OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (3-6) - CFL Shutout! Bombers make statement - Next at BC Aug 18 600pm

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Ontaria Wilson was a revelation this game. Hope he can keep it up. Collaros was trusting him in the second half and their chemistry was causing lots of issues for Calgary.

Pierce was smart in the second half, he was running those quick flats that were racking up yards, so Calgary started moving their linebackers away from the box, and that’s when Brady began to feast.

Poor reffing or not, winning a game against a team you’re fighting for a playoff spot with, while starting that many backups is huge.

I think a healthy Bombers team rolls over the Stamps.

Last edited:

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Pierce is probably going to give Collaros his usual 3-4 attempts at a deep ball to the end zone a game (which I'm not sure Zach is... even just barely good at it anymore, honestly), but in retrospect I liked Buck's game plan (even though I think Oliveira still should've gotten the ball earlier* in other ways): lots of quick passes to get CGY to get their secondary out of the box, and then start to let Brady feast on the ground and let Collaros zip the ball to his receivers, of which Wilson was the beneficiary tonight. Still don't like Lofton at that right tackle, but Brady was excellent picking up the blitz or pressure, as per usual.

The defence spotting CGY 10pts in the last 3 minutes of the first half and then bending pretty easily in the second half made this game a lot closer than it should have been - some of that is still seeing Hall's fingerprints all over this defensive scheme by playing so far off the opponents, but some of it is just seeing the historically great players get older. Bighill still has the brains but not the speed, Alexander doesn't have his speed to make up for his average reads anymore, Jefferson looks like he takes plays off on the defensive line (and yes part of that is getting double-teamed all the time), Kramdi is still Kramdi, et cetera. Got the job done in the end, but kind of stupid of Dickenson to give the ball back knowing his offence was otherwise doing pretty good except for that final two plays.

All that being said: the team they beat was Calgary. Kinda felt like two average CFL teams exchanging big plays, as only the CFL could do. Bombers still have a lot of obvious gaps to address, but I'm not sure how you make them without it feeling like a "shake up" to the core of the locker room.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Pierce is probably going to give Collaros his usual 3-4 attempts at a deep ball to the end zone a game (which I'm not sure Zach is... even just barely good at it anymore, honestly), but in retrospect I liked Buck's game plan (even though I think Oliveira still should've gotten the ball in other ways): lots of quick passes to get CGY to get their secondary out of the box, and then start to let Brady feast on the ground and let Collaros zip the ball to his receivers, of which Wilson was the beneficiary tonight. Still don't like Lofton at that right tackle, but Brady was excellent picking up the blitz or pressure, as per usual.

The defence spotting CGY 10pts in the last 3 minutes of the first half and then bending pretty easily in the second half made this game a lot closer than it should have been - some of that is still seeing Hall's fingerprints all over this defensive scheme by playing so far off the opponents, but some of it is just seeing the historically great players get older. Bighill still has the brains but not the speed, Alexander doesn't have his speed to make up for his average reads anymore, Jefferson looks like he takes plays off on the defensive line (and yes part of that is getting double-teamed all the time), Kramdi is still Kramdi, et cetera. Got the job done in the end, but kind of stupid of Dickenson to give the ball back knowing his offence was otherwise doing pretty good except for that final two plays.

All that being said: the team they beat was Calgary. Kinda felt like two average CFL teams exchanging big plays, as only the CFL could do. Bombers still have a lot of obvious gaps to address, but I'm not sure how you make them without it feeling like a "shake up" to the core of the locker room.
Agreed with most of this. The biggest challenge to me right now is the offensive line. The rest of the gaps should work themselves out once we’re healthy. Unfortunately, of course, the o-line is already healthy, so I’m not expecting to see much improvement there — and that’s not good considering how bad they’ve been.

Reactions: Fairview

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Btw even earlier I posted "is Collaros washed". However neither pick tonight was on Collaros, IMO.

Pick #1: Quick in. Was covered well so you can tell Collaros aims it down and outside. However the ball is tipped at the line and ends up inside and mid body height for an easy pick. It's an incompletion without the deflection, IMO.

Pick #2: Demski's got a great man on man matchup against the weak CGY HBs on a deep corner. We've seen this play a thousand times work. Problem is the outside WR on that side decides/is told to run a go. Collaros lays it up where only Demski has a chance in that matchup. He didn't realize that the outside WR runs Calgary CB Tre Roberson straight to the ball underneath the Demski/CGY HB matchup. Either a really bad decision by the WR or the play call.

EDIT: just watched the replay. Actually Roberson just left his guy alone and ran after Demski. Collaros didn't see that. OK so maybe a bit his fault. The WR on that side (I think it was Wilson again) was wide open as Toberson just left him alone to run after Demski.

Really you take out those two INTs, which again I don't think we're his fault, it was a real solid game by him.

Last edited:

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Relatives visiting, couldn't watch live tonight. Even in the replays, the reffing was atrocious... Let alone some of the garbage they didn't show on the recap.

Wilson, where have you been? I hope he'll continue this look - some nice catches. Collaros needs more targets he can trust. Good to see Demski score, too.

That 2 point convert was a good call. Now we win the series vs Calgary (they beat us by 3, we beat them by 4).

Winning is more fun than losing.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Saskatchewan game will be interesting. They’ve looked pretty meh at best, honestly, despite being 4-0. We’ll see if their frauds — hopefully we can get a healthy body or two back.

Reactions: kanadalainen

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Pretty sloppy game but fun to watch

Collaros has to stop forcing throws into double coverage... think we just have to accept loftons bad reads and the fact neufeld should be replaced - had some moments though

DL is looking good but Thomas doesn't get any pressure... again - need the second level to stop the run - not going to bother piling on kramdi because everyone else is

DB starting to look better - Nichols and ford with really nice games - but it's still mostly a Hall soft zone which Adam's and Kelly will pick apart... maier still makes bad decisions but he could emerge by age 30 like Adam's

ST good - receivers and blocking good - running game good - I'd say there's hope if collaros plays within his means and buck utilizes strev/oliviera

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Re-watched the game this morning and the stripes were even worse then it seemed they were live.

That whole sequence of blowing down the play on Demski’s catch, then not calling PI in the end zone, and then CALLING PI on the Bombers on the next drive for an identical play, was just bullocks.

What a poorly officiated game.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I'm usually one of the more glass half empty people on this thread. But damn a number of you have taken over lol.

I do have my concerns on the team like some of you with the middle of the defense of Bighill and Alexander and Lofton on the Oline.

I just think they have got some good things going over the last two weeks.

They showed they can game plan with Strevler to win a game.

Oliveira has gotten healthy and looking dominant.

I think Ford needs a bit more experience and he is going to be a hell of a db. He got beat a couple times last night but not by much. He's a physical talent out there and once his mind catches up to his body no one will thow the ball within 20 yards of him.

Obviously as a rookie, Wilson took advantage of having Schoen and Lawler out. It was just one big game but I can't wait to see what he does next week when the Sask defense game plans for him. When the Bombers have Lawler, Schoen, Oliveira and Wilson in the line up together what are defenses going to do? This offense is going to be a problem.

I have felt for years the Bombers have been hurt at the end of the year resting their vets along with late bye weeks. These guys haven't seemed to do well not playing. They also didn't play any pre season this year. I think that has been an issue. They have improved the past couple games. I think Collaros didn't forget to play football he just needed to get back into a rhythm and feeling good.

Next week Bombers 37 Riders 10. Band wagon full again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad