13 games for New England as a rookie after being selected in the fourth round of the 2023 NFL Draft out of Eastern Michigan University. The 26-year-old is currently projected to start at right guard this season as part of the new-look Patriots under head coach Jerod Mayo.
OLTheo Benedet (N)Chicago BearsB.C. LionsThe six-foot-seven, 295-pound blocker became one of the most decorated offensive linemen in the history of U Sports while playing at the University of British Columbia, winning back-to-back J. P. Metras Trophies. He received $100,000 in guaranteed money to sign with the Bears after going unselected in the 2024 NFL Draft and is listed at right tackle on Chicago’s depth chart to start training camp.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Just for funsies, I did scrape through 3DownNation's article on "Canadians and former CFL players in NFL training camps in 2024" to look at the OL talent currently in training camps to see if there's anyone that could theoretically come back north of the border if they get cut in the next few weeks, but doesn't seem like there's any likely candidates (or would probably go the Desjarlais route and just continue hopping around practice squads until next year):

POSPlayer (CFL Nationality)NFL TeamCFL RightsDescription
OLAlaric Jackson (N)Los Angeles RamsB.C. LionsThe Windsor, Ont. native made 15 starts at left tackle for the Rams last season as part of an offensive line that allowed 34 sacks, which tied for the sixth-fewest in the NFL. Jackson will make $4.89 million this year on a one-year contract extension he signed in April and is expected to earn a huge raise for 2025 if he has another strong campaign protecting Matthew Stafford’s blindside.
OLAnim Dankwah (N)Philadelphia EaglesToronto ArgonautsThe six-foot-eight, 353-pound blocker signed with the Eagles after going unselected in the 2024 NFL Draft. Born in Ghana before moving to Brampton, Ont. for high school, Dankwah was a three-year starter for Howard University in Washington, D.C. at left tackle, allowing a career-low 11 pressures and two sacks as a senior in 2023.
OLCarter O’Donnell (N)Arizona CardinalsEdmonton ElksThe native of Red Deer, Alta. and product of the University of Alberta dressed for five games with the Cardinals last season and made three starts at guard, though he was recently moved to injured reserve after clearing waivers. O’Donnell has been in the NFL since 2020 when he signed with the Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted free agent.
OLDakoda Shepley (N)Dallas CowboysNoneThe six-foot-five, 290-pound native of Windsor, Ont. spent last season on the practice roster with the Colts and Cowboys, not dressing for any regular season games. The 29-year-old has suited up for 13 contests with the San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, and Cowboys since playing for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2019.
OLGiovanni Manu (N)Detroit LionsWinnipeg Blue BombersThe six-foot-seven, 352-pound blocker rocketed up NFL draft boards following a sensational pro day at the University of British Columbia where he ran a 5.03-second forty-yard dash and leaped 33.5 inches in the vertical jump. Manu ended up being selected in the fourth round of the 2024 NFL Draft with Detroit trading up to secure his rights. The two-time second-team U Sports All-Canadian was born and raised in Tonga before moving to Pitt Meadows, B.C. at the age of 11.
OLIsaiah Adams (N)Arizona CardinalsNoneThe native of Ajax, Ont. was a third-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft out of the University of Illinois and is expected to compete for a starting job at guard with the Cardinals this season. The six-foot-four, 316-pound blocker was named third-team All-Big Ten at left guard with the Fighting Illini as a junior before moving to right tackle for his senior season, where he was named an All-Big Ten honourable mention.
OLJulian Good-Jones (A)Washington CommandersNoneThe former Calgary Stampeder made the practice roster with the Philadelphia Eagles last season but was claimed by the Commanders midway through the regular season. The six-foot-five, 319-pound blocker dressed for one regular season game with Washington at guard and has returned to compete for an expanded role with the team this year.
OLKyle Hergel (N)New Orleans SaintsSaskatchewan RoughridersThe Toronto native got $20,000 in guaranteed money to sign with the Saints after going unselected in the 2024 NFL Draft and will look to crack the team’s active roster during training camp. Hergel made 54 collegiate starts at the University of North Dakota, Texas State University, and Boston College, earning conference honours each season, not including his redshirt year.
OLMatthew Bergeron (N)Atlanta FalconsNoneThe native of Victoriaville, Que. was selected No. 38 overall in the 2023 NFL Draft out of Syracuse University and was a full-time starter as a rookie at left guard, playing all 1,129 of the team’s offensive snaps. Atlanta finished the season with the No. 9-ranked rushing attack with 127 yards per game and tied for No. 12 league-wide in sacks allowed with 40.
OLSidy Sow (N)New England PatriotsSaskatchewan RoughridersThe six-foot-five, 323-pound native of Bromont, Que. started 13 games for New England as a rookie after being selected in the fourth round of the 2023 NFL Draft out of Eastern Michigan University. The 26-year-old is currently projected to start at right guard this season as part of the new-look Patriots under head coach Jerod Mayo.
OLTheo Benedet (N)Chicago BearsB.C. LionsThe six-foot-seven, 295-pound blocker became one of the most decorated offensive linemen in the history of U Sports while playing at the University of British Columbia, winning back-to-back J. P. Metras Trophies. He received $100,000 in guaranteed money to sign with the Bears after going unselected in the 2024 NFL Draft and is listed at right tackle on Chicago’s depth chart to start training camp.
Maybe snag Noah Zerr off Sask's PR?

Curious what the story on Jamal Campbell is... He hasn't really started since his injury but I mean Lofton really had only one starting season until now

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Shepley and Good-Jones are pretty much at the point that they need to make a main roster or be done in NFL. But outside of that the rest are locked into roster or protected rights to other teams. I have heard both are having good camps but its hard to say.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Wonder what the snap percentage was for Thomas... felt like I didn't see him out there a whole lot

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Just finished my rewatch. The defence was phenomenal.

Garbutt makes a big difference. Having a legit DE opposite of Willie meant BC couldn’t just double or triple team him all night and take him out of the game. When they double-teamed him, Garbutt was causing issues, so they often just left Willie in one-on-ones and he absolutely dominated.

I tried explaining this to the haters on Reddit — the Bombers being down to practice squad players on the DL was obviously going to affect them. I was met with “meh everyone deals with injuries!!!!!!” but that’s being purposefully dense. The injuries the Bombers have had so far this year is insane. Getting one of our backup DEs in rather than a practice squad player made a big difference. Rotating him and Haba will help even more.

And even when the pressure wasn’t there, the secondary was playing surprisingly great coverage all night. They held a high-powered BC passing game in check all night.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Just finished my rewatch. The defence was phenomenal.

Garbutt makes a big difference. Having a legit DE opposite of Willie meant BC couldn’t just double or triple team him all night and take him out of the game. When they double-teamed him, Garbutt was causing issues, so they often just left Willie in one-on-ones and he absolutely dominated.

I tried explaining this to the haters on Reddit — the Bombers being down to practice squad players on the DL was obviously going to affect them. I was met with “meh everyone deals with injuries!!!!!!” but that’s being purposefully dense. The injuries the Bombers have had so far this year is insane. Getting one of our backup DEs in rather than a practice squad player made a big difference. Rotating him and Haba will help even more.

And even when the pressure wasn’t there, the secondary was playing surprisingly great coverage all night. They held a high-powered BC passing game in check all night.
Don't have time for a rewatch - but how much were Thomas and Schmeck out there... our 3-man rush was always either Adams/Woods

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Don't have time for a rewatch - but how much were Thomas and Schmeck out there... our 3-man rush was always either Adams/Woods
Yeah, didn’t seem like they were out there too often. Thomas more than Schemeckel

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Rewatching the game because it's too hot to work

Randolph noticeable asap in a good way
Case sucks - he has lanes and doesn't have burst
Think the game plan was a Josh Johnson breakout game and didn't
Ford superhero play - no pressure on VA just TF making a play
Wilson is now zac's outlet
The Wilson catch breaks BC...
Sheahan is bad
Clerxius underestimated as blocked
100% streveler is hurt - we didn't pay a premium for a short yardage QB
That being said why don't we have a QB on the PR...
Adams and Fox are good.
Replay reinforcing my fanboidom of Tony Jones - another Chris Jones gift to the league
Thomas washed every down - havent seen schmeck
Demski sent a message in the first half...
Yup straight to Johnson to open 2nd half... and it's just not there
Terrible punting - come on - I'd say his holding is Castillo issue as well
Onside kick makes zero sense I'm sorry
Possession kills the BC D
Glen suitor has a very good point about moving mcinnis for hatcher
The plays where we use bighill as a spy/basically extra DL are good plays... who's in for Thomas?
Clercius finally targeted... mid 3rd - we don't need Bailey because his routes/ blocking has been off the charts
Did VA fake an injury...?????
Did I say case sucks

End of third - BC D is gassed and VA overthinking. Game over

I'd keep clercius over Johnson or Bailey... how can we go import DTs... Jones is awesome

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Still thinking that the amount of time our offense had the ball and BC's defense on the field was the key. Then our defense comes on the field rested and BC's offense can't get anything going against our rested defense. Just keep doing that Bombers .:nod:

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Rewatching the game because it's too hot to work

Randolph noticeable asap in a good way
Case sucks - he has lanes and doesn't have burst
Think the game plan was a Josh Johnson breakout game and didn't
Ford superhero play - no pressure on VA just TF making a play
Wilson is now zac's outlet
The Wilson catch breaks BC...
Sheahan is bad
Clerxius underestimated as blocked
100% streveler is hurt - we didn't pay a premium for a short yardage QB
That being said why don't we have a QB on the PR...
Adams and Fox are good.
Replay reinforcing my fanboidom of Tony Jones - another Chris Jones gift to the league
Thomas washed every down - havent seen schmeck
Demski sent a message in the first half...
Yup straight to Johnson to open 2nd half... and it's just not there
Terrible punting - come on - I'd say his holding is Castillo issue as well
Onside kick makes zero sense I'm sorry
Possession kills the BC D
Glen suitor has a very good point about moving mcinnis for hatcher
The plays where we use bighill as a spy/basically extra DL are good plays... who's in for Thomas?
Clercius finally targeted... mid 3rd - we don't need Bailey because his routes/ blocking has been off the charts
Did VA fake an injury...?????
Did I say case sucks

End of third - BC D is gassed and VA overthinking. Game over

I'd keep clercius over Johnson or Bailey... how can we go import DTs... Jones is awesome
We have QB Wilson on the PR.
VAJ injury looked for real to me. Contorted pretty awkwardly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00