OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (0-4) - Well this has happened. What next? - Next vs Ottawa July 5 730pm

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I’m afraid you’re going to go insane, then.
I'm unfortunately aware and already preparing for the inevitability 🤪

1. Why bother calling this a Jordan Younger D - Hall is still up in the booth... except now every play Jake Thomas just gets washed - our DL is starting to gel and its very apparent Thomas is not keeping up - watch pursuit... Thomas is never even close - if we are still playing a Hall D, it needs constant pressure

2. the confusing Buck Pierce play calling... its just really reminiscent of Lapo where he is outthinking himself with playcalls and then ends up keeping Oliviera's usage super basic.

Then add basic clock mismanagement almost every game now... and THEN just baffling calls for the redzone in OT - how does he not go to the Strev/Oliviera option on that last series... and then when he doesn't, there's no quick out for the pressure - its Lapo slow evolving curls that didnt work six years ago
Watching CGY get pressure on Collaros/Streveler through their blitzes compared to WPG was night-and-day difference. I also think Pierce's playcalling and/or schemes don't have a lot of "safety valves" for the QB to go to, and you get awful interceptions like the last one Streveler threw to lose the game last night trying to go the distance to the end zone off his back foot... Demski was the only deep receiver and everyone else ran a 10-yard route to the first down marker - 86 was maybe open but was in Steveler's blindspot and it would've been a long throw and the CGY defender probably could've closed in time - but if any WPG receiver ran a route that was East-West instead of North-South, there would've been a ton of open field to work with, try to force some miss tackles, etc.

I've really been disappointed with Pierce's ability to try to help his QB given the obvious weaknesses (Lofton at RT and the neverending amount of injuries at receiver) - Streveler's rust in throwing the ball just magnified the errors.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If I have to watch Kramdi play another series in which he either loses his guy in coverage or closes too fast and loses his contain and gets beat on speed, I might go insane.

Just when Collaros look like he was shaking his rust from not having played any pre-season games, he gets injured because Dobson stopped blocking his guy and went to double team on the edge rusher and left his QB super vulnerable in a mid-throwing motion. And then Streveler comes in and... looks like he hasn't played any pre-season games as he constantly threw behind his target. (And Buck Pierce didn't help, as he didn't call a rushing play to Oliveira until there was 2:55 left to go in the 3rd quarter. Like... why???)

Bombers are losing winnable games, and while I'm not explicitly pointing to the lack of pre-season games as the pure reason why, it's the most obvious example of their hubris coming back to haunt them. It's embarrassing for a team that we expect to be much, much better than this current display.
"Hubris" is an apt term to describe how the Bombers have been approaching things.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Farhan is speculating that the Bombers are adding Lucky Whitehead. Something needed to happen, Collaros never even targeted anyone outside of Oliveira, Demski, Wolitarsky. They needed help at WR.

Overall what more can be said. The boys aren't getting it done right now. There's no magic formula, no secret. Just gotta back on it and get going. Jump off the bandwagon if you need to, I've been a season holder through worse than this. It'll be interesting to see how the team does when they get healthy, but they can't be 0-6/7/8/9 when that happens.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Farhan is speculating that the Bombers are adding Lucky Whitehead. Something needed to happen, Collaros never even targeted anyone outside of Oliveira, Demski, Wolitarsky. They needed help at WR.

Overall what more can be said. The boys aren't getting it done right now. There's no magic formula, no secret. Just gotta back on it and get going. Jump off the bandwagon if you need to, I've been a season holder through worse than this. It'll be interesting to see how the team does when they get healthy, but they can't be 0-6/7/8/9 when that happens.
I mean a magic baking powder secret is to go import on DL, play Tui over one of the guards, play Cole at SAM and work Oliviera into the playcalling...

Receiver is the least of our problems actually

Reactions: bustamente

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013

They do need some help as the guys that they have now are basically CFL rookie replacements because of injuries to Lawler and Schoen. However, I noticed that Streveler, once he got acclimated, was able to "find" these guys yesterday. Collaros has not been able to, imo, because he seems to focus on his first read, who is usually one of the vets. Im still cheering for the Bombers but I'm concerned that Collaros may be the latest Bo Levi. It happens when one gets older. Hope I'm wrong and all will be ok once the O-line gets straightened out.

Reactions: WolfHouse

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
There is no reason Osh should be starting more than 7 Canadians game in game out and someone needs to curtail his crusade, Thomas and Kramdi are not starters, Ford is coming around. Woli, Demski Olivera and 3 O linemen that all you need.
The O line is bad. Why not try Randolph or Vanterpool at guard?

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
The O line is bad. Why not try Randolph or Vanterpool at guard?
I think that a change needs to be made at the C position. To my eye, it appears that Kolankowski can't handle the position, that is, call the proper alignments/blocking schemes and handle the actual blocking assignments. The opposition is going hard at him and he isn't cutting it. He is the weak link. Collaros will look a lot better if the issue is corrected. Gotta admit that I don’t understand the coaches' infatuation with Kola. Eli in should be a no brainer. Just an opinion of a long-time, diehard fan.

Reactions: SSCBLUEJET and rkp

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
If Collaros is out for any length of time along with Schoen and Lawler this team is going to struggle mightily to put up points unless Streveler, with a week of first reps, settles in and doesn't look as panicky as he did in Calgary. The way this season has started they could be 0-6 or 0-7 really quickly and I'm not sure this group can dig out of that hole if they get healthy again. If Schoen is out for the year I don't think this team makes the playoffs. That will trigger a major overhaul (and rightfully so), but I'll miss this group. They were always really likable during this run.

Reactions: rkp

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Can't remember the last time 3 teams in the CFL were 0-4
It's too bad that the Bombers don't play the other 0-4 teams, Edmonton and Hamilton, until later this season. For this fan, the next two games, both at home, against two of what I consider "weaker" teams (Ottawa and Calgary) will make or break the season. Even with all of the injuries, these are winnable games. Win both and a playoff berth is possible (crossover). Loss both or even one and it's time to start the auditions. Just my opinion.
P.S. I'll still be cheering!

Reactions: bustamente

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Whooooo doggies. This team needs some good replacement players that are on a country club free diet.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay