OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (0-4) - Well this has happened. What next? - Next vs Ottawa July 5 730pm

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Best scenario for the Bombers is get a few wins in the first half of the season hopefully get everyone on O and D healthy and make a run in the second half straight thru to the playoffs. A lot will have to go right for this scenario to happen.

Reactions: Jets 31

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
1719606574700.png

Reactions: kanadalainen

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The burning question now: will we beat the Elks? I have a feeling they are going to pass us. I’d start looking to next year immediately, which could be ugly too.
Lol. This kind of panic is hilarious to me. Bombers are still in this year for sure. Hell I'd argue they still have as good a chance as anyone to win the division. It's way too early to be writing the year off.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Lol. This kind of panic is hilarious to me. Bombers are still in this year for sure. Hell I'd argue they still have as good a chance as anyone to win the division. It's way too early to be writing the year off.
It's the CFL, two teams made it in the playoffs with a losing record last year and that was mostly because of years of mismanagement and an injured QB knocking Saskatchewan out, and then it was the Ti-Cats. If you get healthy and find a groove, you can go all the way and win: that was the Bombers in 2019 finding Collaros to make a good offence great, and the Als last year in finding Shawn Lemon and Darnell Sankey to make a good defence great.

All that being said, I worry about the amount of injuries piling up that will put lots of pressure and attention on Collaros and Oliveira (and the lacklustre showing from the OL thus far) resulting in compounding of their injuries or exhaustion, and the defence not establishing a good scheme and instead trying to cover for their slow veterans or young corners. Hard to find that groove in these types of circumstances.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
One thing to keep in mind, with Lawler, Lawson, and Schoen on the 6 game list the Bombers will be banking some serious cap room. This will give them the flexibility to go out and get a guy if they need later. Maybe a Eugene Lewis was being used very sporadically by Bethel-Thompson in Edmonton?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It's the CFL, two teams made it in the playoffs with a losing record last year and that was mostly because of years of mismanagement and an injured QB knocking Saskatchewan out, and then it was the Ti-Cats. If you get healthy and find a groove, you can go all the way and win: that was the Bombers in 2019 finding Collaros to make a good offence great, and the Als last year in finding Shawn Lemon and Darnell Sankey to make a good defence great.

All that being said, I worry about the amount of injuries piling up that will put lots of pressure and attention on Collaros and Oliveira (and the lacklustre showing from the OL thus far) resulting in compounding of their injuries or exhaustion, and the defence not establishing a good scheme and instead trying to cover for their slow veterans or young corners. Hard to find that groove in these types of circumstances.

OL finally started to find their groove in the 2nd half last week. Oliveira hasn't been anywhere close to healthy so far this year, hopefully that turns around. I'm less worried about the O right now.

The D is a question mark. But I think we saw the Deatrick Nicols effect out there last week. Or rather the effect not having him makes. The injury replacement Marquise Bridges struggled to keep up to Hollins. It's a different beast with Nichols. The DL and play calling need to improve for sure.

Well see but this season has barely gotten going. Last two games have been right there, but just slipped away. It'll come together soon. Now how well and how often it comes together is still a question mark. But MTL-SSK, these teams are peaking here early. Same thing Bombers did in 2022 and 2023. Dominated the summers. Well see where things land but I don't see those teams as nearly as great as they've played to date. It's a long season.

Reactions: snowkiddin

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Bombers are supposed to be a ground and pound team that has drifted into big play passing... buck has gone full lapo

The strev/oliviera package is not going to be easy to scheme against - what worries me is how we went away from that late last game...

I think Neufeld is actually the biggest problem on the OL right now and it trickles into C and RT... get Eli in there with big body and it changes a lot

Same on DL - Thomas has never been an every down guy... he holds his own but there's no push - bomber scouts are always good with import Dline

Younger is scary but fix the DL and see if that changes things

Forget the demski jet sweep and really just focus on quick outs/slants to demski and woli - that's probably enough to keep collaros upright

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Bombers are supposed to be a ground and pound team that has drifted into big play passing... buck has gone full lapo

The strev/oliviera package is not going to be easy to scheme against - what worries me is how we went away from that late last game...

I think Neufeld is actually the biggest problem on the OL right now and it trickles into C and RT... get Eli in there with big body and it changes a lot

Same on DL - Thomas has never been an every down guy... he holds his own but there's no push - bomber scouts are always good with import Dline

Forget the demski jet sweep and really just focus on quick outs/slants to demski and woli - that's probably enough to keep collaros upright
Agree with Neuf and Thomas, those two are past their best before date and I have a feeling loyalty on the Bombers part keeps them in the lineup.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Agree with Neuf and Thomas, those two are past their best before date and I have a feeling loyalty on the Bombers part keeps them in the lineup.
Thomas is fine as a rotational national but he’s being forced to start due to the Lawson injury (and injuries to the DL in general).

Neufeld is a bit of a weird career arc — was shitty for years, then just mediocre for years, then it all together and became elite for a season or two, but now he’s aging out. Wouldn’t be opposed to starting one of our Canadian backups in his place.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Thomas is fine as a rotational national but he’s being forced to start due to the Lawson injury (and injuries to the DL in general).

Neufeld is a bit of a weird career arc — was shitty for years, then just mediocre for years, then it all together and became elite for a season or two, but now he’s aging out. Wouldn’t be opposed to starting one of our Canadian backups in his place.
The 'elite' part coincided with WJ and Jeffcoat primes and a massive rotation of DL

Reactions: snowkiddin

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013

The Bombers have all sorts of problems and with the O-line, imo, it starts with our current C. Sure, get Eli in there but at C. On D, and again just my opinion, it starts down the middle, Thomas is taking too many snaps and our S, Alexander, has lost more than a step. And don't get me started on our punter.....

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
For all the hand wringing the Bombers are literally two plays away from being 2-1. In Ottawa they were inches away from a TD late after the delay. And against BC if Collaros sees Clercius open over the top from the 7 instead of dumping in underneath to Demski they go up by 5/7 pts instead of 1 pt late in the fourth and much more likely to hold on. It's really not far away from turning around.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
One thing to keep in mind, with Lawler, Lawson, and Schoen on the 6 game list the Bombers will be banking some serious cap room. This will give them the flexibility to go out and get a guy if they need later. Maybe a Eugene Lewis was being used very sporadically by Bethel-Thompson in Edmonton?
There might not be as much cap room as we think with certain players injured long-term as bonuses count towards the cap regardless of games missed so there is no cap relief in those situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad