OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (7-6) - No notes needed. - Next at EDM Sept 21 600pm

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Took a quarter for the Bombers offence to remember that they don't have a lot of time to let plays develop and stop letting Collaros getting unnecessarily hit, and they got in a good rhythm. Hopefully a Lawler return means more TDs than FGs - but still think that offensive line needs help, especially on the right side. Lucky looks like he brought the good vibes back that was sorely missing for a bit, though, and was productive as well. A solid showing.

BC's offensive line sure didn't look any better though, with VAJ holding on to the ball so he could try to get it to Hatcher instead of going through his reads, and ended up getting hurt for it. The HBs and CBs though - wow, what a game from them, and especially Ford: could easily see why he got a look in the NFL with the Packers, just great reads all night. And Holm's closing speed (as Suitor noted) shone tonight as well with VAJ being so slow on his reads, if he didn't disrupt the pass he stopped any YAC.

Big sigh of relief going into the bye week, and now (unfortunately) BC loses VAJ and has to go with Dolegala for the foreseeable future. Could be three losses in a row and then facing the prospect of losing the season series against the Bombers after starting 5-2. Such is life in the CFL.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Bombers play like that and own time of possession they can beat any team in the league , great game especially at home.

Reactions: sipowicz

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
teams need to stop throwing to Tyrell Ford’s side of the field. This guy is just getting started. TSN doesn’t even have him listed on their box score. Stats are just embarrassing for this league.

Have the Bombers ever had a better group of receivers? There are 8 good receivers on this team.

Reactions: sipowicz

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
teams need to stop throwing to Tyrell Ford’s side of the field. This guy is just getting started. TSN doesn’t even have him listed on their box score. Stats are just embarrassing for this league.

Have the Bombers ever had a better group of receivers? There are 8 good receivers on this team.
Nichols is on the other side, they gotta throw somewhere. :biglaugh:

This secondary is special. Apparently Alexander has been battling an injury as well, might be why he hasn't been that amazing. Kramdi has been lights out the past 3 games as well. Then you have Ford-Holm on the field side, both of whom have been getting better each game this year. Bonds-Nichols on the boundary had some early season wavers but have really come together. Even #32 Muchael Griffin, a backup DB has started to come on and play quite well.

If the Bombers can get more up front out of DL like they did last night, this D is as good as 21 or 19 Bombers it would seem.

I still retain question marks about the offense.

But damn this morning feels so much better. A shutout in the CFL. And like BC never even had a chance to score, outside of the one that was a ~50 yard FG they passed on to try an onside kick. Dominant.

Rumours of Bombers demise have been greatly exaggerated, IMO. Just need to string some W's together and get into the dance. Bomber fans of all ppl know how random November can be.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
A few observations:

For the first time all season the Bombers started only eight (min. number) Canadians (usually it has been 10 or 11) so it allowed them to put the American, Randolph, at right guard. He played very well and with his play allowed Lofton at RT and Kolankowski at C to play or, at least, look better. Now if they would swap Kolankowski out for Eli, the O-line would be really formidable. It's a start. Neufeld the usual RG is on the 6-game IR and I would be surprised to see him starting again this season. Collaros had more time. By the way, I noticed that Randolph looks a lot more svelte than the guy he replaced.

It looked like BC's O planned for a different look from the Bomber D. Younger seems to have faked them out with more of a three-man front with more dropping back into pass coverage. The three-man front meant less reps for Thomas (that's a good thing, IMO). It turned out that Vermin Adams Jr and the BC offensive brain trust were faked out and couldn't adjust.

As a punter, Sheahan has nice hair and holds the ball well for Castillo. He should be replaced. (Can Castillo handle all of the kicking duties?)

I was more than pleasantly surprised by the Bombers play. Playoffs are still down the road but if they can keep up this type of play, they should sneak in and since this is the CFL, anything can happen.

2001 Grey Cup: Stamps (8-10) 27 - Bombers (14-4) 19.

Go Blue Go!

Impressive win. Really good showing for Collaros. It will be really impressive if the Bombers turn their season around and win the Cup. They have enough time to turn things around and get healthy, and then anything can happen in the CFL.
Definitely agree about the CFL and anything can happen.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Took a quarter for the Bombers offence to remember that they don't have a lot of time to let plays develop and stop letting Collaros getting unnecessarily hit, and they got in a good rhythm. Hopefully a Lawler return means more TDs than FGs - but still think that offensive line needs help, especially on the right side. Lucky looks like he brought the good vibes back that was sorely missing for a bit, though, and was productive as well. A solid showing.

BC's offensive line sure didn't look any better though, with VAJ holding on to the ball so he could try to get it to Hatcher instead of going through his reads, and ended up getting hurt for it. The HBs and CBs though - wow, what a game from them, and especially Ford: could easily see why he got a look in the NFL with the Packers, just great reads all night. And Holm's closing speed (as Suitor noted) shone tonight as well with VAJ being so slow on his reads, if he didn't disrupt the pass he stopped any YAC.

Big sigh of relief going into the bye week, and now (unfortunately) BC loses VAJ and has to go with Dolegala for the foreseeable future. Could be three losses in a row and then facing the prospect of losing the season series against the Bombers after starting 5-2. Such is life in the CFL.
Last night, I thought the the O-line played the best that it has all season. Could the insertion of the American, Randolph, at RG in place of the oft-injured, near the end of his career Neufeld have made a difference? The weak link on the line now, IMO, is at C, where Kolankowski,, who I think is too small, could be replaced by Eli, another Canadian, who was a standout C during his uni days.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Any word on bringing Rasheed Bailey back? I’ve still got high expectations for Kevens Clercius, but to me we need another downfield weapon in the offense, and Clercius isn’t (yet) the kind of player that defenses need to account for.

Great win, gives me guarded optimism for the rest of the season. How they respond in the rubber match against BC - their 5-3 record looks like a smoke and mirrors show - will tell me a lot about whether this was a mirage or if the Bombers truly are back from the dead.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I was so very wrong with my expectations for this game.

D has been excellent for a few weeks. Garbutt has definitely made a difference. Biggie even played well.

Offense had more motion, played faster.

Now to convert some of those field goals into TD's.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
While I would love to see Bailey back with the Bombers I don't really think he is a need anymore with Lucky showing he can still play Lawler close to coming back and Keric showing well in limited time

Reactions: Huffer

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Missed most of the game (family visiting from MB: my brother is an NFL-only kind of guy, but he managed to withhold his usual snark at least), so I only saw highlights and the end of the 4th.

Oliveira had some great runs. Lucky Whitehead should have been in sooner, and nice to see Collaros somehow surviving a collapsing pocket a couple of times and even get a run! Also noticed Demski's big catch ended with him bear hugging that pigskin... Glad he realized that hanging onto the ball after the catch is as important as catching it... 😏

D destroyed the #1 offense in the league... Some kind of switch got flipped in the last couple of weeks, I guess? VAJ looked panicked in most of the replays, at the slightest pressure he was just trying to escape instead of making a play. Rough injury for him, too. I wonder if BC's O underestimated the Bombers...

This win breathes some life into the season - gotta build on it, though. It's amazing what happens when Collaros has 3+ legitimate targets.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Any word on bringing Rasheed Bailey back? I’ve still got high expectations for Kevens Clercius, but to me we need another downfield weapon in the offense, and Clercius isn’t (yet) the kind of player that defenses need to account for.

Great win, gives me guarded optimism for the rest of the season. How they respond in the rubber match against BC - their 5-3 record looks like a smoke and mirrors show - will tell me a lot about whether this was a mirage or if the Bombers truly are back from the dead.

I've been high on Clercius since pre-draft (you can check the receipts on this thread). But he's really struggling with alignment out there. He is consistently lost setting up. Bombers got an illegal procedure cause he was on the wrong side and had to burn a timeout. And there was 5-8 different times yesterday Collaros had to yell at him to switch sides/move on/off the line. He is a work in progress still.

I'm scared Bombers are going to taking Lucky off the roster when Lawler returns. Bombers could start 4 American WRs as they only need 7 Canadian starters (plus a nationalized American of which they have like a half dozen) and even last game they started 8. But Lucky played only around 30-35% of the snaps on O yesterday. They seem to really love that Josh Johnson. Played every snap, tons of targets.

Point is I think the Bombers will emerge from the bye with...
Johnson-Demski-Wilson-Lawler-Clercius
Backup: Case

When it could be...
Bailey-Demski-Wilson-Lawler-Whitehead
Backups: Case, Clercius

Last edited:

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012

I don’t see the room for Bailey. He’s never been a down field threat. Maybe Johnson’s spot. Josh Johnson can catch the ball. I liked the screens they used to get the ball in his hands. He’s only 24. I’m not sure how much adding Sheed even improves the team. Does Sheed still play when Lawler comes back? If the Bombers are going to invest more money into a spot I’d rather it go to the OL

Reactions: Huffer

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I've been high on Clercius since pre-draft (you can check the recipes on this thread). But he's really struggling with alignment out there. He is consistently lost setting up. Bombers got an illegal procedure cause he was on the wrong side and had to burn a timeout. And there was 5-8 different times yesterday Collaros had to yell at him to switch sides/move on/off the line. He is a work in progress still.

I'm scared Bombers are going to taking Lucky off the roster when Lawler returns. Bombers could start 4 American WRs as they only need 7 Canadian starters (plus a nationalized American of which they have like a half dozen) and even last game they started 8. But Lucky played only around 30-35% of the snaps on O yesterday. They seem to really love that Josh Johnson. Played every snap, tons of targets.

Point is I think the Bombers will emerge from the bye with...
Johnson-Demski-Wilson-Lawler-Clercius
Backup: Case

When it could be...
Bailey-Demski-Wilson-Lawler-Whitehead
Backups: Case, Clercius
Johnson is really not wowing me. Maybe I'll re-watch and see if he's blocking or something... I agree that Bailey would be a good choice

Lucky has not lost a step - can we get him returning kicks... don't see any burst from Case at all

I liked Randolph's game - he looks big out there... Dobson seemed like the new weakest link

Garbutt looks good - can we please get another DE on the PR though?

Really like Tony Jones game - think he brings the speed that Wilson was lacking - pushes plays to the middle and allows Bighill to spy a lot more

Still not sure about our long snapping this year

A lot more aggressive play calling by Younger

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
I don’t see the room for Bailey. He’s never been a down field threat. Maybe Johnson’s spot. Josh Johnson can catch the ball. I liked the screens they used to get the ball in his hands. He’s only 24. I’m not sure how much adding Sheed even improves the team. Does Sheed still play when Lawler comes back? If the Bombers are going to invest more money into a spot I’d rather it go to the OL
To me he’s an upgrade over Clercius, hands down. As Holden outlined in his post, Clercius has crazy upside as a National, but he’s raw as hell and seems to be struggling to grasp the offense. I understand giving him some reps early, but I think it’s time to move him to a backup role. Ratio is not a factor, cap space shouldn’t be a factor either with all the injuries.

OL for sure but there are so rarely any quick fixes that become available during the season. Maybe Micah Vanterpool off the PR?

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Johnson is really not wowing me. Maybe I'll re-watch and see if he's blocking or something... I agree that Bailey would be a good choice

Lucky has not lost a step - can we get him returning kicks... don't see any burst from Case at all

I liked Randolph's game - he looks big out there... Dobson seemed like the new weakest link

Garbutt looks good - can we please get another DE on the PR though?

Really like Tony Jones game - think he brings the speed that Wilson was lacking - pushes plays to the middle and allows Bighill to spy a lot more

Still not sure about our long snapping this year

A lot more aggressive play calling by Younger
Clercius has been the primary blocker as a WR. They move him inside as basically a TE as well. Essentially the old Bailey role. Why I'd like to see them sign Bailey and move Clercius to a backup role for the rest of this year. Clercius is a National and has had flashes catching and blocking that seem very promising, he's got plenty of upside. But he's not quite ready, IMO. Still adjusting to the pro game.

WRs, particularly Canadian WRs, generally take a couple years to develop. Look at Tyson Philpot (year 3 breakout), Justin McInnis (year 4 breakout in 23 into quality player, year 5 into superstar this year), or our very own Nic Demski (year 4 breakout in 2018 into quality player, year 7 breakout in star player in 2022).

Johnson is a bag of nothing to me. He's fine I guess, but I'm not seeing any wow factor or what he's bringing. Honestly the flats/screen role he plays I think can be done by Lucky or any other WR tbh.

Haba is expected back after the bye. So our DEs are going to be Willie, Haba, Garbutt, and Hubert. I'm guessing one of the American DTs Adams or Woods loses his spot on the roster after the bye.

Tony Jones was a guy I was talking about after the game as well. He's come in and played really well, IMO. As you said he's got more range than Kyrie does at this point after Kyries injuries.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
To me he’s an upgrade over Clercius, hands down. As Holden outlined in his post, Clercius has crazy upside as a National, but he’s raw as hell and seems to be struggling to grasp the offense. I understand giving him some reps early, but I think it’s time to move him to a backup role. Ratio is not a factor, cap space shouldn’t be a factor either with all the injuries.

OL for sure but there are so rarely any quick fixes that become available during the season. Maybe Micah Vanterpool off the PR?
Agreed on all points.

Particularly with the OL, that's the biggest problem when you fumble the off-season there. There's just no quick fixes. At almost every other position you can air lift in a guy that helps. Very rarely can you do that at OL. The bodies just aren't out there that can provide an instant lift. Particularly at a Canadian position like C or G. Look at David Knevel in BC. This guy is hot trash at the CFL level. Everyone and their mother knows it. But just a lack of competition means he still has a job (he's been benched to a backup role but still).

The Bombers had to move an American in at G to help their line. It blows up your ratio though. Luckily the Bombers are overloaded with quality Canadians, most teams can't swing their ratio on a dime like the Bombers can.

Point being, there's not much out there to be found at this time of year. We got what we got. I doubt long term the Bombers want 3 Americans on their OL, but they seem to have no trust in Eli nor do they think rookie Gabe Wallace is not ready for prime time. Don't think money is an issue to improving OL, it's straight that the talent isn't out there to be had. So if they got some extra money, may as well throw it around where it can help.

But looping back to where this started, I highly doubt the hold up with Bailey is money. He'll probably take whatever deal he can at this point being a 31 year old WR who just got KOd off a team lacking in high quality WRs (IMO). Bailey's always been mostly just "role player" rather than a feature player. Like a Adam Lowry if you want a hockey example, he's not going to break the bank at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank Chinaski

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
A cardboard cut out is better than Kolankowski, not sure why Eli has not been given a chance. Neuf has struggled this year as his career enters the twilight, Randolph filled in very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00