OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (1-4) - Strevy and the D gets us off the slide - Next vs Calgary July 12 730pm

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I have faith zach will turn it around, unsure about the oline and would be very nice if we didn't spot the other team a touchdown from special teams

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
it feels like these first 2 games were preseason games for our offense with how many players were unavailable during camp, injuries and special teams may kill this season
Really we should still make the playoffs almost by default, so hopefully we’re healthy and on a roll by then. Better to get these games out of the system now (would be even better to not have these games).

I still have faith in the team but my expectations are much more tempered now than I had previously thought.

Reactions: gojetsgo

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Didn't watch the game or listen to it and just watched the "highlights".
Window closed? Between player losses, some bust signings and the already bloated injury list should we maybe be expecting a team that may be good enough to just squeak into the playoffs, but nothing more?
Nice run and I wanted Grey Cups before I die (mission accomplished but even without injuries this team had holes.
I see every game as being a struggle.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Well that was another rough one. This is not the dominant team we've seen ever since the pandemic. Injuries are playing their part, but there's certainly more to it than that. Some adjustments need to be made. I don't think the Bombers are in alot of danger of missing the playoffs just yet, but they'll need to figure out something very fast.

I could post a whole game thoughts thing, but really it's pretty obvious. The offense has to figure it out and fast. Particularly the OL looks really bad here early. The WR's aren't helping at all, and Collaros certainly looks off even when he has time. The whole unit isn't clicking and that needs to change before anything else can happen.

ST needs alot of work yet. But overall they actually did a decent job of containing Dedmon outside of one big return in the first half. Time to bring Chris Smith back in for a look, cause Myron Mitchell is not getting it done.

Defense has surprisingly been the bright spot. Overall solid. Run D is once again a problem and injuries are what to watch out for. Haba, Parker, Fox, Nichols all projected starters who could not play much in this one, that's 1/3 of the guys we thought we'd have starting this year already out of the lineup. Need to continue to find answers here but overall they haven't been letting the team down it's the O.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Flat out it starts with the O line and atm this one is the worst we have put on the field in a long time. ZC does not look very confident in the pocket and his reads are off
Currently there are many things ailing the Bombers but you're right, imo, about the O line. I wasn't impressed with our centre (67) last year and after two games this, I'm even less impressed. He may be consistent with his snaps but there's more to playing the position than that. As a football player, he makes a better matador, a whole lot of ole-ing going on. I don't understand why Eli isn't getting a shot at the position.

I've got to convince myself, that making the playoffs is all that matters. It's going to be a long season for us Bomber fans.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Pretty good chance we start the season 0-3 IMO. The Lions were the Grey Cup pick of many pundits.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Neutral perspective from a RedBlacks fan who was at the game:

* Collaros was.... not good. Two picks, three really with one called back on a holding penalty. First half in particular their offense had no rhythm. I was sitting behind the Bombers bench and the iPads were out constantly. They looked better from about halfway through the second quarter, though.
* Bombers D actually looked allright. RedBlacks had trouble getting into the end zone. Bent but didn't break
* My God, did it rain here at the end. I ditched & watched the end of the game from home, but there was still lightning where I was when they came back out. Didn't figure anyone was going to score in that kind of rain. No one in the crowd knew about the possibility of the game getting cancelled, but it emptied pretty fast nonetheless. It was the kind of rain that felt like it was going to go all night.

FWIW, folks in Ottawa are actually pretty thrilled with Dru Brown. If you want to know why, look at this list: List of Ottawa Redblacks starting quarterbacks - Wikipedia

We've had a one-legged Masoli and the ghost of Matt Nichols, that's it.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I have to laugh at the state of emergency being declared over starting the season 0 - 2.

While we definitely need to straighten out our act, but if there is one think I have learnt over years of watching CFL ball you can struggle for the first half of the season, still make playoffs and still win the Grey Cup.

I actually think that is the Bombers approach this year. Rest guys early (preseason), use the first half of the season to get their game going and ensure that our 5 best games or our last 5 games of the season. We had strong starts the past couple of seasons and then played our worst games in playoffs.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Neutral perspective from a RedBlacks fan who was at the game:

* Collaros was.... not good. Two picks, three really with one called back on a holding penalty. First half in particular their offense had no rhythm. I was sitting behind the Bombers bench and the iPads were out constantly. They looked better from about halfway through the second quarter, though.
* Bombers D actually looked allright. RedBlacks had trouble getting into the end zone. Bent but didn't break
* My God, did it rain here at the end. I ditched & watched the end of the game from home, but there was still lightning where I was when they came back out. Didn't figure anyone was going to score in that kind of rain. No one in the crowd knew about the possibility of the game getting cancelled, but it emptied pretty fast nonetheless. It was the kind of rain that felt like it was going to go all night.

FWIW, folks in Ottawa are actually pretty thrilled with Dru Brown. If you want to know why, look at this list: List of Ottawa Redblacks starting quarterbacks - Wikipedia

We've had a one-legged Masoli and the ghost of Matt Nichols, that's it.
Completely forgot they had Trevor Harris for a few years there

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wonder how long the Winnipeg media will go along with O'Shea's kind of dismissive attitude. If it was a Jets coach, they'd be all over him, but the Bombers' media beat is a more sympathetic one, for now.

At this point, it feels like the Bombers have fallen short of their potential to be a real dynasty during this window. A couple of disappointing Grey Cup performances and now they look like they might be beyond their window.

On an optimistic note, it's hard to miss the CFL playoffs and the Grey Cup is one of the easiest pro sports championships to win, and the Bombers have enough talent to win it, even if they go into the playoffs as underdogs.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I wasn't able to watch the game but I at least caught the final half of the 4th quarter (including waiting out the weather delay) and there are serious issues with the offence if Buck Pierce is calling a pass for three straight plays from the 8yd line and all of them had receivers go into the end zone before turning and looking for the ball (as Collaros is getting pressured/sacked). Collaros/Pierce need to get that LaPolice-era style of CFL offence where you take advantage of the waggle and your CFL corners playing so far off the receiver, feels like they're just living-and-dying by the big play even more so than the last two years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wasn't able to watch the game but I at least caught the final half of the 4th quarter (including waiting out the weather delay) and there are serious issues with the offence if Buck Pierce is calling a pass for three straight plays from the 8yd line and all of them had receivers go into the end zone before turning and looking for the ball (as Collaros is getting pressured/sacked). Collaros/Pierce need to get that LaPolice-era style of CFL offence where you take advantage of the waggle and your CFL corners playing so far off the receiver, feels like they're just living-and-dying by the big play even more so than the last two years.
It's a particular problem when the Bombers hadn't established any threat from the running game, and the pass protection was porous all game.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Agreed. My brother was screaming at the TV to put Streveler on the field and make the defence guess whether it's him, Johnny, or Demski taking the ball. Seven yards on three tries should be doable and seems smarter than passing it thrice especially given the weather conditions.

At least run it on first down and see if you can get a bit closer. 2nd and goal from the four or five opens things up a bit in the playbook.

do the bombers go after shawn oakman?
I imagine we don't have the cap for him.

I think back to last year when the d-line was thin and Lemon was available for most of the year. Not sure we made a pitch for him.

This year, Worthy and Whitehead are both sitting in free agency and we have a shitass returner. We must either have no money or are saving it for something.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Agreed. My brother was screaming at the TV to put Streveler on the field and make the defence guess whether it's him, Johnny, or Demski taking the ball. Seven yards on three tries should be doable and seems smarter than passing it thrice especially given the weather conditions.

At least run it on first down and see if you can get a bit closer. 2nd and goal from the four or five opens things up a bit in the playbook.

I imagine we don't have the cap for him.

I think back to last year when the d-line was thin and Lemon was available for most of the year. Not sure we made a pitch for him.

This year, Worthy and Whitehead are both sitting in free agency and we have a shitass returner. We must either have no money or are saving it for something.
I wouldn't mind seeing more of Streveler, especially when the run game is struggling and Collaros is shaky. They are such different QB's, and it means the D has to adjust and worry about containment. Strev going in for the occasional 1st down means their D has to think a bit more.

I'd love to see what Whitehead has this year. He might not be as young as he used to be, but experience in returning, making the right decisions, can be much more important than pure speed or even agility. Can't be worse than what we've seen from our n00bs.

I don't think the sky is falling - the health factor is pretty huge right now. But I agree with others that the O Line is concerning precisely because it's not like we're missing 3 starters or anything like the D...

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If I'm the Bombers I think it's time to start thinking about changes. With Lawson, one of the highest paid DTs in the CFL, and Kenny Lawler, one of the highest paid WRs in the CFL, both on the 6 game and likely to stay there for at least 6 games there has to be some cap room opened up. Players salaries on the 6 game don't count towards the cap, assuming they stay on the 6 game IR for at least 6 games.

Wonder if they could afford to sign Worthy, release Mitchell? Mitchell is on a rookie deal so he's as cheap as they come, but can't find an extra 10-20k for Worthy somehow?

If Fox is going to miss time, sign Oakman for the interior. Big hulking run stopper in the middle is exactly what they need.

Time to make a change on the interior of the OL. IMO bench Kolankowski, who's always been just a placeholder. Start Eli. And Neufeld should be on notice, IMO. If it doesn't improve there, Gave Wallace is waiting just off screen to take that spot as well.

No choice but to give Lofton some extra leeway, but he hasn't been the biggest problem.

I'd shuffle the WR's as well. Ontaria Wilson hasn't shown anything, let's rotate in someone else.

I'm not convinced the Bombers make any moves this week, but starting 0-3 for sure we are going to see some changes. Bombers have been accused of being overly loyal recently, but they could afford to be since they were winning so much. O'Shea was never afraid to make a change when things weren't going well early on, he will need to bring some of that fire back from early on in his coaching career here.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Bighill was also on 6 game... now he's not... let's wait with Lawson

I think it's more about accepting that we can have a backup American at RB... if buck has no faith in augie then why keep him here - why not just bring back greg McRae

Bombers need legit DE depth though... age has to catch up to WJ soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad